Not Engaged Yet

Is this real life?

I never thought I'd say "I know someone that has done this" but here I am observing two totally awkward wedding situations.

1 My cousin K. K got engaged to J last November. We aren't really close, but I'm the only person on her day's side of the family she talks to. She got married on May 4th since they're HUGE Star Wars fans. They went to the courthouse, she wore a white dress, he wore dress clothes, and they got married. Her parents flew from New Jersey and everything. There were pics of her at home cutting a cake and making toasts and partying with friends. I wished her congratulations and we talked marriage.

She started posting on Facebook last week about wedding planning. I thought surely, she means for a friend. Nope, next post was about how excited she was to be writing the ceremony. This morning's post was about how she can't wait to go dress shopping. I feel super awkward and hope I'm not invited.

2 Ex girlfriend of friend D named K. K and D broke up, and K started dating new BF, lets call him E. Turns out E is in the country on his visa and a year and a half into their relationship, is threatened with deportation. So what does K do? Suggest they get married!! Because its "just on paper."

Well, six months pass and K and E get into a huge fight over football tickets and E pulls his friends into it. They call K and tell her how horrible of a person she is and if she shows her face at tailgate, they won't be happy, blah blah blah. So K breaks it off with E. But they're still married!!! So now K has to file for divorce and E is back at risk for deportation. And I'm pretty sure what they did is illegal.

Holy cow.
--------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary

Re: Is this real life?

• "Don't call me bro" - that K?
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Do you hear that?  In the distance???

"JERRY! JERRY!"
  • In Response to Re:Is this real life?:[QUOTE]quot;Don't call me broquot; that K? Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! No! Same friend D, but different ex gf. He sure knows how to et him some crazies.

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • In Response to Re:Is this real life?:[QUOTE]Do you hear that?nbsp; In the distance???"JERRY! JERRY!" Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

Right?? I wonder what Cousin K's parents think.

Also, does anyone know if its illegal to marry to avoid deportation?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_is-this-real-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:af9d198c-bb4f-4cbb-b964-d150afb17a52Post:8c8e7788-e9e7-445f-8ed6-032d73985c07">Re:Is this real life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Is this real life?: Right?? I wonder what Cousin K's parents think. Also, does anyone know if its illegal to marry to avoid deportation?
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

<div>According to Switched at Birth, it can cause a humongous investigation.  But I have no actual experience.</div>
    I french with my man
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_is-this-real-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:af9d198c-bb4f-4cbb-b964-d150afb17a52Post:4a5bce4d-d594-49a7-afaf-4bce3dec0f16">Re:Is this real life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Is this real life? : According to Switched at Birth, it can cause a humongous investigation.  But I have no actual experience.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

lol
  • Obviously ABC Family is the authority on immigration laws.
    I french with my man
  • Seriously?  Walk away.... no run the hell away!
  • wow that's a whole lot of crazy..

Anniversary

• That second one is definitely illegal.

Sounds like you know some really crazy people!

• This has to be a movie!? Brilliant. Just brilliant.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_is-this-real-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:af9d198c-bb4f-4cbb-b964-d150afb17a52Post:8c8e7788-e9e7-445f-8ed6-032d73985c07">Re:Is this real life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Is this real life?: Right?? I wonder what Cousin K's parents think. <strong>Also, does anyone know if its illegal to marry to avoid deportation?</strong>

Technically, yes.  However, it's one of those things that's really hard to prove.  The government can investigate by conducting a whole bunch of interviews (I'm assuming that's what happened on Switched at Birth) but usually they don't do much more than revoke the green card, in my experience.  There are a lot of couples out there in similar situations, where for citizenship purposes they just end up getting married a little earlier than they would have wanted, and we can debate the ethics of that all day, but it's not really illegal.

If money changes hands (foreigner pays American $x to marry him/her), though, it's 100% against the law and can be punished pretty heftily.
  • Holy.Mother.

Drew - that's just....i..can't even......what?!?!?! None of this computes...none at all.
  • Audre: My friend and her husband had to go through all these interviews with random questions like "what color are the curtains in the kitchen?"  But they legitimately got married; it was still weird questions though.

And why is your cousin planning a SECOND wedding????  I'm so confused, I thought you only get one!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • My FI married his first wife after dating her 2 weeks.They werent even technically bf and gf and he married her because she was suddenly about to get deported.  She had lived here all her life as her parents were diplomats and she had been ona  work/student visa that was incorrectly proccessed hence the deportation. FI and her were married 6 years she was not the nicest to him but maraige was important to him as were his vows. He helped her pay for school, cars, bought her gifts, took care of her etc. Well she cheated on him, got a boob job, got her citizenship finished without telling him, and left.

I personally think she's the stupidest woman alive since FI is literally the nicest human I've ever met. He's wonderful always there when I need him and I just cant even imagine doing something like that to someone so amazing. On the other hand I thank god everyday that that woman was so stupid, shallow, and mean hearted. He would have done anything to fix that with her because he's that kind of man, but now I have the most amazing man I've ever met in my life. We are like 2 peas in a pod something I never dreamed would happen.

So yes these things do happen.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • One of my good friends is "married" to a guy just "on paper" and she says she gets sick to her stomach every time they have to do an interview. You could face some serious charges if you marry someone just for that purpose and get caught. I honestly cannot figure out why people do this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_is-this-real-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:af9d198c-bb4f-4cbb-b964-d150afb17a52Post:8c8e7788-e9e7-445f-8ed6-032d73985c07">Re:Is this real life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Is this real life?: Right?? I wonder what Cousin K's parents think. Also, does anyone know if its illegal to marry to avoid deportation?

The Proposal. (movie)

I agree with the Jerry chant too. x)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_is-this-real-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:af9d198c-bb4f-4cbb-b964-d150afb17a52Post:93a02661-dbbe-4e48-8a0e-1914cdcfedde">Re:Is this real life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Is this real life? : <strong>The Proposal. (movie)</strong> I agree with the Jerry chant too. x)
    Posted by Lilyrose4242[/QUOTE]

Ryan Reynolds..........drool

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Aud, I had a friend go through something similar. She married this guy who was "just a friend" so he could get a green card. Well, turns out he had actual feelings for her, and it all turned into a big mess. Anyway, he left the country of his own accord, and I think she was able to file for annulment on the basis of abandonment. But, she could have gotten in serious trouble, and they did have to go through a lot of crazy interviews .

She's now married to a different non US citizen...and their "real" wedding is this spring. But, that's another story entirely. 
  • 0.o  People astound me.  Remember my friend who got married to be with her BF when he joined the military even though she is clearly in love with her best friend? (AKA the one I planned the whole wedding for in two days) Ya getting a divorce now...

I don't understand people. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_is-this-real-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:af9d198c-bb4f-4cbb-b964-d150afb17a52Post:93a02661-dbbe-4e48-8a0e-1914cdcfedde">Re:Is this real life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Is this real life? :<strong> The Proposal. (movie)</strong> I agree with the Jerry chant too. x)
    Posted by Lilyrose4242[/QUOTE]

I am baffled as to how this answers the question.

• ]

A quartet of winners, those friends and their SO's...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_is-this-real-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:af9d198c-bb4f-4cbb-b964-d150afb17a52Post:5491bacc-4a9c-4200-906c-cc29071f1ed9">Re:Is this real life?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Is this real life? : I am baffled as to how this answers the question.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>I am equally confused. </div><div>
    </div><div>RWS, that is perfect.</div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards