New Jersey

Need a Catholic priest for an outdoor interfaith wedding

Hi there,

I am looking for any suggestions or resources for finding a Catholic priest who will be open to marrying a Catholic and non-Catholic person at an outdoor ceremony in NJ. I'm not sure where to start with my search, especially since I live outside of the NJ area. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Re: Need a Catholic priest for an outdoor interfaith wedding

• jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Father John Michael O'Sullivan.  I read great reviews here and on other sites and when I met him in person I absolutely loved him.

732-786-1906

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I used pp's officiant, though, you do understand that it will not be recognized by the catholic church if you are not married in a catholic church, Father O'Sullivan is a former Catholic Priest, he put some Catholic parts in our wedding, but it was very non-denomination (we are both catholic but didnt' want a catholic ceremony).
  • edited December 2011
    Your marriage will not be recognized in the Catholic church unless the ceremony takes place on sacred ground, i.e. a church or graveyard.  Anywhere else and it does not count.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also you need to go through pre-cana in order for it to be recognized by the Catholic Church
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I am using a retired Catholic priest as well, the church I belong to will not have a problem baptizing my child so  not all churches are as strict as others.

Father Henry Fehrenbacher
    212 594 2069
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • edited December 2011
    Kathy- Any church should be following the rules of the diocese, they do not just make their own rules.  If not done correctly, the actual sacrament of marriage will not be recognized by the Catholic church (nevermind the future in terms of children and sacraments).
    image182 invited
  • edited December 2011
    Feel free to call my priest and discuss this with him, he is actually very pationate about this subject. He is still with diocese and still gets paid, I just talked to him 2 minutes ago because this post reminded me I needed to meet with him. He was telling me how just a couple of months ago he was quoted on TV saying  how if it's OK for the Pope to hold a mass in a baseball stadium how is being married outside of the church not allowed? God has created all, and all is sacred. My marriage will be recognized because God will be present.

I understand how strongly some of you feel about this therefore I'm not going to push this subject, just wanted to add my two cents.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, please don't get me wrong, I was not trying to say that your priest or you were lying.

I just wanted the OP to know what the rules are regarding the Catholic Church so that she does not make a mistake in thinking that any catholic priest can marry you anywhere you want and that automatically makes it recognized.
    image182 invited
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard of priests who are willing to do an outdoor ceremony, provided you do pre-cana and have a cermony (could be just you, FI and your witnesses) within the walls of the church first. Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_need-catholic-priest-outdoor-interfaith-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:6a63c8c4-82be-475b-80f1-26cde35cbf99Post:0b91bd4b-2064-4aad-a246-90cd11006d28">Re: Need a Catholic priest for an outdoor interfaith wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have heard of priests who are willing to do an outdoor ceremony, provided you do pre-cana and have a cermony (could be just you, FI and your witnesses) within the walls of the church first. Good luck.
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

This is the only way it will be recognized prior and/or during a non church (or graveyard) wedding, no ifs ands or buts, I just went through trying to figure how we could get it recognized if we wanted to. Oh and the children portion really is the only thing that depends on the strictness of the church. For ref, MH's very close family friend is a retired priest, we asked him if he could do the ceremony outside, he said he could but in no way would it be "legit" unless we did what I quoted above.
  • edited December 2011

Cheryl, can I have that retired preist's phone number?? So I can verify? ;0)

image182 invited
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions and advice! This has been helpful and informative.

At this point, I am less concerned with the Church's recognition. I believe that God will recognize my marriage. Since my fiance is not Catholic, we'd like to have a mix of traditions, and a more open-minded priest would probably be best for us. And it sounds like we have some options so that's great news!

Thanks again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards