Wedding Etiquette Forum

How to ask your friends to be a Bridesmaid? -from out of town

Hi there,
I'm living in Edmonton and my friends that I'd like to ask to be my Bridesmaids live in Manitoba or across the US. What is the best way to ask them? Is there anything memorable I can do?

M

Re: How to ask your friends to be a Bridesmaid? -from out of town

• salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    Well you see...there's this new fangled invention out there that lets you dial a number in and it will connect you with your friends that are far away!

I can't remember what it's called though...
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • just call them. "hi, I'm getting married! would you like to be my bridesmaid?" it's not difficult.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I called the two of mine that were out of town and asked them over the phone.  It really doesn't have to be a big production.  If you want to do more than just a phone call though, there are some cute "will you be my bridesmaid" cards out there. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wrote cards.  I'm not a phone person.  They liked them.

I also prefer cards because I don't think it puts them on the spot as much--one of my BMs is on a tight budget and I wanted her to be able to think it over before accepting.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Candy-grams work too.
  • It's Manitoba, L-Bride!  Poutine-o-grams is the only way to go. 
  • I live in London, my BM are in the US.  I sent this, they thought it was funny.  Three of them sent cards back.   
  • Ah yes, what was I thinking?! Listen to OWN...nothing makes women want to dress up in lace and tulle like a steamy plate of fries and gravy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ask-friends-bridesmaid-out-of-town?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f3673a67-97aa-41d6-b339-de7ceb30db6aPost:425fbee3-f01d-44e2-b927-62978093ed5d">Re: How to ask your friends to be a Bridesmaid? -from out of town</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's Manitoba, L-Bride!  Poutine-o-grams is the only way to go. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

I lived in Manitoba for a long time.
    Poutine there is gross. Shredded cheese and oven fries. Only like Burger King had good poutine.
  • I think P2 is on to something. Send the actual Burger King guy to your friend's doors with a plate of poutine that spells out "Will you be my bridesmaid?"

If they say no to that, they never loved you.

• I asked my out of town friend over the phone.  And then when she said yes, I sent her a Thank You card.

My other friends I asked in person with a card.
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I called all of mine.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • My MOH lives in California.  I called her and asked, although we played phone tag for 3 days after I got engaged until I could truly ask her.  It was no biggie, I think we'd always assumed she'd be my MOH.  Another BM I asked over a casual email.  I just don't see what the big deal is and why it has to be made an event of.
  • Get two coffee cans and some string...
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • All of my bridesmaids are out of town.  I sent them all lovely cards, which they all appreciated.  I did not want to do it over the phone, because I did not want to put anyone on the spot.  They all called me and graciously accepted.  I am not sure why this post is warranting such sarcastic answers, I think it is a very valid question.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest! my read shelf:
    Margot's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I just think a lot of people don't wonder how exactly they're going to ask they're friends to be in their wedding. You just...ask them.

• I hate talking on the phone and thought texting wouldn't be appropriate so though facebook I never 3 of them were all going to be together (I live out of state) so I called that night so I could talk with all of them at once.. The other 3 I called.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All of my attendants are OOT.  With my two best friends, I asked them to be BM while I was on a trip with them.  I called my sister to ask her to be MOH.  All were excited and readily accepted.
  • All of my BMS are out of town too! Whew...thought I was the only one out there! haha They are all travelling here for the wedding! :) So excited, any girl whos ya friend/ family Im sure would glady accept! Any kind of invite...or call will do just fine! :)

First Date: June 8, 2009

Engaged: January 16, 2010

Tying the Knot: April 3, 2011

Wedding Countdown Ticker Someone who does not run towards the allure of love walks a road where nothing lives.-Rumi
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards