Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Silk Flowers or Farmer's Market?

I'm on a tight budget and really would like to spend under $200 for flowers. I'm thinking gerbera daisies in white, yellow and blue, to match our simple theme. Where did you go/are you going for your silk flowers? Did anyone use a farmer's market? The upside of silk is that I can prepare them way ahead of time, but would a FM be cheaper? I'm hoping to visit a FM in the next couple weeks and talk to the flower venders for their ideas. But if you have advice, please share!
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Silk Flowers or Farmer's Market?

• wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take it for what its worth but you'll have to get rid of silk flowers after your wedding and if you get real ones, you can give them away to friends/family and they'll eventually just die.  My vote - Farmers Market.
  • jmkaiserjmkaiser member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like fake so I would chose FM but I was able to get my flowers (for a WP of over 12 people and centerpeices) for about $300. Look around for small ma and pop shops, otherwise my florist is in St. Cloud. Maybe the drive would be worth it?
  • edited December 2011
    Here's an ad from a girl on Craigslist.  Says she has a connection to fresh bulk flowers.  Might be an option for you?  GL!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bfs/2348504733.html
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not silk. Often, they actually end up being more expensive than real, and they just don't look very good. Some silk flowers are better than others, but fake gerbera daisies clearly look fake (I haven't seen a manufacturer yet that can capture the look of the center of a real daisy or sunflower).

I mean, yeah, you'd have more time to work with silk, but you aren't going to need much time to fiddle with gerbera daisies-- they aren't exactlty a finicky flower to put into arrangements.
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed! Go with real flowers from the Farmers Market.  I looked at a few in Mpls and St. Paul and basically you can get most flowers for about $1/flower.  But you have to buy in bulk.  So my roses were going to be $100 for 100 roses.  If I wanted more, I'd have to order 200.  The one at the Mpls Farmers Market even has a place where you can make the bouquets there yourself.  They'll also store and refrigerate them until the wedding day.  So you'd have to go the day before and do them probably....Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Another vote for Farmer's Market.  I'm not a fan of silk flowers at all. 
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • katiebeth17katiebeth17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm splurging and doing silk. My florist is in PA so it kind of stinks that I won't have them until July, but it's worth it in the end. If you want to do silk, do your research. I spent 2-3 months looking for a quality silk florist. They do exist!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    At my cousin's bridal shower a couple weeks ago they had silk gerbera daisys in a vase on the table and I honestly thought they looked real.

Also a friend of mine had silk callas for her wedding and it was very beautiful. 

It's not impossible to get nice looking silk flowers.. you just have to look  ;)
  • lboerner88lboerner88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote real flowers. But I would consider talking to a few florists and see what they would charge you...you might be surprised. Especially with gerbera daisies since they are so inexpensive.
  • aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I vote for REAL flowers - I have an AWESOME florist and is really CHEAP. I have what other quotes were coming in at around $1000 and she's doing it all for $400ish. If you want her contact info just PM me.
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had silk roses, and they looked fine. But I didn't really care about flowers and only had bouquets for myself and MOH, and I put some inside of large lanterns w/pillar candles where we stood for the ceremony.

If you're set on gerbera daisies, I'd go FM. If you just want cheap flowers, I don't think it would hurt to look around at both real and fake, get some prices, and see what you prefer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards