Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

I LOATHE the taste and texture of fondant...

But I LOVE the 'fabric drape' design it can add to cakes... anybody know of cakemaking things that would have that sort of visual elegance?

Re: I LOATHE the taste and texture of fondant...

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_loathe-taste-texture-of-fondant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:4f817da8-5cb2-493f-a940-0342e12998bfPost:d0d75a84-e073-43df-bf55-31642b101c11">I LOATHE the taste and texture of fondant...</a>:
    [QUOTE]But I LOVE the 'fabric drape' design it can add to cakes... anybody know of cakemaking things that would have that sort of visual elegance?
    Posted by rachellouise67[/QUOTE]

Are you using a baker or making your own cake?  If it's the first, then a professional would be able to show you alternatives that give you the same effect.  If you are planning on doing it yourself, please reconsider.  Unless you are a semi-pro baker, it's not worth it.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • MissKitty0220MissKitty0220 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Couldn't you pull off the fondant when you eat the cake? They ice it with buttercream first so you'd still have frosting (I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, I didn't know it until we did our tastings).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You could use a "substance" known as chocolate plastic (also known as modeling chocolate or chocolate clay). It's a mixture of melted chocolate (or confectionary coating) and corn syrup, and will drape almost as well as fondant. It's not easy to work with, and will cost you a pretty penny, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards