Michigan-Detroit

Bakery and wedding cake prices

I have a photo of a cake that I definitely want for my summer 2013 wedding, but the prices I've been quoted from several local bakeries are really crappy.  I'm not looking to have a giant cake, just three tiers and not that big -- there will be lots of other desserts on the table.  The problem is there is a LOT of detail (as seen in the photo I've attached) and I think it's scaring off the bakers.  Anyone know someone who will do this for less than $400?  I think that number is totally ridiculous.

Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Re: Bakery and wedding cake prices

• $400 for that small cake? They must be crazy.

Sorry I don't have any super helpful suggestions, I'm getting cupcakes for a reason!
  • How many people does this serve - it looks like  a pretty good sized cake with it being three tiers. For that amound of frosting work $400 doesn't seem all that redic to me.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Haven't looked into cakes yet, but just curious, is your last name Fracassa? I ask because I have family with that last name.

• How many people do you need to feed with it. Graf's in Farmington Hills has reasonable prices I think. For example, 80-90 people, 13" 10" 7" is $290.00.

But depending on the size, I don't really think that $400 sounds off the charts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bakery-and-wedding-cake-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:0bee3b8b-e012-43d0-8eed-c23f3c737bbfPost:e486edcc-2ca8-49ba-84c8-6d55cf645cfb">Re: Bakery and wedding cake prices</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haven't looked into cakes yet, but just curious, is your last name Fracassa? I ask because I have family with that last name.
    Posted by vk2204[/QUOTE]

Haha, yes, my last name is Fracassa!  What's your name?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bakery-and-wedding-cake-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:0bee3b8b-e012-43d0-8eed-c23f3c737bbfPost:f304937e-5f44-4713-aa97-495a80eb03fd">Re: Bakery and wedding cake prices</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many people do you need to feed with it. Graf's in Farmington Hills has reasonable prices I think. For example, 80-90 people, 13" 10" 7" is $290.00. But depending on the size, I don't really think that $400 sounds off the charts.
    Posted by sbradke[/QUOTE]

That's the thing: I want to have a whole dessert table, with cake pops and possibly cupcakes, so I don't need to feed all of the 115 people that we're inviting (and I hope that number decreases, honestly). 

• We are doing a three tier square cake for 200 people with 2 real tiers and 1 fake one and it's costing us about $500. We are using Iversen's in Dearborn. Gina there has been a real sweetheart, I'm just not sure how close they are to you. They do deliver though.
    image 223 Invited
    image 127 Wouldn't miss it
    image 64 Passed on the fun
    image 32 Still undecided
    RSVP Date: August 1, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with Kiki, $400 doesn't seem that unreasonable given the detail work here and the size that that example is.

Some options
    - Just do one small cake with this detail. Since you'll have other desserts, you don't need a huge cake. Or, even if you want everyone to have the opportunity to have one slice of cake, you can still do a very small display cake and have sheet cakes of the same flavor in the back. You don't need 3 tiers, you could get by with one and still have cake for everyone.
    - Take out some of the detail work. Do solid round colors instead of incorporating all the patterns. do just one pattern instead of several, etc.

Side note: this is probably fondant, right? That's more expensive to work with, so that's also helping the price go up. Also, do you like the taste of fondant? I was at a wedding where the entire icing was fondant and it was terrible. I have a feeling the same would need to happen for this cake to work, so be sure you actually enjoy fondant before you cover your cake in it.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Honestly, $400 is more than completely reasonable for a three-tier cake with this amount of intricate detail on all four sides of the cake. The price is based more on the design detail and the amount of time/labor it will take to execute, and somewhat less than the amount of cake. Also, it's hard to tell, but it looks more like a painted cake with some airbrushing rather than fondant, which may or may not make it more expensive. In either case, a design like this in fondant or painted on will take the cake baker a lot of time to complete and get it right.

Meegles4 gave some great suggestions for fitting this into your budget. Not sure how big/small you want the cake, but you could do a two-tier cake instead of three with the bottom tier being 8" or 10" and the top tier being 6" or 8".

I know our cake baker, Tanya of Domestic Arts Custom Cakes, would be able to nail this design and she loves a design challenge/unique cakes. Her website is http://a2cakes.tumblr.com/. That said, I'm not sure she'd be able to do this exact cake for under $400 unless you made some compromises on the size and design. Her consultations are free and her cake tastes amazing.
  • I know of a lady that does cakes, however, she is in Grand Blanc?  I have no idea where your wedding is at?
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bakery-and-wedding-cake-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:0bee3b8b-e012-43d0-8eed-c23f3c737bbfPost:3fcd6959-3c9f-497d-bcf2-ca9e80adc30a">Re: Bakery and wedding cake prices</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bakery and wedding cake prices : Haha, yes, my last name is Fracassa!  What's your name?
    Posted by DFracassa[/QUOTE]

I keep trying to PM you, but it tells me 'user name not found'!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bakery-and-wedding-cake-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:0bee3b8b-e012-43d0-8eed-c23f3c737bbfPost:2420d49b-5e25-42d4-97e7-8e1a851ba029">Re: Bakery and wedding cake prices</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know of a lady that does cakes, however, she is in Grand Blanc?  I have no idea where your wedding is at?
    Posted by dixfam4[/QUOTE]

<div>Who do you know in Grand Blanc?  that's where I'm at</div>
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bakery-and-wedding-cake-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:0bee3b8b-e012-43d0-8eed-c23f3c737bbfPost:74037273-7ef4-46a9-8d10-b08fac151108">Re: Bakery and wedding cake prices</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bakery and wedding cake prices : I keep trying to PM you, but it tells me 'user name not found'!
    Posted by vk2204[/QUOTE]

That's so weird, I tried to PM you and the site just keeps bumping me back to the same page, over and over.  My email is <a href="mailto:daniellefracassa@yahoo.com" rel="nofollow">daniellefracassa@yahoo.com</a>.

• Honestly, it is a really detailed cake, so I dont think the price quote is that outrageous at all. To cut costs, I would maybe eliminate one of the tiers if you are having other desserts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bakery-and-wedding-cake-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:0bee3b8b-e012-43d0-8eed-c23f3c737bbfPost:015aa7c2-259a-4146-9ef2-da4915f6db2c">Bakery and wedding cake prices</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a photo of a cake that I definitely want for my summer 2013 wedding, but the prices I've been quoted from several local bakeries are really crappy.  I'm not looking to have a giant cake, just three tiers and not that big -- there will be lots of other desserts on the table.  The problem is there is a LOT of detail (as seen in the photo I've attached) and I think it's scaring off the bakers.  Anyone know someone who will do this for less than $400?  I think that number is totally ridiculous.  
    Posted by DFracassa[/QUOTE]

Contact Nora at Dessert Diva <a href="http://www.dessertdivallc.com/" rel="nofollow">www.dessertdivallc.com</a>
    Her desserts are AMAZING and very reasonably priced. Let her know that Shay referred you. GOOD LUCK!
  • A great cake place in Fenton is Fun With Frosting.  They do awesome work and are reasonably priced.  You can view some of their work at facebook.com/FunWithFrosting. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards