Honeymoon Discussions

St. John

Has anyone been to St. John in the US virgin islands?  My FI and I are thinking about staying at the Westin there......any advice and opinions about the hotel and island would be great!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: St. John

• The Westin is nice.  The beach is just okay IMO, mostly because there are so many nicer beaches in St John.  The pool however is really nice.

The Westin has it's own ferry from the airport to the hotel for a few.  Well worth it IMO.  Plus you can use the shuttle to go back to St Thomas for a shopping trip if you want.

You are only a few minutes from town where there are a lot of great restaurants, bars and shopping.   The National Park is also not too far away (they  have the best beaches).

There are some great activites right from the resort.  You can take trips to the Virgin Gorda,  Jost Van Dyke, snorkel trips, sunset sails, rent your own dingy, powerboat, parasailing, jet skis all right from the beach or dock.

Feel free to ask any quesitons.  I lived above the Westin until I moved to St thomas.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • St. John is my favorite island.  The beaches there are pure perfection!  I've never stayed at the Westin, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. 
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • St. John is gorgeous!! As pp mentioned the beaches there are absolutely beautiful, I'm not much help since I never stayed at The Westin, but I highly recommend taking a trip to Trunk Bay while you're there and snorkeling is a must!
  • JHS16JHS16 member
    First Comment
    I agree, St. John is the best Caribbean island I've ever visited.   Don't miss the snorkeling!  Definitely rent a jeep so you can travel all around the island and visit the quiet beaches. 
  • lyndausvi - how much should we expect to spend a day on food if we don't stay at an all inclusive?  How about the price of alcohol?

TIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_st-john?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:807f3e5d-7bef-4488-9ad7-dc568490ca21Post:f337dd97-9b8a-4bba-b6fd-3fde56bfb9e4">Re: St. John</a>:
    [QUOTE]lyndausvi - how much should we expect to spend a day on food if we don't stay at an all inclusive?  How about the price of alcohol? TIA!
    Posted by Lindze75[/QUOTE]

FYI = there are no AI in St John.  There are some in St Thomas though.

food is expensive.  There is no way around it.  Booze is fairly cheap though.  how much you need depends on how you eat.   Dinner entrees are in the low-20's to mid-30's pp.  Burgers and sandwiches at a restaurants are going to run you $12+.  apps and bar food will run you $6-$12.

If costs are an issue be creative.   Eat a late breakfast and then a small snack mid afternoon.  Go to the Gotto Deli or Starfish and get sandwiches ($7 or so) for the beach.  Some are big enough for 2 people.  Hit the happy hours at the bar for drink specials.  Split a few appetizers instead of eating large dinners every night. 

There are ways to not spend a fortune, you just need to be creative.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards