New Jersey

Need NNJ Venue Help!

Hey all!  First post.  Looking for a venue in NNJ for my June 2012 wedding (either the 23rd or the 30th) with an "outdoorsy feel."  We are having 150-160 people.  I definitely want guests to enjoy the grounds and am looking for that warm summer night feeling.  FI and I want to avoid places too close to main roads or parking lots (in NNJ thats tough, I know!)  We seem to be leaning towards country clubs but I keep hearing about club members being around during the reception.  I also want a rustic type atmosphere (i.e. no hotel ballroom or standard banquet room). 
So far we have visited Lake Valhalla and liked it a lot.  Plan to visit Lake Mohawk CC and Indian Trail Club.  Love Park Savoy but our guest list isnt big enough for a Saturday.  Any feedback on those places or suggestions would be AWESOME.  I'm feeling like I'm being too picky but I really want a venue that is kind of secluded.  Thanks all for your help!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need NNJ Venue Help!

• edited December 2011
    Perona Farms?
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The Lake Valhalla CC is beautiful and the food is wonderful. I had my 10 year high school reunion there and I can't complain. But, I think that the members of the club are allowed to be on the premises which for a summer wedding could mean beach volleyball going on...so you may want to keep that in mind.

Have you looked at The Manor in West Orange? It's on Prospect Avenue which is a main road, but it's set so far back that you don't even know/see a road from the grounds. Their garden area for the ceremony is beautiful and the food is great. I'm getting married there in April and everyone has been wonderful to work with so far. It can also hold 150-160 guests easily.

Good luck and happy planning!
  • TaraK22TaraK22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Castle at Skylands Manor in Ringwood is gorgeous, and is definitely secluded and has beuatiful grounds. However, they were pretty pricey from what I remember when I looked at venues, so not sure if it'd fit in your budget.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have you thought about Smoke Rise Village Inn in Kinnelon? Also, if you're willing to cross the border into NY state, there's Dolce/IBM in Palisades.

You can try Orange Lawn Tennis Club in South Orange. I think they divert the tennis players away from the clubhouse during events.
  • edited December 2011
    Perona Farms is gorgeous for an outdoor wedding.  It has beautiful grounds and the manager is really helpful.  If you are interested in NY, Tappan Hill and Tarrytown House are both gorgeous manors.  I would also recommend the Pearl River Hilton.  All beautiful for a summer wedding.

We are doing the Westmount Country Club, which I LOVE.  It is in West Paterson, NJ, and off of all local roads.

What is your price rance?
    Click here -->> for our wedding website ! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lake Mohawk is lovely.  You might also want to consider Farmstead GC in Andover, but as you note, they don't close for a wedding and you'll still have golfer's milling around the course.
  • edited December 2011
    Lake Mohwak is nice, but I think may be tight with 150-160 people? Crystal Springs is an option- very pricey, but nice. Another option would be in Orange County NJ Catlin Gardens. We thought the grounds, and price, were great at Bretton Woods Manor in Morris Plains, but I have not heard good things about the food. If you can get a tasting first, that may help. The Park Avenue club alos has pretty grounds in Florham Park.  We had the same problem w/ the Park Savory for a Saturday June wedding, but I do remember they told me if you wanted a Saturday afternoon, the would lower the minimum.
  • KarKarnjKarKarnj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try the Mountain Lakes Country CLub.
  • edited December 2011
    I second Smoke Rise in Kinnelon. I went to a wedding there a few years ago and was impressed with the food and service.
  • maddie7maddie7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would tell you to look at The Grand Summit- the cocktail room floors are the original slate that horse carriages dropped off passengers... also the tudor castle feel is great.    http://grandsummit.com/socialevents/index.cfm

Or maybe http://twinbrooks.com/
  • edited December 2011
    try Flanders Valley country club in flanders... its a little off the beaten track, gorgeous farm land setting, its not a huge place- they only do one wedding at a time, which is great. doesn't have a "Wedding factory" feel.
      we went to a wedding there 2 years ago, and it was really nice!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your suggestions!! We have a guest list of 180 but that will probably shrink down to 150-160.  We visited the Olde Mill Inn tonight in Basking Ridge.  My family loves it.  I really like the decor and the fact that the rooms are right there.  I dont like the fact that there are a lot of guest rooms that look out to the courtyard where cocktail hour would be.  Visiting Crystal Plaza, Indian Trail Club, and Rockaway River CC this week.  I think it is going to end up being a choice between the access to the outdoors (and no major roads obviously visible) and the wedding ammenities we want (versus a country club where they are a club first and then do weddings...no bridal party suite, etc.)
    I think I'll feel better after seeing both types of venues...hopefully something will meet my crazy person ideas of what I wanted.  Plus, so many places are booked already, it is insane.  We pretty much have to make a decision by this weekend! Any more suggestions or reviews are welcomed!! You're the best!!

P.S. NY venues mentioned are beautiful, but too far for a lot of our guests.  Westmount and Smoke Rise Inn are also fantastic but we've been to annual events there so I'm looking for something new.
    I'm checking out Perona Farms and and Grand Summit tonight as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried Ramsey Country Club?  Not sure what are of NJ you are in, but since it's on a golf course it has great scenery and a beautiful stone exterior.  
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards