Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Do I tip on the hair/makeup trial run?

I am by no means opposed to tipping for my upcoming hair & makeup trial run - I just want to understand the proper ettiquette so that I do the right thing.

And, if I do tip, how much? The standard 20 percent, like when you go get your routine haircut/color?

Thank you!

Re: Do I tip on the hair/makeup trial run?

• Yes, I tipped as normal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Thank you - I did just that (even though it was AWFUL but that's another post entirely :) )
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_do-i-tip-on-the-hairmakeup-trial-run?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:58537e6c-8992-478b-b494-48fc50f908a2Post:944871c7-0d65-491e-b359-4f50202864d3">Re: Do I tip on the hair/makeup trial run?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you - I did just that (even though it was AWFUL but that's another post entirely :) )
    Posted by drg424[/QUOTE]

<div>What do you do if the trial run is awful? I am planning on doing mine 2 weeks prior at the salon (the wedding is a couple hours out of town). So I'm trusting that it will be fine since my options are limited. Are you going to find someone else?</div>
  • As a freelance makeup artist and owner of my own makeup artistry business, I don't expect a tip for the trial or wedding, because I get all the money anyway.  Unless you feel that the artist did an incredible job, you aren't obligated to tip.  I usually do get a tip at the wedding, which I won't refuse! 
  • IIf your trial is awful, you need to find someone else.  You should start the process of trials one to two months in advance.  Two weeks is not enough time.  I book weddngs for my makeup artistry business months and months in advance.  So if you wait too long, you might not find a makeup artist who is available.  Good luck!
  • <p>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_do-i-tip-on-the-hairmakeup-trial-run?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:58537e6c-8992-478b-b494-48fc50f908a2Post:44de5fae-039e-45aa-bb63-fde2d2ceaed0">Re: Do I tip on the hair/makeup trial run?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do I tip on the hair/makeup trial run? : What do you do if the trial run is awful? I am planning on doing mine 2 weeks prior at the salon (the wedding is a couple hours out of town). So I'm trusting that it will be fine since my options are limited. Are you going to find someone else?
    Posted by lbsteen[/QUOTE]

Sorry - just saw the reply! Okay, well, I used the preferred vendor recommended by my venue coordinator. I just assumed the preferred vendors were all top-notch, vetted professionals. From what I can tell, the MUA basically provided her services out of her home/car and after an increasingly awkward couple of hours, I reflected on the following:

<strong>Makeup:
    </strong>1. She did not ask me what colors I prefer in terms of foundation, blush, eyeshadow
    2. She did not ask me about my skin type and/or imply she would account for that with the makeup she selected
    3. She did not use any primer or bronzer or anything extra. Just the standard foundation/blush/powder/eyeshadow
    4. She did not draw in my brows and the makeup was applied with about 1/3 of the precision and time I apply to my makeup when I'm *really* getting ready
    5. My face was pink toned from the foundation she chose (I am mixed race: white and hispanic)
    6. She had an entire baggie of false lashes but did not apply any to me as part of the trial, and only put a teeny tiny bit of mascara on, not even curling my lashes.
    7. Basically the makeup trial was half-a**ed and felt like someone's cousin was playing dress up with my face - she did not come across as a true professional, and I could have outdone her 10000x on my worst day.

<strong>Hair:
    </strong>Same as #7 basically. And she wanted 100$ for it on my wedding day. I asked for the old Hollywood wave that's so popular right now and she curled part of my hair, told me it would be better when my bangs grew out and left it at that - literally.

It was very awkward sending her the emailing making an excuse about how I just wasnt' sure what I wanted yet. Seriously, I could do a better job as a complete novice than her as a professional hair and makeup artist.

When I sent a photo to my fiance, he wrote back "no thanks."

So yeah, my second trial is scheduled tonight, actually, and I'm going to take my lessons learned and be more direct and ask specific questions about the make up she is using, what she'll apply the day of and can you please at least do all of my hair so I can see what I can expect on my wedding day.
    </p>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards