Hawaii

Olowalu Plantation House

Hello fellow brides! - Wondering if anyone can provide incite on the Olowalu Plantation House. Good / bad, etc. Also, is it really necessary to have a wedding planner? Is it worth it? Also, any clue of costs for a wedding planner? Suggestions?

We are looking at 50 people and love this venue. Just have no idea if it will even fit in to our 20K budget. 

Re: Olowalu Plantation House

• I had my wedding there last June, I planned for 50 people totaly, in reality on 40 actually made it and all that was under a 20K budget.  Though I didn't go all out either.  I had a wonderful ceremony, flowers, DJ, sit down dinner and wedding cupcakes, photographer, videographer and wedding consultant.  I brought some of my own decorations and provided the alcohol. 

To me Olowalu is a gorgeous venue and being beach side made my day a complete dream come true.  So if you're on a 20K budget you can totally make it happen. 
  • DazzlingDeb23DazzlingDeb23 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I am planning my wedding for June 2013 at Olowalu, and I am expecting around 50 people.  My budget is $15-20,000, and right now I am at about 18,000.  So yes, it is totally doable.  You just have to remember what is really important to you and what you can live without.  I started out wanting all the extravagance, but quickly started to realize that I can live without certain things to stay within budget.  Afterall, I am the only one who will even realize those particular things are missing.  Olowalu was just too beautiful and I couldn't find any other place I would rather have my wedding.  I am using a coordinator, she was $1400 and up to this point she has been worth every penny.  She has done SOOO much for me, and since I am constantly busy with work and school, I could not imagine getting every little detail done without her. 
  • Ladies - thank you so much for your posts and incite! So helpful - it is a little overwelming and not even sure where to begin :)

Any suggestions on wedding planners? I found a few but having a hard time even figuring out what all services they include and pricing. Little nerve wracking leaving stuff in someone elses hands but if I know I can trust them and they are responsive then I am sure it is totally worth it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_olowalu-plantation-house-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:58b1beb2-a494-4de8-b6d7-0b05b2fe0a93Post:ea16194f-fa90-4afb-b9bc-00fa00cb2679">Re: Olowalu Plantation House</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ladies - thank you so much for your posts and incite! So helpful - it is a little overwelming and not even sure where to begin :) Any suggestions on wedding planners? I found a few but having a hard time even figuring out what all services they include and pricing. Little nerve wracking leaving stuff in someone elses hands but if I know I can trust them and they are responsive then I am sure it is totally worth it. 
    Posted by lgoeke[/QUOTE]

i'm looking at this venue too. Am I understanding correctly that you can bring your own liquor and wine? That will make a huge difference for my budget if so. I also second the request for wedding planner recs.
  • Yes you can bring in your own alcohol, just remember that all vendors must be approved by the property manager.  This is another reason that a planner is so helpful... they have a whole list of people who they normally work with that are approved. Also remember that Olowalu has nothing, no lights, tables, etc so remember to keep those items in mind when forming your budget (if you choose Olowalu)  I am currently using Sandra Wagner of A Maui Wedding Day, but I also looked into Cherise with a The Perfect Wedding Maui and Lori from Tropical Weddings Maui.  I just called them and talked to them on the phone, got a feel for who they were and what they could offer, and compared prices.  Ultimately it was nerve wrecking placing it in their hands, but remember they do this everyday and will make your life a lot easier in the long run. 
  • I used Lori with Tropical Maui Weddings and I always go out of my way to recommend her, she was fabulous!! I couldn't have pulled everything off without her help.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • I used Cherise at Perfect Wedding Maui and I 100% recommend her.  Her pricing structure is great and she doesn't have any hidden costs and will be totally straightforward with you throughout the planning process.  We also got married at Olowalu in July '11 with 50 people and spent $22K when all was said and done and I didn't skimp on anything that I really wanted.  It was the perfect day! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Thank you so much!! we are having some sticker shock with the pricing of everything. Anyone used Leah with Hawaiian wedding memories?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards