Wedding Reception Forum

Marriage Celebration instead of wedding reception

My FI and I are recently engaged and I am currently pregnant. We are also in the process of buying our first home. He wants to be married before the baby comes in September and I don't like the idea of a wedding reception months after the wedding but there is no way we can afford to pay for a reception in the next few months we both have a LARGE families. So we had an idea to have a small marriage ceremony before the baby comes but then throw a "marriage celebration" on the 1yr anniversary of our wedding. we would not be doing the special first dances and no wedding dress would be included and there would be no BP either.
But we still want to have the DJ food and drinks. also had the idea to playing a sideshow of pictures of us and our first year together and maybe have someone record us when we exchange vows and play that back as well.
Just looking for some feed back on the idea.

Re: Marriage Celebration instead of wedding reception

• When you have your small wedding, remember you need to host anyone you invite to it.  It can just be dinner at restaurant or snacks at your home.  Technically, that is your wedding reception.

As for having a big party a year later, that's totally fine.  You have the right idea of no wedding dress, etc.. because it's not a wedding.  It will be a first anniversary party and I think it sounds great!  Good food, drink, and entertainment is all you need.
  • Ditto everything Joy said.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_marriage-celebration-instead-of-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:019292b5-e69e-4c05-9f74-2164a63ca311Post:d116364c-1f36-4d70-8b3d-677db20433be">Re: Marriage Celebration instead of wedding reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto everything Joy said.
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

Seconded.
  • Third Joy. What you're suggesting sounds lovely. Congratulations on your baby!
  • Forth!!  And thank you for realizing you are not having a "real wedding" a year later!  It is exactly what you say, a marriage celebration.  Just be careful to really determine a budget, as what you think you can save for a year or two may not be attainable once a house and baby come into the picture.  With houses, there are taxes, utilities, things break.  With babies... there is ALOT!! 

I think the slideshow will be a very nice touch, especially with a cute baby in a lot of the pictures!  Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_marriage-celebration-instead-of-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:019292b5-e69e-4c05-9f74-2164a63ca311Post:86b2a9ae-1395-4ac4-ae81-92ab462b0c98">Re: Marriage Celebration instead of wedding reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Forth!!  And thank you for realizing you are not having a "real wedding" a year later!  It is exactly what you say, a marriage celebration.  Just be careful to really determine a budget, as what you think you can save for a year or two may not be attainable once a house and baby come into the picture.  With houses, there are taxes, utilities, things break.  With babies... there is ALOT!!  I think the slideshow will be a very nice touch, especially with a cute baby in a lot of the pictures!  Good luck.
    Posted by miranda holly[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I think a small wedding now and blow out first anniversary party sounds like a lovely idea, but once you add a kid into the picture, saving for a wedding isn't going to be as realistic.  Kids are obscenely expensive, and a party is probably not going to be your number one saving priority anymore.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Unless you're in a situation where you realistically expect that your finances are going to change dramatically in the next year, you should be realistic about whether you can and will want to save up all that money for a party.  If you think you might not, you should consider PPs suggestions for a smaller and less expensive wedding now.  </div>
  • edited February 2013
    we aren't financially able to pay for a reception now because it would be a 400+ guest list( we both have HUGE families). at catering being around $20 a plate that puts the price tag around 8grand! that is just crazy to get saved up by june. And I realize that babies are a large expense. But my FI and I both have steady jobs and make a decent wage. Everything we have right now is going into the down payment for a house. By next year we will be able to afford the big party AND a baby. We just can't afford it NOW. 

We are going to have a small dinner at a local restaurant with those who attended the ceremony. Which the ceremony will NOT be at a courthouse now. We actually found a nice little historical chapel for a great price of $40 that goes right back to he historical society in our area. 

And for inquiring minds, we want to get married before the baby comes because we just don't want to wait anymore. My FI actually had the ring for about 6 months before I even found out I was pregnant. He said he wanted to wait for the right time to propose but then it hit him...why wait, whats' the point, which he actually said during the proposal :) We have known each other since high school so its been a long love story. 
  • yeah sure that's ok. i'd skip the slide show though and instead just put photos around. being held hostage to watch a video (as a guest) is boring.
    and make sure you have an open bar :)

• In Response to Re: So long as you're able to save back the 700 a month ON TOP of saving 10 of your salary or whatever savings plan you work out in order to make your 8k budget, that sounds like a fine plan. nbsp;H and I make pretty great livings for our area and I can't imagine 700 a month plus our regular savings as they are now and our savings wouldn't currently be enough for me to be comfortable as a home owner, but if you can make it work, then throw your party and have a great time! Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE] Honestly, I posted here asking for opinions on the idea of a big anniversary party instead of a huge reception. I did not ask for financial advice or whether or not we could save up enough money for the party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards