• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
April 2010 Weddings

I'm changing my name

so - after long thought... i was going to hyphenate my name and Chris was like "i'll support you in whatever you decide" - but I could tell deep down he was a little hurt. He would make the little comments, etc. I just cringed every time someone called me Mrs. S because Chris is divorced and his ex is a psycho b**ch and I didn't want to be the 2nd Mrs. S.

in the end, I decided that it meant more to Chris for me to change my name than it did to me to keep my name (or not be "2nd Mrs S). So I filed my social security change papers - and OMG - it was like I made Chris' century when he knew it was official that I had decided to take his name completely. it was worth it to make him happy - I'm still cringing at being called mrs. s though - hopefully someday that will pass.

anyone else have 'issues' with changing their names?

cass
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Ceremony Location - Scottish Castle

,p> save the date

Re: I'm changing my name

• I am look forward to changing my name.  I think i am going to drop my middlie name and keep my maiden and new name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have any issues with changing my name other than not wanting to deal with the paperwork. And I need to keep my maiden name for my books, and dealing with the distributors is not something I want to deal with either.

As for being the second Mrs., my only advice is to not think of yourself as the second, but as the TRUE Mrs. S. After all, you're the love of his life, the first woman was just a stand-in until you got there.

My mom still has her married name for the kids, she didn't take my stepdad's name. And when my dad was married the second and third times, no one ever really thought twice about it because it made sense, it's easier for kids to have the same last name as the parent.
  • I like my new last name. I always get a little jolt when I have to give people my full name at work :D
  • I am also all for changing my name, but I'm the absolute last in my family's blood line.  So when its officially changed, that's it.  My dad is a little hurt I'm not keeping it, but it's not like my kids will have the name either.  I'm just going to add my maiden name as a middle name.  And if we hyphenated it would an illiteration overload...
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2010-weddings_im-changing-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:589Discussion:31335f97-ac78-45d4-8d5c-336d4ef78e3fPost:e4a964eb-5106-458d-9c67-149429835945">Re: I'm changing my name</a>:
    [QUOTE]  haha i changed my name on facebook, isn't that good enough?!  ;)
    Posted by crakd[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>hahahaha if only it was that easy!  FB is connected to everything else!</div><div>
    </div><div>yeah my dad was lil hurt too (he has FOUR girls) but hey it's my/your life you need to do what you need to do to make yourself happy!  </div><div>i'm a teacher so it is def weird having all the kids say wait, what's your name?  lol</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards