New York-Hudson Valley

Reasonable Venue Suggestions -- Reasonable, within 90 mins of NYC

Hi All,

I’m newly engaged, and in the very early phases of wedding planning. The more research I do, the more overwhelmed and shocked I am at how much things cost, and could really use whatever advice/suggestions you may have!

We have to have a big wedding (around 250-275 guests), because we both come from very large families. We’d like to have it within 90 minutes of New York City (we live here, and my family is from eastern PA), and cap our budget at about $30k. I’ve contacted dozens and dozens large venues in NYC, Hudson Valley, NJ, and eastern PA, and most quotes are coming back at over $100 a head. With such a large guest list, that takes up nearly our entire budget.

Does anyone have any reception venue suggestions that our more reasonable?

Thanks so much!

Re: Reasonable Venue Suggestions -- Reasonable, within 90 mins of NYC

• Have you considered having your wedding on an "off" day (Friday or Sunday) or an "off" time of year (late Nov-early April usually) or you could do a dessert reception or a cocktail hour/dessert reception. Most people fill up at cocktail hour anyway! I think the Dutchess Manor in Coldspring NY does those types of receptions. However with your number of guests you may need a larger venue than that. Just an idea...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_reasonable-venue-suggestions-reasonable-within-90-mins-of-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:bc32d6cf-f01d-48df-b444-63baa3e13b6cPost:79ec60e8-ea1c-4276-8160-a85a1ae382ed">Re: Reasonable Venue Suggestions -- Reasonable, within 90 mins of NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you considered having your wedding on an "off" day (Friday or Sunday) or an "off" time of year (late Nov-early April usually) or you could do a dessert reception or a cocktail hour/dessert reception. Most people fill up at cocktail hour anyway! I think the Dutchess Manor in Coldspring NY does those types of receptions. However with your number of guests you may need a larger venue than that. Just an idea...
    Posted by Ballet513[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree. Check out our venue - Patriot Hills in Stony Point in Rockland County. A few years have gone by since our wedding so I'm not up on current pricing, but depending on day of week/time of year, it may work for you.</div>
    imageimageimage
  • I have something that you might like. I dont know what your style is, but I was researching venues for months before we finally picked one. I must have looked at hundreds, I had 17 on my list for appointments and I narrowed it down to 7. There was one place that was $85 a head ($99 with tax etc...) that was still really nice. They did have a downfall or two, but it was a beautiful venue and their menu was AMAZING! It is called The Royal Manor. They are located in Garfield, NJ easy access to the GSP, Route 80, NYS thruway etc...We have 265 on our list so it will definitely hold your guest list. I also had a friend that actually attended a wedding there a few weeks ago and she raved about it! We didnt end up going with that venue but it was still a great place! Let me know if you have any questions!
  • Ive learned most things are actually negotiable... we were going to have a winter wedding purely for the $ factor...our venue got considerably more expensive in spring, summer, fall...so we settled on a friday (cheaper) and then asked for a lower price, though the price itself didnt come down we did get a better date (later april) for the winter rate.  ive negotiated with my photographer and am working on makeup now.  people want your business-if there was a place you liked see if they would cut the price or maybe ask for a better price inclusive of tax and gratuity.  have you thought winter or off night?  Poughkeepsie Grandview was really nice and has a hotel right there..I think there prices were reasonable-my cousin married there and it was great.  Good luck!
  • We were in the same boat...the mansion at colonial terrace's grand ballroom can accomodate over 400 guests and I believe the price per person is about 85.00 per person.  they are extremely reasonable and flexible with prices and dates.  worth the call
  • Hi jmki... I know you have that guest number in mind but I'd consider really nitpicking through the guestlist and thinking if you want every single one of those people there. If you can weedle down your guest list a bit you might have a couple more venues to pick from. Otherwise, you might want to look into a Hilton hotel or Honor's Haven (the large resorts) that have enough space to accomodate that also have the space for it. Also, if you're having such a large # of guests and you want to keep all those guests at your wedding, consider having an afternoon shindig or something on a Sunday. It will usually reduce your costs significantly so you can have the wedding at a place you want for a lot cheaper price.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• im having a friday wedding : )
    Photobucket invite1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards