Ohio-Columbus

Appetizer Reception?

Hi there everyone!

I'm more of a lurker, but have a quick question! We are looking to cut costs in our wedding by holding a later wedding (ceremony at 7 p.m.) followed by a heavy appetizer + dancing reception. 

Do you know of anywhere in Columbus to hold an affordable but nice reception of this kind? I still want tables, etc. so my guests can sit down. 

Thanks ladies! 

Re: Appetizer Reception?

• edited December 2011
    I guess where you have it kind of depends on your budget, the number on your guest list, and the fell you want.  However, I think a cool restaurant, art gallery, or modern setting would lend itself well to an appetizer reception. I have heard people say that having an appetizer reception didn't really cut down on their costs. Although I haven't been to one, my coworker went to a later appetizer reception and still felt hungry when she left, so I would make sure there's plenty of food. 

But this type of reception would lend itself well to a place like Barcelona, the Venue/Loft at Smith Brothers, the Burgundy Room, Due Amici, or COSI, but again, it depends on your vision. I would also pick up a Columbus Bride or look on their website for their reception venue guide and research places of interest to you. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    What about OSU's Urban Arts Space? They do events by the hour so you could potentially save money that way.
  • fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard that appetizer receptions can almost be just as expensive as a full dinner. I have nothing to back that up but I've heard that. Have you compared it to the cost of a dinner?? Just a thought.
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with MissOwl. We had an event there in college and loved the space. It is absolutely gorgeous. We had our event with finger foods (even some tacos/chicken fingers) and still stayed around 1000 (with a student org discount) for around 50 people. 
  • KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Clintonville Women's Club charges $17.50 pp for appetizer receptions. Tables, chairs, linens, glassware, etc. included. We are having a sit down dinner there next October. They are wonderful to work with and it's so nice not to be nickled and dimed like so many of the other locaitons we considered.
    Anniversary
  • usagirl428usagirl428 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow thanks for the amazing advice girls! I've also heard that an appetizer reception isn't much cheaper...bummer!!! I'll definitely be looking into some of the places mentioned, though! 
  • itsallnice421itsallnice421 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a ceremony at 7:30pm with an appetizer reception at The Vault downtown. It was nice!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_appetizer-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:e4abfad8-a846-4c64-8ae2-eb5920bbd8afPost:679b02c2-b378-4270-b1e7-7f553ea0b958">Re: Appetizer Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a ceremony at 7:30pm with an appetizer reception at The Vault downtown. It was nice!
    Posted by itsallnice421[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Same here... I recently attended an appetizer reception at the Vault and it was amazing! All the appetizers were completely delicious. 
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards