Snarky Brides
Options

AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help.

This will be my first "grown-up" interview. The job is an Admin. Assistant at a Senior Housing Community.

I had a phone interview on Tuesday, and I thought it went horribly. I wasn't feeling well, and obviously, I wasn't expecting it, so I didn't prepare. He asked me my strengths, my weaknesses (I screwed that up. I don't even know what to say to that question), and asked me about myself. I wasn't sure if he wanted to know personally, professionally, etc.

The interview is two weeks from tomorrow in the afternoon.

What questions should I prepare for? What questions should I ask? Any other advice? I'm freaking out, I NEED this job. Help?

Re: AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help.

• Options
    Congrats on the interview!

Where the hell is cew? She's awesome at this.
    imageimage
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2011
    See if this helps out at all:

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm

They also include a list of best answers so hopefully you can tweak them to yourself and your professional background.

Congrats on the interview and good luck!  Im sure you will do just fine :)

ETA:  I have never been good with the whole "what are your strengths vs weaknesses" type of questions either so no worries

• Options
    Congrats! That's awesome.

When we did our open house last week, we asked:

What do you know about this position? (shows what you know about the company, they want to know if you've done your research)

How do you think your previous (or current) employer would describe you?

How do you overcome challenges? Tight deadlines, working under pressure, etc.

If they ask about weaknesses and you tell them--how do you overcome these weaknesses on the job?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-got-interview-now-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d1517d85-9563-452f-9193-2536bd0590dfPost:1c5c97ca-4f75-47cd-8d7b-46dc6c4c1247">Re: AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on the interview! Where the hell is cew? She's awesome at this.
    Posted by JenGin74[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I'm excited and nervous. Haha. I was hoping Cew would be here. I don't want to bother her though, I know she gets asked these questions a lot.
  • Options
    Do not tell your interviewer that the clients in the senior community had better "hurry up and reduce the surplus population".  That may not go over well.

YAY!  COngrats!
  • Options
    I really like TJ's interview question. It's worked well for a few of the ladies on E, I know.

At the end of the interview, when the interviewer asks if you have any questions, ask "Is there any reason you can think of that I wouldn't be the perfect candidate for this job?"  This forces the interviewer to either agree that you're teh awesome, or list some potential concerns that you can respond to. "Well, we're a little worried that you don't have much experience with X..." "Oh, really? I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, but the truth is..." etc.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-got-interview-now-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d1517d85-9563-452f-9193-2536bd0590dfPost:91fa3c4c-04b7-4fcc-a076-d77d7253e334">Re: AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like TJ's interview question. It's worked well for a few of the ladies on E, I know. At the end of the interview, when the interviewer asks if you have any questions, ask "Is there any reason you can think of that I wouldn't be the perfect candidate for this job?"  This forces the interviewer to either agree that you're teh awesome, or list some potential concerns that you can respond to. "Well, we're a little worried that you don't have much experience with X..." "Oh, really? I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, but the truth is..." etc.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

Nebb told me about that question earlier today, and I told FI. He got the most horrified look on his face and said "If YOU think that THEY think something's wrong with you, then what is actually wrong with you?"

I'm nervous about asking the questions and seeming self-deprecating. And not in a good way.
  • Options
    The thing I've been told about the weaknesses (or areas of improvement, potential difficulties, etc) question is that you should use an actual weakness, not something lame that's actually a positive (like "I'm a perfectionist!"), but then follow up with how you're working on it.

For example, I always say my weakness is that sometimes I take on a little too much without asking for help, and I don't realize it until I'm stressed, but that it's something that became very apparent to me at my last job and so I'm getting better at knowing when to ask for help.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    CONGRATS on the interview! I think you will be fabulous! I have no help with questions though, because all of my real interviews were education jobs and the ?s were all about teaching.
  • Options
    Oh, I'd never thought about that before.  Hmm.

I think it's all in the delivery. If you smile confidently and look the interviewer in the eye, then it should be perceived more as a challenge than a doubt.  But if you don't think you're comfortable asking it like that, then it's probably best not to.  Honestly, I'd probably be anxious about coming off as self-deprecating too, so I can see what you're saying. 

I am not helpful, lol.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-got-interview-now-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d1517d85-9563-452f-9193-2536bd0590dfPost:430694de-3641-4aa5-9c6d-d9b4fdd3b93a">Re: AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help.</a>:
    [QUOTE]The thing I've been told about the weaknesses (or areas of improvement, potential difficulties, etc) question is that you should use an actual weakness, not something lame that's actually a positive (like "I'm a perfectionist!"), but then follow up with how you're working on it. For example, I always say my weakness is that sometimes I take on a little too much without asking for help, and I don't realize it until I'm stressed, but that it's something that became very apparent to me at my last job and so I'm getting better at knowing when to ask for help.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Ok, that actually makes a lot of sense. I told him on the phone, that I couldn't think of anything specifically, but that when I do find something that I'm not too strong doing, I work at it so it's no longer a weakness.

That question makes me feel really stupid.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-got-interview-now-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d1517d85-9563-452f-9193-2536bd0590dfPost:430694de-3641-4aa5-9c6d-d9b4fdd3b93a">Re: AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help.</a>:
    [QUOTE]The thing I've been told about the weaknesses (or areas of improvement, potential difficulties, etc) question is that you should use an actual weakness, not something lame that's actually a positive (like "I'm a perfectionist!"), but then follow up with how you're working on it. For example, I always say my weakness is that sometimes I take on a little too much without asking for help, and I don't realize it until I'm stressed, but that it's something that became very apparent to me at my last job and so I'm getting better at knowing when to ask for help.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree with that!  I've also heard to list an actual thing rather than a character trait.  Like, "I haven't had much experience with {software program}, but I learn quickly so I'm sure it would only take me a day or two to get up to speed." 
  • Options
    I have nothing to add but Congratulations! And I'll be sending vibes your way!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks KD!

Celles, I think that's what I'll have to do, list a thing. Like, I don't know Quicken too well, so that's always something I'm working on. And I'm sure, since it's a Corporate Housing business, they'll have some kind of software I've never heard of.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-got-interview-now-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d1517d85-9563-452f-9193-2536bd0590dfPost:e2132ec1-40d5-42c4-aabd-761cc8ebca1c">Re: AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help. : Nebb told me about that question earlier today, and I told FI. He got the most horrified look on his face and said "If YOU think that THEY think something's wrong with you, then what is actually wrong with you?" I'm nervous about asking the questions and seeming self-deprecating. And not in a good way.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]
    Now that Im not on my phone and can type properly, I want to elaborate further. I think any hiring person is going to have doubts based on this or that having to do with you/employment history (they dont know you, resumes are subjective, and no one is perfect) - by asking the question it gives them a chance to voice these doubts so that you can explain yourself and hopefully change their mind. If you never ask, it never gets brought up, and you pose the risk of leaving the interview with that doubt still in their mind. I have also heard from some hiring people that it is quite a ballsy little question and shows confidence in your abilities. When paired with some solid knowledge of the company and strong questions that show you have done your research and are really interested in the position, it really puts you in a strong position. It has a good track record.
  • Options
    I suck at coming up with questions, so I'm sorry.

But.

CONGRATS ON THE INTERVIEW!! I'm sending you vibes and hope you get it.   : )
  • Options
    I'm useless when it comes to the interview but yay!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-got-interview-now-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d1517d85-9563-452f-9193-2536bd0590dfPost:d8b50f2b-e970-43aa-90b1-6e31765c29f7">AW: I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Now I need help.</a>:
    [QUOTE]This will be my first "grown-up" interview. The job is an Admin. Assistant at a Senior Housing Community. I had a phone interview on Tuesday, and I thought it went horribly. I wasn't feeling well, and obviously, I wasn't expecting it, so I didn't prepare. He asked me my strengths, my weaknesses (I screwed that up. I don't even know what to say to that question), and asked me about myself. I wasn't sure if he wanted to know personally, professionally, etc. The interview is two weeks from tomorrow in the afternoon. What questions should I prepare for? What questions should I ask? Any other advice? I'm freaking out, I NEED this job. Help?
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! That's so exciting.

Here's my advice on the strengths and weakness questions: be honest. The internet is full of bullshiit answers that you can spout off, but most interviewers know that it's just that, bullshit. I actually hate that question because you never get an honest answer out of someone. A better question is the ask someone to tell you about a time that they've failed at something. Or to ask them to tell them about their biggest professional set back. Those questions are harder to fake.

The strength / weakness question is also so personal that it's hard to tell what the best answer is for each person. I would start by taking a kind of professional experience inventory and compare it to the job description. So, if one of the main duties of the job for which you are applying is timely response to residents' inquiries, I'd think back to my past and see if I could find a past success that could relate to this. You could then turn it into a strength because you could back it up with a real life example. So, if timely response is important and you've succeeded in environments with high senses of urgency, you could speak to that as a strength. Make sense?

With weaknesses, again, be honest. For me, it's not about the actual weakness. Unless your weakness is that you cut peoples' heads off and eat their brains, I don't give two shiits about what it actually is. What I want to know is a. are you self aware enough to recognize when you have a developmental opportunity?  and b. can you work to correct it?. Of course, again, if timely resolution to issues is a main priority of the job, I would avoid telling them that you procrastinate like no other. This is where the professional inventory can be helpful because you can think back to your past and find ways in which you've recognized and issue and worked to correct it.

I also hate the "tell me about yourself question". As an HR person, it gives me heartburn when I think about all of the inappropriate personal info that is shared as a result of that question. When answering it, the best thing to do is to have a quick 20 - 30 second commercial in which you can outline your experience, why you're interested in their job and what you can bring to the table. Being succinct and clear while giving the interviewer all of the info that they need will be really impressive since most of your competition will have the tendency to spout off verbal diarrhea for 20 minutes in response to this question.

For questions to prepare for, I would avoid trying to memorize answers to particular questions. It might be helpful for you to google behavioral based interview questions that are specific to admin professions. The best way to prepare for interviews is to go through your resume and just take stock of your experience. Be prepared to talk about the good and the bad. Remember any awards and be prepared to speak to them. The more specific you can be in response to questions, the better off you'll be because they will really be able to understand your experience level.

There's more, but I need to take a break to check on the fam. I'll be back. :)
  • Options
    Also, I love this website http://www.recruitingblogs.com/ . It's a bunch of blogs that are written by recruiters. You have to sift through a ton of recruiter / HR stuff, but it's a great resource.

I logged into the SHRM (Society for HR Mgt) website and pulled these for you as well. They are specific to admin professions:

What do you like about working with customers/clients? Dislike? Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult boss, co-worker or customer. How did you handle the situation?Give us an example of how you stay organized when juggling multiple tasks.Have you worked with under time constraints before? Can you give us an example?Was there a time when you struggled to meet a deadline?What is unique about your work style?What do you know about the company? Describe a time when you made a mistake at work? How did you deal with this situation and what was the outcome?What do you think of your last boss?  What do you think your last boss would say about you and your work?Each boss is little different, my management philosophy /style is ______. In what way do you think that your work style would compliment mine? What do you foresee to be challenges or adjustments for us in this new role?Describe your previous experience with travel planning and reservations. What experience do you have scheduling meetings, conferences and ordering food and materials for meetings?How would you describe your skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access (relevant software used in the job)? Beginner, intermediate, or advanced?How many words per minute can you type?
  • Options
    C&P'd from a recruiting blog about questions to ask at the end of the interview:

There is a moment near the end of job interviews when the interviewer finally is relaxed.  When the interviewer has been asking questions, and assessing your answers, they are working.  When you hear the magic question “What questions do you have for me?”, they are ready to relax.  This is a golden opportunity that most interviewees squander. 

Biggest DON’T:  Do not ask about hours, benefits, vacations, all the “What’s in it for me?” questions.  There will be time to get these answered when the offer is being extended. 

Employers do expect and value when you ask questions – it demonstrates genuine interest, so you do want to have a few serious questions ready.  You can perhaps ask about things that came up during the interview, and stay mostly focused on clarifying anything you need to understand about the company or the job requirements.

When you are talking to the hiring manager (the person who would be your boss), the most valuable thing you can do at this golden moment is capitalize on the interviewer’s relaxed state to create a bond AND cement your value to the employer, by showing them why you care about them, and about getting them the solution they need in this hire.  Ask:  “What keeps you up at night?”, or “What problems really get solved when the right person is hired for this position?”, or, “What gets better for you professionally when you bring in the right person for this?”

You may find that the interviewer lets down their guard, and really shares something meaningful.  Be sure to respond with an empathetic, solution-focused statement that further illustrates why you are the answer to their needs.  When you leave, the interviewer will say to themselves, “Wow, that candidate really GETS it!”  This favorable emotional response will help ensure you will get the offer.

Mark Bergman

• Options
    I hate the "weakness" question.  I always never say the right thing.
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Same guy as above wrote this one and I thought it was really good:

It is natural for a job seeker to be nervous in an interview.  We are at our most vulnerable when something is at stake personally (getting or not getting the job).  A key mistake made by many candidates is saying TOO MUCH when being concise would be better.  Candidates are good at starting stories and continuing stories, but not always so good at wrapping up stories and making a point.

A good business story told in an interview is like any good story:  It holds the listener’s interest, it has a story “arc” (a beginning, a middle and an end), and it makes a point. 

Construct your business stories with 3 parts: Situation, action, results.  Tell your story in 7 sentences – 2 for the situation, 3 for your actions, 2 for the results.  This will keep your story concise – less than a minute in length – and will keep the listener interested.

Rehearse your stories in advance, so you can tell them smoothly and articulately, while sounding natural.

Whatever you do, know when to stop!  I have often found that the last two sentences tacked on to a story by a nervous candidate who didn’t think through the story in advance, are what gets that candidate in trouble.  Don’t over-explain and add parts to the story that don’t enhance your portrayal of your skills, or don’t align with the needs for the position.

There are lots of other times to be concise in an interview too.  When discussing troublesome job changes, your openness to travel or relocation, compensation requirements, and other sensitive issues, brief is better. 

Keep in mind that most executive interviewers are low-data-users.  They make decisions based on less information than you might think.  Align with the way they process info, and make a long story short.

• Options
    Yay interview!

I'm just going to go with Cew on this one. She's the interview queen.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Cew, you are a freaking GOD. I love you. Seriously. This is amazing. Thank you. I already feel better.

I know I'm good at what I do. I've streamlined and made more efficient, every office I've worked in, so I'm confident in my abilities.

I just really need the job, so I think that makes me more nervous.

• Options
    Don't be nervous. You've got this. They would be idiots and complete assholes not to hire you. Keep me posted!
  • Options

Thank you! I will. :)

• Options

Cew, that's great information. I have an interview on Monday for a supervisor position here so I'm going to use some of that to formulate my own questions for my panel interview.

And yes, CCF, I was totally lurking on your thread for answers to my own questions :)

• Options
    Good luck with your interview, Sesh! Is it with the company you work for now?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards