Wedding Etiquette Forum

FSA spending

I have some FSA money left and am putting together an order at drugstore.com to use up a chunk of it.  I posted on 2nd Tri on TB too, regarding what to buy for baby squirrel, but I'm open to suggestions across the board.  What would you get?
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: FSA spending

• I would suggest one of those exergen thermometers.  We use those at work and they are awesome.  
    Photobucket
  • my daughter loved this giraffe and it's sold a lot of places:

http://www.bynature.ca/sophie-giraffe-toy.html

also, teddy blankies like this are great for LOs because they're easy to hold and very comforting

http://www.letsbuyit.co.uk/product/27075084/blankets/kids-line-katie-little-teddy-bear-security-blanket-ecru

if i were buying stuff for myself, i would probably buy a new hair dryer, and other hair accessories.. and maybe some make-up
    Photobucket
  • M asked me if I need anything because they had almost $2000 left over. Her H's company funds it for them every year.

She bought new designer sunglasses for herself and her MIL (I just bought some, damn!)

She got me a few boxes of Aleve, prenatals (great for hair & nails), large bandages for after my hip surgery, 4 boxes and they're very expensive, cough medicine, one bottle and a box of the one does "sips".

She also stocked up on baby OTC meds, but I don't remember what the were.
  • I don't have kids, but I buy a boppy for every shower I go to. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • elaborating on what oot said...

baby otc meds that are useful:

gripe water
    baby tylenol
    baby advil (depending on the situation you can mix advil and tylenol, always ask doc first)
    saline nose spray
    diaper rash cream

and not meds but useful that you might find at a drug store:

baby nail clippers
    baby nose cleaner thingy (looks like a bulb)
    thermometer (already mentioned)

Photobucket
  • I'm not a mom, but I ditto everything Xyrius said.  Get lots and lots of baby Tylenol/Advil.  Very useful during teething and every virus that'll eventually hit baby Squirrly.

Oh, and the nurses with whom I work really like Desitin cream for diaper rash.

Prenatal vitamins for you?  If you plan on nursing, you should continue taking them after baby is born.
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Gripe Water, Gas Drops, Aquaphor ointment, baby tylenol

I can't think of anything else, but we did the same, just with more grown up meds. If this one doesn't stick we have plenty of babies to pass the baby stuff too. You can also use it for vitamins, so if you need more prenatals or DHA, or plan to continue them after delivery, you can stock up now!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fsa-spending?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:bb2aff61-b60d-4501-9cac-cdd2c6bc09a9Post:fb51abdd-f580-49b8-893d-422bbc0d45da">Re: FSA spending</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, xyrius, <strong>it has to be medical related to qualify</strong> (weird IRS rules).  I can hold the money through March for contacts for H, but any OTC medicines have to be bought today.  Wacky. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

My bad.  I looked on the website and they had it, so I thought it would work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I can't get Vitamins through my FSA unless they are a prescription so be careful to check on that.  Other items that might be helpful (some have already been suggested) are vaseline, diaper rash ointment, pain relievers, bandages, suncreen (30+ SPF), teething pain reliever, and hand sanitizer.  I think you can even claim mileage to/from your doctor visits as reimburseable.

Also, childbirth classes are covered if you are already doing them. 

• Guess who posted in my thread on TB?  TJ!  Awesome. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • What the eff is Gripe water?  I totally thought xyrius had misspelled grape at first. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• My SIL was using a product called Butt Paste on niece this past weekend. She uses it as a substitute for baby powder. They were also using Baby Tylenol a lot since she was teething and actaully wanted Baby Benedryl, but didn't have any.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fsa-spending?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bb2aff61-b60d-4501-9cac-cdd2c6bc09a9Post:eaefbbfe-cab9-454b-9d0e-1512b2a4e8d4">Re: FSA spending</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guess who posted in my thread on TB?  TJ!  Awesome. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]
    sweet!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Baby Tylenol, Baby Vicks, Desitin, Vaseline, Baby Q-Tips.  Is a Breast Pump reimbursable?
  • Xyrius, threadjack, but is Amy holding your purse in that picture? If so, I think I might have the same purse. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Definitely stock up on the OTC stuff because it's not covered in 2011 except with a prescription from your doctor. (For you guys and the baby)
  • I'm pretty sure that baby diapers aren't covered.  The IRS website has a whole list of covered items including a pregnancy test.
  • Not sure if this is an option because I have to admit I'd don't know what FSA is but when my children were babies I had a natural sunlight lamp in the nursery, it looks like a dome and replicates natural light and apparently helps with sleep/waking patterns, you can now get them with iPod docks and clocks etc. I spent a lot of time in the nursery as well so it was nice for me too. Very calming
  • An FSA is a savings account that has strict tax rules about what you can use it on, but it lets you use pre-tax dollars for medical expenses, essentially.  Diapers count ONLY IF you need them due to a disease or illness.  Youth or old age don't count. 

Based on stuff here and my TB post, I came up with this list:

Triaminic - Infants' Drops Fever Reducer/Pain Reliever, Cherry - .5 fl oz
    PediaCare Infant's Fever Reducer/Pain Reliever Drops, Cherry   
    Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer   
    Children's Advil Infant's Advil Concentrated Drops, Fever, White Grape   
    The First Years American Red Cross, Digital Pacifier Thermometer   
    Orajel - Baby SmartDose Teething Gel   
    Lansinoh Soothies Gel Pads   
    Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream, Fragrance Free   
    Orajel - Baby Teething Swabs, Berry   
    Eucerin Calming Itch-Relief Treatment External Analgesic Lotion   
    Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers   
    Burt's Bees Baby Bee Diaper Ointment   
    Rite Aid Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70%   
    Baby's Bliss Gripe Water Liquid, Apple   
    Johnson's Baby Pure Cornstarch Powder, Aloe & Vitamin E   
    Orajel Baby Tooth/Gum Cleanser, Apple Banana   
    Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream   
    Munchkin The Medicator   
    Vicks BabyRub Soothing Vapor Ointment   
    Rite Aid Sterile Cotton Balls   
    Tucks Medicated Hemorrhoid Cooling Pads   
    Desitin Rapid Relief Diaper Rash Ointment, Creamy    Desitin
    Desitin Diaper Rash Ointment, Original   
    Vaseline Baby, Baby Fresh Scent   
    Little Noses Saline Spray/Drops, Non-Medicated   
    Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula, Nursing Cream with Pure Cocoa Butter & Pro Vitamin B5   
    Pedialyte Oral Electrolyte Maintenance Powder, Variety Pack   
    One-A-Day Women's Prenatal 30ct+30ct   
    Aquaphor Baby To-Go Dual Pack   
    Mylicon Infants Gas Relief Drops, Non-Staining Formula   
    Concentrated Tylenol Infants' Drops, Cherry   
    Infants' Motrin Ibuprofen Oral Suspension, Concentrated Drops, Dye-Free Berry Flavored Drops   
    Children's Benadryl D Allergy & Sinus Liquid Medication, Grape   
    Mabis Graco Nasal Clear Nasal Aspirator   

Ya know, if anybody is interested.  :D  (Yes, there's overlap.  Experiment with varieties/brands and also have one for home and one for travel, and probably one for MIL's house on some things.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• good list!  orajel and pedialyte are smart choices too  :)  pedialyte has to be used within 24 hours of opening, or 48 hours if it has a cap.. so it's wise to stock up on that stuff... amy just had a flu and we had to buy a bit of it

or you can buy the popsicle versions
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards