Michigan-Grand Rapids

NEED MARINES!!! UGH!

I am getting married Nov.12. He really wants to do the Marine Corps sword arch (I added a youtube link below). Went into the recruiters office today to see if they could help us. They are all going to be at the Marine Corps Birthday Ball that weekend. grrrr. Now I either have to find Marines (with Blues that fit and have sword) or not have the arch. I guess that is what I get for being so close to the birthday(Nov 10) and waiting till now to try and figure it out. So anyone know amy Marines who might wanna help out???

http://youtu.be/C04rEAjFH_I

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: NEED MARINES!!! UGH!

• dogsandfrogsdogsandfrogs member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you don't mind me asking do you have a connection to the Marine Corps that warrants having a sword arch?  The sword arch is typically only authorized for weddings of service members; you can't just find Marines to do it because you think it looks cool.

• edited December 2011

He is a Marine...he was medically retierd in '05. I guess I should have been a bit more clear...oops!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ooookay, I feel better now.  Thanks for clarifying!

Because the Marine Corp birthday is that weekend, you're probably going to have a hard time finding enough authorized personnel (only officers, warrant, or staff noncommissioned officers can carry swords, although you probably already knew that) for the arch.  Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Yeah that is one think that I didnt think about when we set our date. Needless to say it is to late to change the date now.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does your fiance have any friends still in the service?

It's also not unusual to have members from different branches participate in an arch if he knows authorized personnel in the Army, Navy, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    He lost touch with his whole unit after his got hurt, and really only has one friend from that time period, who is the best man and also med retierd. He will be wearing his Blues. None of our other Marine friends still fit in their uniforms, and dont want to do it. :( We may just be SOL on this one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's too bad.  Peronsally I would think it would feel awkward to have 6 strangers at your wedding just because they carry swords, despite how awesome it can be to have the arch.  Besides, there are rules they have to follow about their participation in the wedding (they have to be the ushers, etc), so really you get alot more than you bargain for in terms of logistics than if they were friends or acquaintances.
  • edited December 2011

Yes they would be strangers, it has been my experiance that you get a group of Marines together it doesnt really matter, the are all brothers in the end.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • maggieandlukemaggieandluke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was at my friends wedding where they had the parents and bridal party do the arch. It was pretty awesome, but men in blues is hard to beat....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards