Military Brides

Your Opinions, Please (if this shows up)

So, with the egging on of my recently asked (and super-excited) matron of honor, I've started doing some more serious wedding dress online browsing. I really hadn't looked at many beyond if someone linked to theirs in a TK post, so I'm just starting out. What is your opinion of this dress: http://www.dressempire.com/tadashi-2k677l.html  ?

My MOH found it, and I really do love a lot about it, but I'd like some other opinions, especially from people who aren't necessarily worried about my feelings. Keep in mind, I have tried nothing on, so it's more about aesthetic. 

Also, my grandmother (who is awesome!) has offered to pay for my dress. Which is great, but she's in MS and I'm in TX, and I know that she'd really like to be with me when we actually buy the dress. Is it okay for me to go to a shop here just to try some things on and get an idea, but knowing I won't be able to purchase anything? Or is that just a crappy thing to do or a time-waster? There are a couple of DB dresses and one AA one that I'd love to try on, but I hate to know I'm screwing someone out of a commission because I know that g-ma will want to see something on me before she buys it. 

Re: Your Opinions, Please (if this shows up)

• I'ts NMS, but very feminine and demure. Do you have a vibe you're going for? Are there religious or cultural limitations on style? I feel like that one does nothing for that girl's waist, and I'm sure she's itty bitty. It's sort of a bit shapeless for me....

As for the other question about logisitcs, I tried on the dress I ultimately bought by myself at 6pm on a Tuesday night because the place was closer to work than home so I just popped in. I went with my mom a few weekends later and we did the whole tearing up and veil wearing dealio. And for the sales people, they have chicks swing through there all the time playing "dress up" so you being up front about preliminary searching before getting togheter with Gma is totall legit.
  • I agree with Irish, the dress doesn't do much for her figure. The top part is cute but where the skirt starts at the waist seems odd to me. I don't think it hurts to try some things on beforehand, that way you aren't too overwhelmed when you are seriously looking. My mom and I went dress shopping one evening and only tried on ugly dresses (you had to book an appointment to get a giftcard but it was way too far out to buy a dress.) I felt kind of bad at the time but it turns out I bought a different dress the second time from the same saleswoman. So she still got commission after all was said and done.
    Photobucket
  • You can totally go try on dresses first. I tried on a dress and didn't buy it that day. I did end up going back and buying front the same girl but honestly, it's part of retail. People make and don't make sales all the time.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh and my thoughts on the dress. Pretty but not my style. Satin can show off every lump on a body so I'd be concerned about that. I wore a taffeta dress and it camo'd every lump and I love it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks you! Yeah, I don't know about the lack of waist, as well as the fact that I don't have a graceful long swan neck. There aren't any cultural/religious things going on that mean that I have to be covered (unless it comes up that the church wants my shoulders covered, but no one's said anything). I do really want straps or sleeves of some sort, I was thinking about it and I have really never worn a strapless dress. Like, ever. I think if I did go with strapless I'd want some sort of crumb-catcher or origami style top to camouflage a bit. 

The dress will have to have a bit of formality/presence, because the Cathedral is huge and very dramatic. I'm hopefully having the reception at a historic home (built during Reconstruction, I think). I am in love with the idea or sort of 1930s style shoulders on the dress, but I really have no idea, so going somewhere may be what's best.
  • I really like the fit and style of the dress in the link/picture. But I am not a fan of the high neck (turtle neck), because depending on your face it's unflattering.

I've had friends with every kind of experience from DB, but mostly bad experience of the ones in Minnesota. I think if you told them you were just looking they would forget about you completely. A girlfriend of mine started there and was just looking and they left her by herself because it was a busy Sat. I would strongly recommend you go in on a week day. :) I'm with the other ladies that it shouldn't be a big deal that you are just looking because in all honesty no Bride knows they will be walking out with a dress that day.

I couldn't believe I found mine so quickly (2nd dress I tried on). I was really bummed I had to stop looking.
  • I'm not normally comfortable with strapless dresses because my chest is massive but I will say, my stress was so structured and had a corset back so I had no problems with it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I think the top is gorgeous, very feminine. But I have to agree with everybody else, it does look like it wouldn't do anything for your figure. It's worth a shot to try it on though! As for trying on dresses, DO IT!!!! If it makes you feel better, tell them up front that you're just looking right now, but will be buying soon. That way you don't have to feel guilty for taking their time.  Good luck!!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_your-opinions-please-if-this-shows-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:93209a81-2a1f-46f0-9410-795cef31087bPost:2f45e481-948e-4498-8718-deda3ee48f46">Re: Your Opinions, Please (if this shows up)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks you! Yeah, I don't know about the lack of waist, as well as the fact that I don't have a graceful long swan neck. There aren't any cultural/religious things going on that mean that I have to be covered (unless it comes up that the church wants my shoulders covered, but no one's said anything). I do really want straps or sleeves of some sort, I was thinking about it and I have really never worn a strapless dress. Like, ever. I think if I did go with strapless I'd want some sort of crumb-catcher or origami style top to camouflage a bit.  The dress will have to have a bit of formality/presence, because the Cathedral is huge and very dramatic. I'm hopefully having the reception at a historic home (built during Reconstruction, I think). I am in love with the idea or sort of 1930s style shoulders on the dress, but I really have no idea, so going somewhere may be what's best.
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

I saw this after my original reply.

I have a full C and D is some bras. My dress was strapless with a corset (I had the option of a zipper). I picked the corset because I liked the look better and had flexibility with weight/alterations. My seamstress also replaced the cups w/ the appropriate size in my dress so I didn't even need to wear a bra. She told me to stop loosing weight but i didn't so mine ended up a little big but I felt great and it never fell down or had issues holding the ladies up. :)
  • I am really loving that dress! But I love antique-looking things, so there's that. Personally, I would not want to "just try" dresses if I knew I wouldn't be purchasing it there. What if you found "the dress," you know?
  • I agree with the other ladies re: the shape of the dress. It really doesn't do much for her waist; the neckline is pretty, but NMS. 

I have always been a fan of the off-the-shoulder styles. Like, I love the top half of this dress (clicky) but not the bottom. I love the look of lace, esp on shoulders. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with going to look to get an idea of what you want. What I thought I wanted and what I ended up with turned out to be very different. :)
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • The dress is not my style because I typically hate things being up around my neck for the most part.  This is just something that started.  I do however, think the dress is very pretty with the detail.  I have also seen that if you pick out a strapless dress some seamstresses can add cap sleeves to the dress (I watch way to much "Say Yes to the Dress") as they do it all of the time. 

I had a strapless dress.  I really didnt think that I would like that type of cut but it did work for me and I have a big chest and it held great.  Oh and I was a dancing fool at the reception.

• Divine- do you mind me asking if you have big boobs or not? I wear a size D and I know crumb catchers and too much ruffles on the chest area made them look bigger than they actually are. I love those 4 dresses. They are really pretty. Have you thought about one shoulder?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I am a big fan of going to a store like Davids Bridal that has a ton of different materials and styles to try on a bunch and see what looks and feels good.  You can then take that information (A-line vs. mermaid, strapless vs. halter, etc.) and go to any other store you'd want to try dresses on, or buy one at DB if you like.  I ended up with dress that was very different than the silhouete and neckline I orginally intended, but I didn't feel right in any other dress. 

The dress you posted originally is pretty on the model, but I think that dress wears the girl, and you really need to be rocking your wedding gown, not the other way around.  It doesn't do anything to flatter or compliment her body.  Binx has a high neckline dress that is incredibly flattering on her, but I know that dress wouldn't look as good on me (I'm more comfortable in a less form-fitting dress).   It's all about finding what flatters your body and what makes you feel good.  It can look beautiful in a catalogue or be unique and cool, but unless it makes you feel awesome, it's not worth it.

ETA:  I think the Vera Wang Organza gown would be very flattering and worth trying on, and I think the Alfred Angelo dress would totally be something you could rock with your curves.  Those are my two favorites out of the ones you linked, and I defintely think you should try on dresses like those!

Anniversary

• I have medium D's at the moment. If/when I lose some weight (working on it) they'll settle at large C's. They're not particularly saggy, but I'm really weird about keeping them in place, even if I'm just in a T-shirt and sports bra, I hike them up, I always wear some sort of bra, even to sleep. My one thing is that no matter how thin I am, I have always had those little "biscuits"where my arms meet my torso in front, it's like a little roll of extra-not-quite-boob, so I like the idea of something holding that in. And if anyone has any exercises that target that area that they can vouch for, I am all ears. 
  • I -love- the Alfred Angelo dress you posted. loveloveloveloveLOOOVE.. did I mention I love it!?!

you may like this article

wedding1 Anniversary
  • I like the Illusion Vera!! Pretty!! Definitely try a bunch on, you might hate something on the rack but love it on and vice versa!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_your-opinions-please-if-this-shows-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:93209a81-2a1f-46f0-9410-795cef31087bPost:f7a5b5d8-3643-4069-a266-ef3c4de64d6a">Re: Your Opinions, Please (if this shows up)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the Illusion Vera!! Pretty!! Definitely try a bunch on, you might hate something on the rack but love it on and vice versa!
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

<div>Definitely second this. I thought I didn't want strapless; loved a few dresses on the rack but HATED them on me. Wasn't crazy about my dress on the rack, but I love it on me :)</div>
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • CAB- I feel I have to try on something like that Helene dress, it's so pretty.

Fire- Thanks for the article!

So, if I wanted to go somewhere like DB/AA next week (waiting til after the weekend rush), would it be better to make an appointment or just to walk in? It will just be me, and I'll just be looking/trying on this time. I think if I went to any sort of private (not DB or AA) salon, I'd probably have to make an appointment anyway. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_your-opinions-please-if-this-shows-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:93209a81-2a1f-46f0-9410-795cef31087bPost:a9458c7c-0f4f-47fe-92ce-ac223f3b0cb6">Re: Your Opinions, Please (if this shows up)</a>:
    [QUOTE]CAB- I feel I have to try on something like that Helene dress, it's so pretty. Fire- Thanks for the article! So, if I wanted to go somewhere like DB/AA next week (waiting til after the weekend rush), would it be better to make an appointment or just to walk in? It will just be me, and I'll just be looking/trying on this time. I think if I went to any sort of private (not DB or AA) salon, I'd probably have to make an appointment anyway. 

Make sure you make an appointment. My friend Just walked in to both places. AA wouldn't help her and she had to wait over an hour at davids
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_your-opinions-please-if-this-shows-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:93209a81-2a1f-46f0-9410-795cef31087bPost:a9458c7c-0f4f-47fe-92ce-ac223f3b0cb6">Re: Your Opinions, Please (if this shows up)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>CAB- I feel I have to try on something like that Helene dress, it's so pretty</strong>. Fire- Thanks for the article! So, if I wanted to go somewhere like DB/AA next week (waiting til after the weekend rush), would it be better to make an appointment or just to walk in? It will just be me, and I'll just be looking/trying on this time. I think if I went to any sort of private (not DB or AA) salon, I'd probably have to make an appointment anyway. 

YES! The Helene dress is my fav, too! So hot.
  • Definitely make an appointment!  No friend to tag along to take pictures?  Cuz you KNOW you have to AW!

Anniversary

• Oh appointment for SURE! We looked at BM dresses at those places and that was freaking hard enough trying to get a room and stuff without a dang appointment. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards