Getting in Shape

Advice for the guys?

Hi everyone! I was hoping someone out there could give me some advice I could pass on to my fiance!

I had convinced my fiance this past spring/summer that going to the gym was fun (well, maybe not fun, but I had convinced him it wasn't awful!), but now that he's started law school he says he "doesn't have time." That's crap because we sit around watching TV all the time, and there are TVs at the gym, and there's a gym in our apartment building!

When he was going to the gym, he had a very overweight friend (who was not very successful at losing weight) tell him that cardio does nothing and he should stick entirely to heavy lifting. My fiance is trying to lose weight but also lose bulk because he played ice hockey from ages 5-16 and his legs are built like tree trunks, so I really don't see how doing heavy squats helps his goals. 

The reason I bring this up now is because he bought a very expensive suit about a year ago that no longer fits him because he's gained weight around the middle. He really doesn't have much to lose - he's about 6ft, 200 lbs. I think he's currenty a 36 waist, and he'd like to be a 34.  

He has this stupid idea in his head that men lift weights and women do cardio, though!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a "manly" exercise plan that would fit his goals? He's not going to spend money on an outside gym or class so it has to be something we can do in the gym here (basic equipment: treadmill, bikes, elpitical, weight machines, free weights) or maybe watch a video for online.  

We currently live in DC so outside activities are probably not possible given it's going to get cold very soon. 

Thank you!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: Advice for the guys?

• What are you guys doing for diet?

You can exercise until your face turns blue but if your eating is crap in the wrong volumes, it'll do no good besides toning.
  • Crossfit...it's cardio that builds strength and endurance and can be done in 30 minutes. It'll make him feel all kinds of bada$$
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm vegetarian, and I cook healthy meat meals for him (I grew up in a household where I didn't have anything non-organic until I was in kindergarten lol). I'd say his biggest issue is portion control (STOP eating when you're full; you don't have to finish the entire plate!), but he definitely eats a balanced diet. His diet also has not changed in the last 6 months, but his exercise has so that's why I attribute the weight gain to that. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_advice-for-the-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c9f65b64-3ab5-458d-89f1-3cec37761165Post:e20b1481-01e5-4048-8d7d-b165ce09b761">Re: Advice for the guys?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Crossfit...it's cardio that builds strength and endurance and can be done in 30 minutes. It'll make him feel all kinds of bada$$
    Posted by icefog34[/QUOTE]

<div>I've tried telling him about this (basically what I've overheard from daytime talk shows, lol), but I don't know very much about it. When I explain it he says it sounds too intimidating. He likes to do "manly" things, but he won't do anything he's not good at (I know, I know). Is there a way to ease into something like that so he doesn't feel let down if he can't do it completely at first? </div>
  • my fiance is the same type of guy. he played baseball and football all through high school, and ive found that these type of guys seem to believe that the way they worked out in high school (IE heavy squats, or for my fiance ALL arms all the time lol) is THE ONLY way you workout, but sorry bud, cardio burns fat no matter what chromosomes god gave you lol

so i totally feel your frustration here. crossfit is great but you gotta be ALL IN mentally, and it can be VERY expensive. have you guys tried anything he can do in-home, like p90x or insanity? sure insanity is all cardio but its kickass and very testosterone driven. p90x might be a little more his speed. its not geared toward either gender in particular, its a perfect combo of weights and cardio, and he can go at his own pace so he can build his self-confidence up too and feel like he can still kickass at a workout like that. :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_advice-for-the-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c9f65b64-3ab5-458d-89f1-3cec37761165Post:1ac37112-ced3-4110-b69d-8327c3c32fac">Advice for the guys?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! I was hoping someone out there could give me some advice I could pass on to my fiance! I had convinced my fiance this past spring/summer that going to the gym was fun (well, maybe not fun, but I had convinced him it wasn't awful!), but now that he's started law school he says he "doesn't have time." That's crap because we sit around watching TV all the time, and there are TVs at the gym, and there's a gym in our apartment building! When he was going to the gym, he had a very overweight friend (who was not very successful at losing weight) tell him that cardio does nothing and he should stick entirely to heavy lifting. My fiance is trying to lose weight but also lose bulk because he played ice hockey from ages 5-16 and his legs are built like tree trunks, so I really don't see how doing heavy squats helps his goals.  The reason I bring this up now is because he bought a very expensive suit about a year ago that no longer fits him because he's gained weight around the middle. He really doesn't have much to lose - he's about 6ft, 200 lbs. I think he's currenty a 36 waist, and he'd like to be a 34.   He has this stupid idea in his head that men lift weights and women do cardio, though! Does anyone have any suggestions for a "manly" exercise plan that would fit his goals? He's not going to spend money on an outside gym or class so it has to be something we can do in the gym here (basic equipment: treadmill, bikes, elpitical, weight machines, free weights) or maybe watch a video for online.   We currently live in DC so outside activities are probably not possible given it's going to get cold very soon.  Thank you!!
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

<div>PPs noted P90X-this is a great idea, and I have a lot of male friends who have had great results with this.  What about running outside?  Maybe he won't perceive that as "girly" since it's not on the treadmill.  DC really isn't that cold--it was mid-60s today, t-shirt weather--and won't be prohibitively cold until maybe mid-December (I know, I live here, and wore a t-shirt to exercise outside today).</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_advice-for-the-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c9f65b64-3ab5-458d-89f1-3cec37761165Post:f1032169-3af6-44b2-a7f1-5dbcd328b2a7">Re: Advice for the guys?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Advice for the guys? : PPs noted P90X-this is a great idea, and I have a lot of male friends who have had great results with this.  What about running outside?  Maybe he won't perceive that as "girly" since it's not on the treadmill.  DC really isn't that cold--it was mid-60s today, t-shirt weather--and won't be prohibitively cold until maybe mid-December (I know, I live here, and wore a t-shirt to exercise outside today).
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

<div>Getting him to run is......just never going to happen. He complains about walking 15 blocks to the national mall with our dog. And I know! It's been so warm! But I'm trying to think big picture, and I assume it's going to EVENTUALLY get cold this year? (Though weather report says high 70s next week?)</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to look into P90X. Fingers crossed he's into it. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_advice-for-the-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c9f65b64-3ab5-458d-89f1-3cec37761165Post:dca6bf2d-398c-49f7-812e-8fc801bd0448">Re: Advice for the guys?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Advice for the guys? : Getting him to run is......just never going to happen. He complains about walking 15 blocks to the national mall with our dog. And I know! It's been so warm! But I'm trying to think big picture, and I assume it's going to EVENTUALLY get cold this year? (Though weather report says high 70s next week?) Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to look into P90X. Fingers crossed he's into it. 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Definitely look into P90X- potlitical affiliations aside- Paul Ryan does it and look at him. I don't personlly agree with his views, but i agree with his bangin' body.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My wife is trying to lose the weight but also reduce large because she is playing tennis since 6 years. 
    She has succeed to great extent to lose her belly fat through tennis. 
    I also looking about losing the my body weight through tennis or football.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards