Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Wedding photo question

We just got an email from our photographer stating our professional wedding pictures are not allowed to be posted on any website without the watermark on them.  This didn't seem right to us as we paid a lot for these pictures and we can't even post them without the watermarks.  The watermark is pretty visible and does take away from the pictures in some instances.  Has anyone experienced this with other photographers? 

Thanks in advance!

Re: Wedding photo question

• edited December 2011
    Do you have the rights to the pictures? I would take a look at the contract and look for any specifics in there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    This seems odd to me... Usually a photographer gives rights to your pictures. Does that mean you can't even have them on facebook?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • rmasekrmasek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at the contract.  It says the photographer has the rights to the pictures, but doesn't mention anything about posting pictures.  When I first read the contract, I thought that meant not being able to post them on another website as your own.  I can post them to facebook, but they have to have the photographers watermark on them.  We got a CD with all our images and no watermarks, but the contract says "unlimited rights to print them".  It doesn't seem very fair since we paid for the pictures. 
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe you could have a conversation with them and see if they're willing to bend - for example, maybe you could offer to tag them on facebook to give them credit for their work? It does seem unfair but I guess if the contract specifically says the rights to print but the photographer still has the rights to the pics, then it seems as if it is their call. Unfortunately, these aren't things that we all think to ask - we learned the hard way by not having any rights to the engagement pictures and had to buy each one that we wanted to use unless we were just ordering a print directly through them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    it sounds like you signed a contract not giving you the rights to the photo's-the rights stayed with the photographer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards