Wedding Etiquette Forum

"and guest" scenario

I am having a 25th anniversary party/vow renewal in March.  It will be similar to a wedding reception in that we will have cocktail hour, sit-down meal, open bar and dancing.  I am in the process of getting my invitations ready to mail and have a question.  My friend has a fairly long term on/off relationship (they were living together but are not any longer yet they are still dating).  I know her SO pretty well but he would not, on his own, be on my guest list.  When addressing my friend's invitation, would it be proper to address it to "Friend and guest" in case they are "off again" by March?
imageimage

Re: "and guest" scenario

• Since you say the relationshp is long term, I would address it to both if they are dating currently.  If they are "off again" by March, I would just call your friend and let her know that she is welcome to bring a guest of her choice.
  • Thanks, libby, that's kind of what I was thinking but didn't want her to feel like she needed to come solo or for him to assume that he's stil invited if they aren't together.  Which leads to another question...as per etiquette, if he is invited by name as her guest, would he then be "able" to come on his own if they were to part ways?
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_and-guest-scenario?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a30d673-671e-4df4-9c0e-336955c117e5Post:3ec21ce4-f6d3-47b8-8292-933a4d33735c">Re: "and guest" scenario</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, libby, that's kind of what I was thinking but didn't want her to feel like she needed to come solo or for him to assume that he's stil invited if they aren't together.  Which leads to another question...as per etiquette, if he is invited by name as her guest, would he then be "able" to come on his own if they were to part ways?
    Posted by happyfor25[/QUOTE]

If they parted ways, he should understand that he is no longer invited as her guest.  In that instance, I would invite any new relationship she's in...assuming that you want to invite a guest for her.
  • happyfor25happyfor25 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Oh I absolutely want her to feel free to bring a guest, we're inviting everyone to bring a guest.  I hadn't even given it any thought until I was addressing hers and just kind of paused to ponder it.

Thanks, you all reinforced what I was thinking.

ETA:  I actually wouldn't even mind if he came if they "part ways" but wouldn't want her to feel uncomfortable.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards