Wedding Etiquette Forum

I make old people sad

I was just at the post office to ship out some big boxes, and this kind elderly man tried to give me his place in the line. I politely declined, but he insisted because of my boxes, so I set them down on a side counter so he wouldn't worry. I wasn't going to take an old man's place in line.

Next thing I know, he is picking up my heavy boxes and shuffling them over to the counter nearest the front, so I "wouldn't have to go as far," then took his place behind me in line! I was like, "no, no, no, it's really okay. Please go back to your place sir." Then he got all sad and apologized! I tried to thank him again as he was leaving, but he just said, sadly, "I'm really sorry. It was none of my business." I felt like a douche, and I was seriously trying to help him! Argh.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko

Re: I make old people sad

• Shame you, you mean, mean girl.
  • I know. I'm the bane of the younger generation. :(

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • You hateful woman you! Wink
  • Ugh, I just feel bad in situations like that. I didn't want the elderly man to move my boxes and give me his place in line, and yet I felt disrespectful for saying no to him because he's my elder! It's a no-win.

• I understand. I always hate that feeling, especially when it comes to older people.
  • aw, it's okay BG!

Sounds like you were both trying to do the "right" thing...him being a gentleman and you respecting your elders.  
  • Waiting at a restaurant one night, I tried to give my seat to an older woman (she was probably late 60s, early 70s), and she totally scolded me for implying she was old and decrepit! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_old-people-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d6ae0e73-781a-450b-8d3d-38e45bac2d54Post:72c9264c-3925-4870-8eed-8cfb62185fdb">Re: I make old people sad</a>:
    [QUOTE]Waiting at a restaurant one night, I tried to give my seat to an older woman (she was probably late 60s, early 70s), and she totally scolded me for implying she was old and decrepit! 
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]

Sorry JK but I'm LMAO!
  • It's ok, I laughed too!
  • Thanks Kate. That's exactly how it felt. And I still felt like a douche for giving someone's grandpa sadface.

JK, that's too funny. At least you tried. I'll probably give someone the side-eye too when I'm older, because I'll be suspicious of what's really going on.

• I had a situation a couple of weekends ago where a few fairly heavy boxes needed to be carried up from my grandparents' basement.  My Grandad and I had a bit of arguing back and forth as to who was going to do it.  He's 83 and really should not be carrying heavy things anymore but I guess he's still a man and the machoness hasn't faded away entirely.  Eventually my Grandma had to step in and tell me to let him do it lest he get upset and make her miserable for the rest of the day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, that's a tough dynamic to tackle 3plus. It's probably hard to for them to distinguish the line between you wanting to be helpful and coming off as patronizing or condescending. Especially in American culture where the elderly are often seen as incompetent compared to younger generations. There's a lot of pride in the older generations, they went through a lot. I hope your grandpa was okay after carrying the boxes!

EDIT: I wasn't implying you were patronizing or condescending to your grandpa, or to the elderly in general. :)

• He was fine as it turned out, just a little winded.

I tried to play it off as he had been busy puttering around the house all day whilst I'd been sitting on my butt having tea and cookies with my Grandma.  I don't think he was buying it though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's true. You make me sad each and every day. <3
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Aw, you're a good granddaughter, 3plus.

Haha! Nice try salt, you look younger than I do. Actually, now you just made me sad. *sobs*

• Lies!
    Seriously though, that is so not true.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Uh huh. The kid in my pic is face palming your silliness. Are you going to argue with a child? Didn't think so. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards