Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Non-Traditional Wedding Food -- Ideas??

So FI and I are having an outdoor country/hunter's wedding.  Our colors are mossy oak camo and orange.  We are having our ceremony and reception at a great outdoor barn with the ceremony being held outside.  Since we want to stick with our theme of the outdoors type stuff we want to have non-traditional wedding food.  We are thinking more along the lines of hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, lots of cold salads, etc.  Like picnic style food.  I got this idea from one of the wedding shows on TLC, and want to do this at our wedding!

Has anyone ever been to a wedding that had this??  & What did you think about it?

Re: Non-Traditional Wedding Food -- Ideas??

• When I hear hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, etc. that makes me think of a cook out, not hunting so I'm not sure how well the theme would flow, especially as you're specifically using mossy oak camo as one of your colors.  The only way I could think of it working is if the hot dogs and hamburgers were made of wild game meats.

Does your FI hunt?  If so, you could serve wild game (deer, rabbit, pheasant, duck, etc.) and local fish in some form (heck, I *love* native trout), it would work very well with the theme (and if he and other family members caught it, be very cost effective too)!  Plus I know if my FI *actually* got a deer, he would be super proud to have people eating it, he would make sure to let everyone know that the venison they're eating is from *his* deer, haha.  It would certainly be easier to get if someone in the family hunts though, as I'm not sure of the availability of wild game for purchase near you.

Hope this is helpful!  Congratulations and best of luck with the wedding.

• I think your food sounds fine.  It is appropriate for the vibe of your wedding and should fit in well.  I would enjoy that menu a lot!
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    To me, this seems more like a lunch menu at an extremely casual wedding than it does a dinner.  If that's the case for you, then I think this is fine.  If it's dinner and/or you want a more formal event, I think you need something more formal.
  • Not very formal, but if that's ok with you, go for it.  However, like PP, when I first read your post, I was thinking of game and fish.
  • CSK4CSK4 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    are you woking with a caterer or are you cooking everything yourself. I am having a carnival wedding and the cater were going with has a hambuger and hot dog bar with a salmon burger and venison hot dog. You could look into using game instead of just beef and pork.
  • How about a pig roast?
    May 2013 August Siggy: Hair Inspiration
  • What about
    Mac and Cheese
    Pasta Salad
    Veggie Tray
    Cheese Platter
    Kilbasa kababs
    Fruit
    Twice Baked Potatoes
    Tossed Salad
    Watermelon
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_non-traditional-wedding-food-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:00e65424-72ad-48db-b380-02602c3c7aa4Post:23030db5-8d49-4edf-b359-c4b3af712729">Non-Traditional Wedding Food -- Ideas??</a>:
    [QUOTE]So FI and I are having an outdoor country/hunter's wedding.  Our colors are mossy oak camo and orange.  We are having our ceremony and reception at a great outdoor barn with the ceremony being held outside.  Since we want to stick with our theme of the outdoors type stuff we want to have non-traditional wedding food.  We are thinking more along the lines of hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, lots of cold salads, etc.  Like picnic style food.  I got this idea from one of the wedding shows on TLC, and want to do this at our wedding! Has anyone ever been to a wedding that had this??  & What did you think about it?
    Posted by KAWalker11[/QUOTE]
    We went to  an outdoor wedding with a hunting theme. Both the bride and groom are hunters. They served bbq, chicken wings, cole slaw, beans, etc. The cake resembled a tree with their initials cut in it. They also served mini pies. Appetizers were just cheese and crackers. The main table had the cutest centerpiece. It was two deer with one of them wearing a veil, and the other a hunting vest. Good luck. Sounds like a fun wedding either way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards