Moms and Maids

Sudden Change in FMIL

My FMIL changed all of the sudden. Before I got "promoted" we had conversations and it was a very simple conversation. However, now that I have the ring and living with her son, our relationship has improved immensly. I recieved the keys to her house, permission to come over whenever!! This past weekend my fiance' and I went up to S.C. on the motorcycle, his parents, brother and sister in law were already up there. We got caught up in Brunswick traffic due to an awful accident, which delayed our trip a good hour and a half. When we got there, she walked out of the house and greeted me with open arms, huge hug, and a kiss on the cheek. We came in and sat in the kitchen and held an hour conversation!! I love that our relationship is getting better, now we are floating in the pool just us girls having conversations. I enjoy the change but I can't help but wonder if he said something, or if the hug was because she was worried about the accident, or is this an actual change. Reguardless, I like it.
He stole my heart, so I'm stealing his last name.

Re: Sudden Change in FMIL

• edited December 2011
    Awesome! Sounds like a real change! You have a rare FMIL that actually seems to get that you're there to stay, so she'd better start getting to know you and getting friendly. Too many FMIL go in the other direction, and are unhappy, thinking that the bride isn't "good enough" for their son, and always just wished that the relationship would fail. Congrats on what sounds like the beginning of a promising relationship!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you. My FBIL is married and Sometimes I get the feeling that she compares me and her. I have been around for 2 and 1/2 years and his wife has been around for 6 1/2 years. The two of them are so much alike, for the longest time, I feel like the wife was the favorite...
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds like she is starting to treat you as a member of the family, how lovely! Enjoy the turn for the better in your relationship- as a previous poster said, too often it is the other way around, and the relationship suddenly starts to go south when the couple gets engaged. Consider yourself lucky! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Ladies! She's included me in 'I love you' s and such, its a good feeling.
  • edited December 2011
    As a mother to a son who is 24, I try and not get to attached to young women my son dates or "goes" with. Over the years I have become emotional involved and it hurts to much when they break up. So now I am nice to the young ladies but I try to keep my distance, when he gets engaged then I will let my guard down. Maybe you FMIL is the same way!

Anyway good for you and her, enjoy!
  • baker2snbaker2sn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yay exciting! I wouldn't stress about it because it might just make you paranoid about the relationship. Just focus on the new and promising aspects of your relationship! congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards