New York-Hudson Valley

Newly engaged-Need help!

Hi like most I suppose, I am new to this whole wedding planning process.

I dont know where to even begin. I guess the best place to start would be the venue??

Can anyone offer me some recommendations for good venues in the husdon valley area?

Much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Brooke

Re: Newly engaged-Need help!

• BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Brooke,

Start with a guest list and budget so you figure out what you can afford before jumping onto venues. It'll save you time, promise.

Jaimie
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! Congrats and welcome!

Weddings can be overwhelming!

First things you have to decide:

the total budget (and who is contributing)

the number of people you expect to have

how much are you willing to pay per person at the venue

also where do you plan on having the ceremony - church, at the venue, at a park? 

and finally, what type of venue do you (and FI) envision?

Then we can all help!

(Also, since you are from New Jersey, are you open to the entire Hudson Valley, or do you want to stay close to Rockland?)

Let us know!
  • edited December 2011
    Jaimie - just realized we must have been typing at the same time!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! I think guest list and budget should be first then the venue.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Meliss5178Meliss5178 member
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP- # of guests and budget are the biggest factors to consider before looking at venues. They will narrow down the venues that are able to accomodate you. So make that guest list and crunch the #'s!

(for example, some venues will be too small or your guest list, or have too high of a minimum # of guests, too expensive, etc.)
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone--guest list and budget need to be first!  Also before you start going to see venues, start thinking about what type of venue you and your FI would like... there are so many different options and if you go to look at them all you will drive yourself crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratsssssssssssss
    and
    what they said! LOL

• ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_newly-engaged-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:43c42f81-df4d-42a4-b639-18cc31a619a6Post:0c329ee4-30c2-4076-8f31-094c76044255">Re: Newly engaged-Need help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome and congratsssssssssssss and what they said! LOL
    Posted by Midgette[/QUOTE]

THIS
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_newly-engaged-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:43c42f81-df4d-42a4-b639-18cc31a619a6Post:3a6c7e51-331a-417f-a807-9178557fd8e3">Re: Newly engaged-Need help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with everyone--guest list and budget need to be first!  Also before you start going to see venues, start thinking about <strong>what type of venue</strong>you and your FI would like... there are so many different options and <strong>if you go to look at them all you will drive yourself crazy</strong>!
    Posted by probablykate[/QUOTE]

Highly agree! I visited 40 places and I knew I wanted a traditional wedding at a catering hall type place! Yes, 40. I admit I was a little nuts! (To put it into perspective though, Joe saw eight and my parents saw three. I used to work in a catering hall so I was a little particular about what I wanted. Also, I found the venue search to be fun!)

But, figure out what type you both are envisioning, and in what geographic area.

Good luck! And have fun!
  • carolsdaycarolsday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Exactly what pp have said , you need a budget and head count first :)  Congratulations  !!
  • Bells4BnJBells4BnJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Aw thanks so much everyone! I will definitley take your advice!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards