Attire & Accessories Forum

Ring hurts my finger

So I got engaged a few days ago and have been wearing my ring ever since. Its sized perfectly, but its starting to hurt! Perhaps because the skin is making it tighter as I'm typing all of the time. I've never worn a ring on that finger before obviously, and the ring isn't very thick...any ideas why this might be happening or what I should do? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ring hurts my finger

• Give it some time. Mine took a few weeks to get used to. After a while you will hardly notice its there :)
  • so crazy you posted this because this weekend my ring finger was bothering me...i have been engaed since feb and never take my ring off. when i took it off i realized i needed to put soem lotion on, the skin under my ring was dry.  gues steh cold weather has be bad for my hand.  maybe take it off for a few hours...i have been taking mine off when i am hoem now to give it a break.  goodluck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • oops i just realized you live in dallas so its probably not as cold there as it is here but i would try keeping it off while u r home
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Its been a lot colder here than normal...would hate to have winters like you guys....brrr! I'll try the moisturizer..thanks I was just worried that the sizing was actually the issue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My finger shrunk where the ring sits after a while and gave it a bit more wiggle room. If it's not a metal allergy, I'd probably just wait it out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ring-hurts-finger?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:ed14573a-bcc7-49de-a046-c6b572fd6c34Post:5d275430-a4e5-494c-9634-bed6c4ad8068">Re: Ring hurts my finger</a>:
    [QUOTE]This happens to me in spurts. When I'm teaching a dance class, my hands get warm and then my ring finger starts to bother me. I have a ringbox I throw in my purse if I absolutely have to take it off. Otherwise, when I'm home, I put my ring in small dishes I strategically placed around the house. I have one in the kitchen, office, bathroom and so on. Take it off when you can. =]
    Posted by mtishawt[/QUOTE]

I have the strategically placed dishes too hahaha, I use them for my ring and for earrings when I take those out lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ring-hurts-finger?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:ed14573a-bcc7-49de-a046-c6b572fd6c34Post:8714e3f9-44e0-4a23-993d-79813490d337">Re: Ring hurts my finger</a>:
    [QUOTE]so crazy you posted this because this weekend my ring finger was bothering me...i have been engaed since feb and never take my ring off. <strong>when i took it off i realized i needed to put soem lotion on, the skin under my ring was dry.  gues steh cold weather has be bad for my hand.</strong>  maybe take it off for a few hours...i have been taking mine off when i am hoem now to give it a break.  goodluck
    Posted by KH 2012[/QUOTE]

I am having this same issue and the lotion is not helping at all. Its disgustingly dry under my band but if I take my ring off too long it feels completely weird not having it on.

• If your trying to get used to the feeling of a ring there, taking it off often won't help. I'd give it a few weeks & see what happens. If it bothers you because it's itchy, then get tested for various metal allergies. If it hurts because of it's shape, then bring it into the jeweler and see if they can do something about that. Just because it gets on & off your finger easily does NOT mean it's necessarily sized right. 
  • I have found that my finger size will fluctuate greatly in just one day. 

Of course when it's cold or in normal conditions the ring comes off easily. 

But at night, I cannot sleep with the ring on because my finger gets bloated.  I don't even have that much salt and I eat a mostly Paleo diet - I have no idea why my fingers bloat that much.  If I go to bed with the ring on, it will keep me up at night.  Then I can barely take it off.  So weird.

• Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you are warm, your hands expand.  Since the ring does not, it feels tighter. When you are cold, your hands contract.  When I am really cold, my ring can slide off my hand.  So far, it has only slid into my gloves, but I am keeping an eye on it.
  • I would suggest cortisone & also make sure you dry your hands & ring really well after washing, because soap & water can get trapped under your ring & cause irritation also
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ring-hurts-finger?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:ed14573a-bcc7-49de-a046-c6b572fd6c34Post:b85c21ec-e284-4769-b478-6de3ea147a7f">Re: Ring hurts my finger</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your trying to get used to the feeling of a ring there, taking it off often won't help. I'd give it a few weeks & see what happens. If it bothers you because it's itchy, then get tested for various metal allergies. If it hurts because of it's shape, then bring it into the jeweler and see if they can do something about that.<strong> Just because it gets on & off your finger easily does NOT mean it's necessarily sized right.</strong> 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

This.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards