Connecticut

Unique/Vintage Wedding Venue Suggestion?

I am searching for a unique and/or vintage wedding venue location. I am totally in love with The Lace Factory in Deep River, CT but I am looking for a few other options to research. Any suggestions? 

We are looking for a non-wedding, wedding venue. Sounds weird, I know. But my fiance is a wedding photography, so we are looking for a place that is a little more unique than most of the venues he visits each weekend.

Re: Unique/Vintage Wedding Venue Suggestion?

• edited December 2011
    Try Farmington Gardens in Farmington. I am getting married there next July. Definitely a little different then the standard wedding hall. Check them out IMO!
    John & Christine - 7/14/2012 - Getting Married at the new Farmington Gardens! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was just looking at the Farmington Gardens. Do they have an indoor space available? Or is it just outdoor/tent? What do you like best about the venue?
  • Whtara10Whtara10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at lighthouse point park in new haven. They have a carousel that runs throughout the event if u want it to. Im si in love with LPP. It's gorgeous!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jld0704jld0704 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Lace Factory is gorgeous! It was on our very short list of unique venue options.  We even went on a food tasting with the owner and she is wonderful!  You can't get much more unique than there!  Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Have you seen the webb barn??
  • edited December 2011
    Farmington Gardens does have an indoor space available. I booked there for several reasons. They had a lot of available dates because they are newer. The greenhouse that is used for the cocktail hour is gorgeous. Lastly, they only do one event per day, so I do not have to worry about being rushed in or out and won't have to deal with other parties going on at the same time.
    John & Christine - 7/14/2012 - Getting Married at the new Farmington Gardens! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jacki8788jacki8788 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having ours at Mystic Seaport. It's not the most unique venue, and your FI's probably been there before, but it is different than your run-of-the-mill wedding venue. It has a rustic feel, but is still elegant in a way. There are several options for ceremony sites--on the lawn overlooking the water; in front of a lighthouse; in a little church or at the gazebo on the grounds. The views of the water/ships is really nice, and there's a lot to do in the area if you wanted to make a weekend of it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone! I really like all of the places you have suggested. The only one I am not that familiar with is the Webb barn. I will research them all now. :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_uniquevintage-wedding-venue-suggestion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:da0a2f82-424a-4aca-bf07-143f085e8ceaPost:c7316892-b9a8-4121-a53b-0421e7b913fa">Re: Unique/Vintage Wedding Venue Suggestion?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are getting married at lighthouse point park in new haven. They have a carousel that runs throughout the event if u want it to. Im si in love with LPP. It's gorgeous!
    Posted by Whtara10[/QUOTE]

Yup, this!  We were looking for the same things you mentioned in your OP, and could not resist the pavilion at LPP.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in love with our venue of Branford House.  It's like having your own private mansion on the water (with a lighthouse!) for the day.  It's definitely elegant and princess-y, but it's way different than the ballroom type wedding feel that I personally did not want.

Anniversary

• MuddyInsigniaMuddyInsignia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just had our wedding at Thames Club of New London--they hardly ever do weddings, but it was a perfect, beautiful, vintage style wedding and location. It is the oldest social club in CT and has that dark wood feel. PM me is you are intersted and I can put you in touch with the people. BTW, it was also one of the most affordable wedding locations we could have found and it comes off very nicely!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Whtara10Whtara10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_uniquevintage-wedding-venue-suggestion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:da0a2f82-424a-4aca-bf07-143f085e8ceaPost:40234a3d-35cf-482a-bf06-21174e254fa5">Re: Unique/Vintage Wedding Venue Suggestion?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unique/Vintage Wedding Venue Suggestion? : Yup, this!  We were looking for the same things you mentioned in your OP, and could not resist the pavilion at LPP.
    Posted by Soon2BeMrsTing[/QUOTE]

So is that where you chose? Or are you still looking into it?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married at The Hartford Club in Hartford. It was built in the early 1900's and has a Mad Men feel. The place is beautiful, lots of dark wood and a cigar lounge.
    Visit The Knot! Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I just got married at the webb barn, it was beautiful
  • chrissy5012chrissy5012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the Beach House Restaurant in Milford. Its a gorgeous restaurant that has a vintage 1920's feel to the deco. They do a handful of weddings every year. It is a fairly small venue, seats 110 max if you buyout the restaurant. If Milford is not local, then I would definitely think of restaurants that have the "feel" you're looking for and then from there inquire to see if they do weddings - more restaurants host weddings than you probably think!
  • kdp574kdp574 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding at the lace factory in June. Its such an amazing space.  We were looking for the same kind of idea for our reception. Another option is the CT River museum in Essex. Its right on the water and the setting is amazing! The only problem is you have to bring in a tent. 

FYI if you are still considering the lace factory, check out Mount Saint Johns for an outdoor ceremony. beautiful! and right down the road!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of the comments!!!! We are still looking. Now I have even more research to do. At first I thought we would need a venue for over 150, but we are more realistically going to have 75 to 100 which opens up a few more 'smaller' venues.
  • I was just on The Farmington Gardens web site & I didn't see any prices-is there a location fee? I
  • My best friend got married at The Waveny House in New Canaan. It's a big old rustic mansion. It was beautiful, it's all surrounded by parks. I believe you do everything a la carte there, so you basically rent the hall out for a certain amount, it's not like the regular wedding venues though, not as pricey, but I do think there was a limit on how many guests she can have and fit. It was beautiful though and great photo ops!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards