New York-Hudson Valley
Options

what do i do?

invitations were already sent out and my FI's mother added on two extra sets of guests the week before they were going out, now she wants to add one two more sets (non-family members, her sister in law's brother and sister).  she is not paying for anything, my parents are.  she is inviting more people than my family and our friends combined.  when i brought this up to my FI he asked me if it we were keeping score now.  his mother didn't tell me or my mother about the add ons, she just said it to my FI for me to write out two more invitations.  she didn't want to bring it up on sunday when she, my mom, and me were packaging all the invitations up!  she didnt want to get me mad so instead she's making me fight with my FI instead of asking my mother if she could add more people.  what do i do?  i don't want these people invited and it's not fair that my parents can barely pay for what they are doing now (she also is inviting 30 children when i said i didn't want kids.. she said well i'll pay for them and i very clearly said, this isn't a money issue, this is an adult event) and she keeps adding people.  the last set she added on were the in-laws of her nephew!  i should add that my mother cut numerous family members and friends off the list because it's over 300 and i wanted a small wedding. Embarassed
Anniversary
my read shelf:
Stephanie's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) BabyFruit Ticker

Re: what do i do?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand how you're feeling. I personally would speak with her in front of your mom and your FI so that there isn't any miscommunication. It seems that she is afraid to tell you and your mom so she puts FI in the middle. I would suggest a lunch to discuss "wedding related things" and bring it up. Or speak with your FI and tell him how you're feeling and have him put a stop to it. It's your day and you want it as special and drama-free as possible. :) Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    just say no. if she's not paying, she gets no say. it's that simple. especially if invites are out/going out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    just tell her that your family is nice enough to pay for the whole wedding and they just cant afford to keep adding people.
    My mother inlaw tried to add alot of ppl to our list after she flat out said to me and my family "im not putting one cent toward that wedding",so if she asked to invite a friend or whatever i just said there was no room and if my huby brought it up i would remind him that my parents were paying for everything and his family didnt want to help so they had no say in anything wedding related.
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    "Sorry, but our invitations have already gone out, and we cannot accommodate anyone else."
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree with everyone.  You don't invite them and you tell her that the invites are out, your list is set and that is the end of the story.  Look, it may cause problems but in the end, you will be happy and your FI needs to support you in this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This happened to me, with my FI's side adding in people once the invitations went out.  It created a lot of issues with inviting more people than what our room will accommodate easily, so I told them, "Sorry, the invitations already went out and we just can't accommodate anyone else at this time."  It worked very well!

The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
    IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
    IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
    IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    smatuzasmatuza member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for all your support!  i counted everyone she said isn't coming and it's about 50 people from her side, so we are allowing her to invite them.  my mom ok'd it but isn't really happy about it.  although at my FI's cousin's wedding on saturday (which was amazing!), she told me during the cocktail hour that her mother's cousin's daughter from argentina has decided to be in town the week of my wedding and when his grandmother said "i have a wedding that weekend" she just said, ok so i'll come with you... do people not understand that this is a closed event?!?!?!
    Anniversary
    my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Smatuza - I just replied on the "non-factory" post. My parents and sister went to that wedding too. I told them I wanted a review. lol. Glad you thought it was amazing! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards