Attire & Accessories Forum

Big Bliss

So, am I the only one who is annoyed at the TLC special for "Say Yes to the Dress: Big Bliss"? Why do they need to make a special episode ans squeeze in as many BBW brides as possible, and not mix them in with all the other brides that they showcase? Im offended.

Anyone else annoyed by this as a BBW bride?

Re: Big Bliss

• Ya I agree. And the title "Big Bliss??"
  • Its entirely prejudiced. I may not be a stick figure, but Im still beautiful, and I should be honored and loved just as much as any skinny minnie bride!
  • While I would classify myself as a bit on the heavy side, I'm not BBW by any means. But yes, I think it's offensive to have a show that highlights them as BBW. They should be mixed in with the "regular" brides. 
    Anniversary
  • I think it's just an excuse for them to have another spin-off to try to make more money.
  • A few brides that were not stick figures on regular episodes talked about being insecure and dreading the experience and then find that they are actually pleased and happy with how they look when they thought they wouldn't.

I can see how some might take offense, however what about the viewers who can relate to feeling insecure and dreading the experience (no matter what dress size you wear).  Then they watch a "Big Bliss" episode which gives them confidence since they see a bride that might have the same worries or issues they have.  For those that do enjoy the show having a whole half hour devoted to it would seem great.  Instead of them having to watch a show where they don't FEEL that they relate to most of the brides, they get a whole show to really enjoy and FEEL like they relate to.

This is the same for a lot of TV shows out there.  While some may completely relate to what they are watching, others will find it offensive.  

If I was offended by a television show I wouldn't watch it.  I would also know that just because I don't like it doesn't mean everyone dislikes it and it is wrong.  I'm just glad I have the option of changing the channel.

There are a ton of shows out their about women's body images and how super models and models are unhealthy and stick thin.  There are however those models that work very hard to look how they look and are not unhealthy.  How do you think they feel watching show after show devoted to talking about how they are on drugs and have eating disorders.  That would upset me if I was a model.  However I am not so I find that show very interesting :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's not just an episode, it's another spin-off or series. They ran it last year. I don't mind it, but I agree, they should just mix all sizes into the regular show. Brides all want the same thing, to look their most beautiful. I watch all of them, lol
  • edited April 2011
    I would much rather see them do a spin off all about brides who don't have several THOUSAND dollars to spend on one dress.   I get so jaded watching girl after girl who has 5 grand or so to spend on a gown. 

Say Yes to the Dress...And Financial Security.  Make it happen, TLC!

EDIT:  Oh, sh*t it's on right now!! I didn't know that and was like "Heh, speak of the devil..."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_big-bliss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:2c7831f5-4384-41bc-8d84-9b187b0f7d68Post:e39b40bf-0519-46b2-8c35-bb32d19ad3f1">Re: Big Bliss</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would much rather see them do a spin off all about brides who don't have several THOUSAND dollars to spend on one dress.   I get so jaded watching girl after girl who has 5 grand or so to spend on a gown.  Say Yes to the Dress...And Financial Security.  Make it happen, TLC!
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I totally agree on this point.  They should spend the time slot making a show on how to get married for under 10k or 5k.  I bet they would have a ton of people watching including myself.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't think much of it. The brides on Big Bliss didn't seem to mind, and I'm positive they knew they were going to be on that certain episode. If you don't like the show, skip it next time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards