New Jersey

HELP! SIMPLE wedding venue needed in a WEEK!!!

Hi!
I am looking for a non-jerseylicious wedding site for our reception (simple is key with me, PLEASE).  We do NOT want to have to bring everything in so catering would need to be provided.  We also have a fairly strict budget - who doesn't though, right?!?!

ANY help anyone can offer for suggestions, I feel like I've looked at ALL OF IT and don't like ANYTHING that we can afford, everything I like is TOO expensive!  We are going to lose the date at the church if we don't decide officially with a venue with the week.

THANK YOU!!!

Re: HELP! SIMPLE wedding venue needed in a WEEK!!!

• goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Where have you looked, and what is your budget?  The budget information will be especially helpful to suggest some places.
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • lorisevanslorisevans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our budget is about 120, but, that includes when you factor in the gratuitiy and taxes per person.  I know it's a tough request, and in fact, if we could go lower, that's ideal.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks Reilly626, why 'for real'???  the website doesn't have many pictures of the reception hall, do you have any more information? 
    edited December 2011
    There are a lot of places that you can get that.   Have you tried:

The Tides Estate
    The Manor
    The Brownstone
    The Empire Club

All of those were around that or less for a Friday night wedding in the summer.  Not sure what time of year you are looking at but the winter would be cheaper.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

thanks goaliegirl, what a help!  I am looking for something much simpler, a little less fancy if that makes any sense.  to put it in perspective, I am very into a look similar to 'stirling ridge' although that is way out of our budget range.

I am so thankful for the quick immediate help, THANK YOU!!!

edited December 2011
    no problem...there are so many others, that I cannot think of right now, but I am sure others will chime in with some other reccommendations.  Good Luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ps:  I see in your picture that your name is Laurie and your husband is Gregg.  My namei is 'Lori' and my fiance is 'Greg'.  SMALL WORLD :) 
    edited December 2011
    too funny...and a friend of mine whose name is Lori is married to a Greg!  
  • edited December 2011
    Take a look at the Bridgewater Manor. It should be under $100 per person for all of their packages including gratuity and tax. Gratuity there is only 8%

There is also Gran Centurians in Clark. They should also be under or around $100 per person after tax and gratuity.

Heather And Stephen

10-2-10

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thought you were kidding... a week wow!
    Heres one that is $85 pp
    http://brettonwoods.net/
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Kenilworth Inn is like 50-60, Galloping Hill, The Westwood, and O'Connors
  • DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think she means that the venue needs be used in a week, but that she needs to find something in a week.  Is that how you read it?  Cause I had to look twice to see if what I read was correct too.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ohhh well we need to BOOK in a week, the wedding isnt til next July.  keep the suggestions coming :)  simplicity is key - basically meaning I don't want it to be a typical jersey wedding hall.  not that they aren't beautiful, it's just not the theme I'm going for.
  • edited December 2011
    My venue, Neshanic Valley Golf Course, offers a package for $89 pp (plus tax) which comes to about $96 per person (the $89 includes gratuity). It's their most basic package and the venue is beautiful. I completely understand where you're coming from, not wanting the typical Jersey venue, and this isn't at all. And as a matter of fact my Fi and I checked out Stone House at Stirling Ridge (which wasn't in our budget either). Neshanic is catered by Merri Makers which has a few different locations around NJ. Merri Makers gets mixed reviews on this board, but we've been to a few tastings and have enjoyed the food each time. Definitely worth looking into...

http://www.merrimakerscatering.com/locations/nechanic-valley-golf-course.html

http://www.neshanicvalleygolf.com/
  • edited December 2011
    http://feastcaterers.com/

My venue. It's in NY, but not too far. No crystal chandeliers or floral carpeting, I promise =)

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi, thanks, I do like the looks of the site, do you have any ideas where I might be able to view more pictures?  there are not many on the site.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i meant hte last post for rlb81.

one more thing I should have mentioned (sorry guys! i'm just learning this stuff).  we are getting married in south orange, nj, so I don't want for the reception site to be any further than 30/40 mins.
  • JennM31JennM31 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Primavera Regency in Stirling, NJ
    Bridgewater Manor,
    The Manor in the Oranges.
  • edited December 2011
    what exactly do you consider a "typical Jersey wedding hall"?  I'm a little confused by this.  What constitutes a wedding hall as being "Jersey"?  Instead of being vague and insulting people who are getting, or who have been married at these so-called "Jersey" halls, maybe you should tell us what it is that you are looking for so that we may be able to assist you better.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Knolls Country Club in parsipanny told me they were running a special about $80/pp so around $100/head when you figure in tax/grat etc
  • edited December 2011
    Have you considered Orange Lawn Tennis Club? It's a homey space with a pretty, non-ornate ballroom. Plus, it's in South Orange!

It would be over your budget, but you might be able to pull it off if you keep your cocktail hour simple. Also, they don't have the 150-guest minimum that you see with most New Jersey venues, so you can invite fewer guests if you'd like to keep the cost down.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    re: kellyandeddie's comment:  if you read my previous post I said the following:

I don't want it to be a typical jersey wedding hall.  not that they aren't beautiful, it's just not the theme I'm going for.

it's mostly due to my very large family who seems to have married at so many of the popular venues, which is why it is "not the theme I am going for".  thanks for your comment and time spent reading my post though, I appreciate any help any bride is offering.  I am just looking for something very plain I think would be the best word.

re: 37 Butter Knives: orange lawn tennis club, I do LOOOVE it and that is just the look we're going for, but it's over budget and we do not really plan on cutting our list.  (I know, we are asking for all this trouble!)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks melissa 82, my brother got married there which is the ONLY reason we're not...we're trying to make a venue 'our own' and it feels a little less special that way.
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oakside Mansion?
    http://www.frungillo.com/frungillo_new/oak/oakeside_photo_gallery.html

Not sure about pricing, I don't think you mentioned whether you want day or night and what day of the week.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oakside is too small, UGH!  thanks for such great suggestions though.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm, how about the Dolce in Palisades, N.Y.? It was built as a corporate retreat for IBM, but it's a hotel as well. It's about 45 minutes from South Orange, right over the state border. The grounds are nice, and the whole place has a clean, modern look.

http://www.dolce-ibm-palisades.com/weddings/weddings.asp

I was at a wedding there last summer, and I think the cost for everything was $130 per guest. They really negotiated, though!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would still say Bretton Woods Mansion.. If you are willing to do PA, The Stroudmoor.
  • edited December 2011
    I looked at Bretton Woods Mansion too and liked it a lot, but I have heard the food there isnt that great. I would recommend trying it before signing a contract just to make sure. Thats what made me nervous and we selected a different venue.

If you want more modern, we picked the Hamilton Park Hotel in Florham Park. Its beautiful, the food is great, and the staff are so helpful! No candeliers, etc more modern features, which we liked. Plus a great bar for an after party and what sold us is the hotel location so everyone can stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards