Military Brides

Military Chaplain for ceremony outside a military venue?

I am marrying a Marine Corps officer next year in a private (non-military, non-religious) venue. We are currently living in Texas but getting married in DC. Does anyone know if Military Chaplains will marry a couple in a private venue? If so do you know how to seek out chaplains outside of the region where you are stationed? Thank you for your help!

Re: Military Chaplain for ceremony outside a military venue?

• They do! My friend just got married by one, just contact the nearest base, sometimes they will ask for a donation to cover there travel costs if you're getting married at from base. A military chaplain is there for spiritual guidance and does not have to do a very religious ceremony, however some will feel more comfortable only doing their faith's services so you may have to talk to more than one chaplain to find the right one!
  • We got married at a resort and H's Chaplain performed the wedding.  We paid for his & family's stay at the resort.  H's base was only 2 1/2 hours away from where we got married so I am not sure about asking for people outside the unit.  Good luck and happy planning!

• It can certainly be done but could take a bit of leg work to find the right chaplain.  I require premarital counseling and many other chaplains do as well.  However, this could be done in TX by another chaplain.

Since you have a Marine it would be nice to use a Navy chaplain.  Try calling the Reserve center in Washington, (240) 857-4880.  If that doesn't work try the DC National Guard, 202-685-8856. 

If you use a Reservist or National Guard remember that they only get paid on drill weekends so your wedding would be on his/her own time.  Offer an honorarium.  They might turn you down but it is always nice to offer especially if there are travel costs. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards