Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Can I ask for a re-shoot? Disappointed in lack of wedding photos.

I was just married and some of the photos were great.  I booked a photographer that was not really my style -- that was my mistake. I had buyers remorse immediately after signing the contract, but got "a deal" at almost 5K. 

Fast forward to the wedding.  I have one traditional shot of my husband and I.  ONE.  Over 1000 pictures and one traditional shot, taken in a hotel building before my wedding. The wedding was at an absolutlely gorgeous venue on the beach.  I have a ton of photos kissing, looking at each other, and other random cheesy poses, but not a traditional one outside.  I'm disappointed and devastated.

I want to ask for a re-shoot for that one photo.  For the amount I paid, I feel that this should have been assumed that I would want just one traditional headshot that I did not get.  I'm willing to pay for my hair, makeup and suit cleaning and to fly my husband back to the wedding venue -- a cost of 1000 JUST to get this shot...

Do you think this is a waste of time/money or a losing battle with the photographer? It will take 30 minutes of the photographer's time, and I feel like this is the only thing that will make me happy.  I just don't understand how I did not get this shot...so disappointed.

Re: Can I ask for a re-shoot? Disappointed in lack of wedding photos.

• edited December 2011
    I think it is a waste personally. Sorry. I'm just wondering why you didn't say something the day of? Was it that he posed you in a traditional way and didn't take the shot? Didn't you notice that all the shots were "candid" and not a traditional one like you wanted?

I could just never imagine spending all that money for one photo. If you have a lot of other beautiful photos, I would focus on those. It's not like you got really crappy photos. You're missing one you wanted. I know a lot of brides who look bad and wish they had gotten that one photo they didn't, but they just focus on the ones they got that they love. I'd just move on.

Also, I think it's just as much your fault. You said you ASSUMED you'd get the shot, which makes me think you never actually told the photog "Hey, I really want to get this shot for sure." A miscommunication and it sucks, but you needed to speak up, if not beforehand, definitely on the wedding day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It takes more than 30 minutes of the photographers time, first of all.

Check your contract.  It usually says that reshooting the event is blah blah blah unrealistic and will not be done.

And Ditto PP.  My photographer didn't get any detail photos of my reception hall that I had requested.  Instead, I have a photo of every single guest from my wedding.  I'm definitely not upset about not having a photo of my centerpieces and am much happier that I have several photos of my 90 year old great aunt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is a losing battle with your photographer. Why would you hire them again if you never liked their style? That's just beyond my understanding. I saw you post this on another wedding board and there you said that you specifically told the photographer you don't like cheesy traditional stuff. If I was that photographer I would almost be afraid to ask you to do something traditional like smile and look straight at the camera because you told him you didn't want that. And in that other post you did say you did get ONE photo like that but you're not happy because it was inside instead of outside. Why didn't you speak up and ask for it? Honestly this is not the fault of the photographer in this case. You got 1000 wedding photos back in less than 2 weeks and I'm sure that there are beautiful shots of your wedding day. Focus on what you did get instead of what you didn't.
  • edited December 2011
    You are overreacting. Show us what you do have-I bet you have way better photos than a lot of ladies.
  • edited December 2011
    If you're willing to spend all that money and do all that for ONE picture, hire a better photographer that you really like to do a session with you in the same place. Asking for more pictures from the same photographer is a waste because you'll most likely be disappointed again. Either live with it the way it ended up or fix it, but don't half-ass it. If you're gonna fix it, do it right.
  • edited December 2011
    Always be specific with your photographer about what kind of photos you want! I stress this to my clients. If there are specific types of photos you want, you have to request them...such as "take photos of the beach in the background" etc. Otherwise the photography is at the photographer's choice and it would be hard to get a free re-shoot.

:/
  • edited December 2011
    But I can't believe $5,000!! He should def reshoot just the one photo. I sure the heck would for that price.
  • SilverSarahBSilverSarahB member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that it would be better to hire a different photographer (one you click with more appropriately) for a "re-do" session.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards