Iowa-Des Moines

CAKE!

Does anybody have some good cake vendor recommendations? We're not planning on serving our actual cake - it's just going to be the centerpiece for our dessert table. We do want to do a cake cutting for us though. So really i don't want to spend a ton of money since guests won't be eating it. 

Help! :) 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: CAKE!

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about making a fake cake? Some people are just doing fake ones made of Styrofoam then using fondant cover it. I've seen it done and it's very pretty and really cheap.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    talk to Becky at enchanted sweet.com she can mock something up for you and she is really inexspensive and she will give you ten percent off if you friend her on facebook
  • edited December 2011

Becky from Enchanted Sweets. She's family friend, did my wedding cupcakes, and did a REALLY great job!

http://www.enchantedsweets.com/

?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    do your own... super easy... roll fondant out like a pie crust and smooth it over styrofoam... try it out! You can alway do a ribbon around the base. You will have to make the top tier though if you want to cut! but seriously once you try it you will wonder why it costs so much (at least the simple ones, i wouldn't recommend this if you want an ace of cakes style cake or something very ornate.) you can buy fondant at hobby lobby.
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • edited December 2011
    you girls are so great - thanks SO MUCH for your help! 
  • edited December 2011
    i know someone who is interested in selling their 3 tier square fake cake just to get it out of their hands.

please email me at nataloo314 at gmail com if interested.
  • SuzieBlevsSuzieBlevs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with http://www.iowarentacake.com/ she meets with her clients in Ankeny. You can choose from her already done up cakes and then do sheet cakes. There's a hidden compartment in the back where they put in one real slice of cake! I love the look of her cakes!
  • edited December 2011
    Are you serving any cake? I know this isn't what you asked, but if I went to a wedding and saw a cake, but never got to eat any, I would be sad. With that being said, if you do want to serve some cake, sheet cakes are inexpensive and you could still do the fake cakes as mentioned by pp's.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    yes - i think we're going to serve sheet cakes - and the "big" cake will be more decoration than anything and something for us to "cut" .

we're serving cake though!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:80Discussion:e96bb353-2ce0-4b48-95d1-8927504faafdPost:fb21fead-187a-4e8e-8bf3-00c557dec02d">Re: CAKE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]yes - i think we're going to serve sheet cakes - and the "big" cake will be more decoration than anything and something for us to "cut" . we're serving cake though!
    Posted by hawkeyes00[/QUOTE]

Haha, good to hear!   That's a nice cost-effective way to go, plus people can still see your cake all night. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards