Chit Chat

Corniest things at weddings... Go!

What's the corniest thing you've seen/heard/read about happening at a wedding? What makes you go blekchk when you think about it? 

I'll go first!

One of my friends was recently a bridesmaid in a wedding where she was forced to wear mickey mouse ears the entire time in a church ceremony. The bride, who was significantly more attractive (so goes the story at least) than her now-husband, walked down the aisle to the theme song from Beauty & the Beast with absolutely not one single shred of irony. 

That same friend has recently started me down the rabit hole of youtube wedding videos. I hate the choreographed intro group dances! Especially when they lack a sense of irony. Are you a pop group I'm unaware of? They make me want to cover my eyes and watch through my fingers. 

Also, I'm bored.
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: Corniest things at weddings... Go!

• I don't know if I'd call it corny or just plain over kill. But I was just recently at a wedding with a slideshow constantly playing, a music video to a Backstreet Boy song done by the  BP, photobooth through the reception, 2 photographers and 2 videographers... I understand liking to have pictures and sharing your story, but it made them seem just a touch vain IMO
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_corniest-things-at-weddings-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6045bc49-83f9-47f3-a29a-9cc9652db461Post:2290853a-0f95-48a6-bc55-4fa77252d08d">Re: Corniest things at weddings... Go!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think slideshows are corny.  I don't need to see a ton of pics of you two as children and then together set to some crappy ass music.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]
    This is part of my H's job as a sound/lighting/AV guy and he hates it too. I always want to watch when he's done, because it's funnier when they're strangers to me. Like really? Naked kid in the bathtub pics at your wedding?
  • I have to say that games for the bride and groom are cheesy!  I went to a friend's wedding this summer and the DJ (who wasn't great) made the bride and groom play the "Shoe Game" and answer questions that applied to each one of them.  For example, the question was "Who is the better cook?" and then depending on who the bride and groom thought was the better cook, they would hold that person's shoe in the air.  At times it was kind of funny, but the questions were lame and played out.  Definitely not something I'd have at my wedding.
  • I'm invited to a wedding with a theme of red, white, and blue...and no it will not be done in a classy way. Kind of can't wait to see how it turns out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've probably already posted this story, but its hard to remember who I've told because its so stupid I can't help but repeat it time and time again lol.

The ceremony went pretty well, but during the reception the bride disappeared. The groom and the best man handed around this home-made "ransom" note that said the bride wouldn't be returned until they raised $500.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_corniest-things-at-weddings-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6045bc49-83f9-47f3-a29a-9cc9652db461Post:132298bb-c244-4cee-b490-2d1d47f26c26">Re: Corniest things at weddings... Go!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've probably already posted this story, but its hard to remember who I've told because its so stupid I can't help but repeat it time and time again lol. The ceremony went pretty well, but during the reception the bride disappeared. The groom and the best man handed around this home-made "ransom" note that said the bride wouldn't be returned until they raised $500.
    Posted by LizziebeeUT[/QUOTE]

That's worse than a money dance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think the Here Comes the Bride sign is pretty cheesy.
    And Lizzie that is awful!
  • ZeroOrchestraZeroOrchestra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I was recently in a wedding where each BM/GM "couple" had their own entrance song and when the bride and groom entered we were all forced to do The Dougie Dance. I drank heavily. And, for me, garter tosses are skeezy. That may be an unpopular opinion though.
  • In Response to Re:Corniest things at weddings... Go!:[QUOTE]Ceremonies where the bride returns her purity ring to her father. Creepy and barfy all at the same time. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

What in the actual what. No way.
  • emeejeeayenemeejeeayen member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    I'm dying.

1) I've never heard of someone returning a purity ring! (Then again, I don't know a single person who has had a purity ring at any time.) I can't even imagine witnessing that let alone participating. I want my parents as far removed from my sex life as possible especially in front of an audience.

2) THE RANSOM NOTE? What the what? Did they raise the money?

ETA: wtf are tears of joy packets?
  • My sister was in a wedding once where the wedding coordinator (a  proper southern lady) made all of the bridesmaids get matching pedicures, then made them wear matching pantyhose (she ISSUED them the pantyhose) with strappy sandles.  She even pinched their legs while they were lined up for the processional to make sure they were wearing said issued pantyhose (over their pedicures, with their open-toed shoes, and these weren't the toe-less kind).   I'm pretty sure the bride didn't know the coordinator was doing this.

But that's still not as bad as Mickey Mouse ears.
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_corniest-things-at-weddings-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6045bc49-83f9-47f3-a29a-9cc9652db461Post:4ba7db67-d0ac-419c-93b3-d8a9dd326132">Re:Corniest things at weddings... Go!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Corniest things at weddings... Go!: Yes way. I've seen 3 in the last two years. The worst was the one where the dad was the officiant and had a whole speech written out to the groom about making his little girl a woman. I wanted to crawl under the pew and die.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>nooooooooooooooooooooo</div><div>
    </div><div>I have inappropriate reactions to traumatizing situations. There would have been no way to get me to stop laughing. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_corniest-things-at-weddings-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6045bc49-83f9-47f3-a29a-9cc9652db461Post:4ba7db67-d0ac-419c-93b3-d8a9dd326132">Re:Corniest things at weddings... Go!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Corniest things at weddings... Go!: Yes way. I've seen 3 in the last two years. The worst was the one where the dad was the officiant and had a whole speech written out to the groom about making his little girl a woman. I wanted to crawl under the pew and die.

<div>
    </div><div>OMG! Are you serious! So apparently they believed a girl becomes a woman once she's married and has sex?! What about people who stay single their whole life. I know a lot of missionaries who have never married. I guess they're still little girls. Yikes.</div>
  • I, too, dislike garter tosses and money dances. Non-traditional FTW.

"Congratulations, groom, you get to go deflower my daughter tonight."

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW

SaveSave
  • Chicken Dance + Macarana (spelt right?) = Corny

On a side note my FI and I plan on doing the "shoe game" but we're a couple who won't allow the LAME questions! I had my friend in hesterics when I told her examples of questions they would have to come up with. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest PitaPata Dog tickers my read shelf:
    Jen's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I went to a wedding last summer and the bride and groom had each table sing to them. It was awful. First I dont like singing - to do it infront of 100+ people was not on my to do list. Second I don't want to be inturuped while I am trying to eat to sing to you. Needless to say I got a rather strong drink after this little plan was announced.

On a side note one of my favorite parts of weddings is seeing the slideshows and all the pictures! I love seeing how the couple grew together and all the fun they have had... Yikes now that I typed that out it sounds corney as hell....
  • I have the motherload of corniest things at weddings (you should really just come to my hometown I guess) and most of them we will be having at our wedding (but feel free to make fun of them, I won't be hurt or anything, we are just big on "following tradition")

1. Our transportation between the ceremony & reception will be a hay wagon pulled by a tractor (yes, I made fun of this in another post, but a wedding FI was in last weekend had it and he said it was a great time so now he wants it too)

2. Our bridal party dance is a square dance with bridesmaids changing into their cowboy boots and everything!

3. Someone builds a pig trough and at the wedding the older siblings of the bride & groom who are not married yet have a very fiddly country dance playing and they have to dance on the pig trough until it breaks (this is a tradition in my town, but it won't be done at our wedding cause FI and I are both oldest siblings).

4. Bridal dance (what some people were calling a money dance)-you pay a dollar and get a shot, dance with the bride, then dance in a circle around her until everyone is done, then the groom comes back (he leaves during this song and his groomsmen take him away to have a shot) and he has to break through all the people around the bride to get through to her and the only person helping him is the best man (after awhile, other people start helping too).  Then he hoists her over his shoulder and carries her out of the hall (usually people come back in though). I think we would have a rebellion on our hands if we didn't have this at our wedding.

5. Now this one, I'm not sure if it's an actual tradition or just a ****town thing.  But the very last dance of the night is "American Pie" and everyone gets really into it and at the very end lift the bride and groom up on their shoulders.

Hope I can at least give someone a few laughs this morning!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was at a wedding this summer where the bride and groom washed each others feet during the ceremony.

I'm not religious but it had to do with the part of the bible where Jesus washes the feet of his deciples.  The officiant said "When the bride and groom do this...." and my FI and I looked at each other and said "huh?"   Yeah, they pulled out a small buket, took off their shoes and washed each others feet.  Very odd.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_corniest-things-at-weddings-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6045bc49-83f9-47f3-a29a-9cc9652db461Post:2e8d8b71-0288-40f9-8736-18652f0a2ad9">Re: Corniest things at weddings... Go!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was at a wedding this summer where the bride and groom washed each others feet during the ceremony. I'm not religious but it had to do with the part of the bible where Jesus washes the feet of his deciples.  The officiant said "When the bride and groom do this...." and my FI and I looked at each other and said "huh?"   Yeah, they pulled out a small buket, took off their shoes and washed each others feet.  Very odd.  
    Posted by kikirst33[/QUOTE]

I've known two girls to get proposed to this way, but never at the ceremony.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_corniest-things-at-weddings-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6045bc49-83f9-47f3-a29a-9cc9652db461Post:54e6f591-0069-4e63-ba36-3d24b18f5b6d">Re: Corniest things at weddings... Go!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Corniest things at weddings... Go! : I've known two girls to get proposed to this way, but never at the ceremony.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]
    What?? this thread is a total education for me.
  • In Response to Re:Corniest things at weddings... Go!:[QUOTE]I was at a wedding this summer where the bride and groom washed each others feet during the ceremony.I'm not religious but it had to do with the part of the bible where Jesus washes the feet of his deciples. nbsp;The officiant said "When the bride and groom do this...." and my FI and I looked at each other and said "huh?" nbsp; Yeah, they pulled out a small buket, took off their shoes and washed each others feet. nbsp;Very odd. nbsp; Posted by kikirst33[/QUOTE]

The pastor's son at the church I work for did this at his wedding. It's supposed to be an extremely intimate moment, I forget the background behind it though. Not my cup of tea either.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_corniest-things-at-weddings-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6045bc49-83f9-47f3-a29a-9cc9652db461Post:400b45f0-ddb3-4003-93cc-bb9d0e2be854">Re: Corniest things at weddings... Go!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm dying. 1) I've never heard of someone returning a purity ring! (Then again, I don't know a single person who has had a purity ring at any time.) I can't even imagine witnessing that let alone participating. I want my parents as far removed from my sex life as possible especially in front of an audience. 2) THE RANSOM NOTE? What the what? <strong>Did they raise the money?</strong> ETA: wtf are tears of joy packets?
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, I think they did, but it took them a while. I didn't see her again before we left. My ex didn't understand at all why I thought it was tacky. Some people were super pissed though lol. I would be if I had come from out of town and didn't even get to see the bride.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • the top of the cake icing for me was all at the same wedding... 

First, I am game for pregnant MOH, i get it, but YOU SHOULD NOT, I REPEAT should not put them in a curtain like dress, that separates and drapes down their boobs! to make matters worse, the curtains were black and the middle of the dress was white, you could seriously see her "hairy belly button" line down the dress -- bad bad bad 

2nd was it was a BYOW - beer was free but you had to bring your own WINE!! and also if you wanted a Coke (plain coke) it was a dollar. so of course FH and I brought a bottle of boxed wine as a gag wine, tell me why we weren't the other one's who brought it... But not as a joke!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards