Not Engaged Yet

Small Rant...sorry in advance!!

You know what drives me nuts....that one of the biggest decisions of your life isnt even really in your hands. I mean, we can talk timelines, futures, etc with the SOs...but the proposal is really their thing. Which means many times waiting for them to get off their lazy butts and making it happen. Whether that means waiting for THEM to be ready, or hoping the proposal isnt on the jumbotron at a ballgame (sorry if thats anyones dream!! Not trying to offend). This Type A girl is ready for lazy Type Z BF to make a move!!

Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!

• My mom proposed to my step-dad... twice.  Now this might not be the best example, because her turned her down.  However, they kept talking and decided to get married after all.  I am not going into the details of what might have been at issue there, just that the timing wasn't right for him.

My SO told me a few times, when I had ants in my pants, that I could always propose to him.  The fact of the matter is, I wanted to be asked.  Therefore, I chose to wait until he was ready.  I guess that is the point, both parties need to feel ready.  Maybe you are ready, but your "lazy" BF is still working up to being ready to take that step.

• Wait...  what year is this again?  1932?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:ed0c2360-48a6-4d8f-b888-82fae1f7c832">Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait...  what year is this again?  1932?
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>LOL!  A much more, concise and direct response.  :)</div>

• Why don't you just ask him?
    I mean, if you want him to ask you, then wait.
    But proposals don't have to be all dependant on him asking.

Waiting does suck. I'm pretty patient, but even I get restless on long lines. So just think about other things in the meantime and just enjoy what ever your relationship status is now. Otherwise, take the initiative.

The only think that bothers me about the jumbotron proposal is that I'm way to shy for something like that, even if the comments are positive. Usually they're negative, at least at the games I go to. They boo and yell "Say no!"

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:ed0c2360-48a6-4d8f-b888-82fae1f7c832">Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait...  what year is this again?  1932?

Yeah, Im traditional...sue me ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:d4c4d1f0-cdaa-4cba-8f1d-fc4fd5abc145">Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know what drives me nuts....that one of the biggest decisions of your life isnt even really in your hands. I mean, we can talk timelines, futures, etc with the SOs...but the proposal is really their thing. Which means many times waiting for them to get off their lazy butts and making it happen. Whether that means waiting for THEM to be ready, or hoping the proposal isnt on the jumbotron at a ballgame (sorry if thats anyones dream!! Not trying to offend). This Type A girl is ready for lazy Type Z BF to make a move!!
    Posted by iwantcake[/QUOTE]

I can't say I haven't felt some of this... but really when you think about it... You COULD propose to him, if you are so sure you should be getting married. And if he is really "lazy" as you say he is... is he the one you want to marry?

I've been married for only a few months, we were engaged for a about a year before that, and I now think back to the time when I was wishing and wanting him to propose... And I'm sure I wasted too much brain power wanting it. Wanting to be "getting married." I had no power in making it happen, other than being a good partner. It happened when the two of us were ready, that is how it felt. I had found NEY and let go and was living in the now and BOOM! EngagedMarried. I'm on the other side.

Now I think about how getting pregnant is similar... Maybe a bit more on me, than him...? and I dunno what exactly I want to do with it. Am I ready to be a mom? To be pregnant? Will I <em>ever</em> feel ready?

I want to rant about stupid peope not telling exactly what I need to bring to change my name in stupid places. Why can't everyone accept the same goddamn paperwork? OR tell me ahead of time.
  • Would you rather he rush and be uncomfortable? Our dating phase seemed to stretch forever, but he waited until the perfect time and now we're both excited instead of me being the only one, heh.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:df81c169-121f-417a-ae57-4a74fbc374f2">Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : Yeah, Im traditional...sue me ;)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be proposed to.  I get it.  I wanted it, too.  I just find your rant a little off-putting because of the implicit suggestion that women <em>have </em>to wait for the man to do the asking.  That's just not true.  If it's really bothering you that much, you have to decide which idea displeases you the most:  the idea of waiting or the idea of putting on a pair of pants and asking him.  If you choose the former, well, that's your choice.  Nobody is inflicting it on you.
  • Survey says: Ask him. It is 2012. Nearly the end of the world. Do it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:350d7f67-4527-4247-a1aa-31508be24453">Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why don't you just ask him? I mean, if you want him to ask you, then wait. But proposals don't have to be all dependant on him asking. Waiting does suck. I'm pretty patient, but even I get restless on long lines. So just think about other things in the meantime and just enjoy what ever your relationship status is now. Otherwise, take the initiative. The only think that bothers me about the jumbotron proposal is that I'm way to shy for something like that, even if the comments are positive. Usually they're negative, at least at the games I go to. They boo and yell "Say no!"
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

Im not saying Im not being patient...believe me, I could win an award. Just saying that its such  an important step, it just sucks that as women we cant be more involved. And sure there is always the option to do the proposing but I am not that girl. Not sure most girls are, regardless of what they may say on a board
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:8efa48f4-8032-444e-b4cf-caf90cd64b42">Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Survey says: Ask him. It is 2012. Nearly the end of the world. Do it.
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

Ha.  This is true.  You only have a month left.  Ask him!
  • I would have never ever proposed.

You have to let it go. You have to want to be with him as you are. Once you two are on the same page, it'll happen.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:cae2e47e-f7e9-4993-8364-646cdab26ca3">Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would you rather he rush and be uncomfortable? Our dating phase seemed to stretch forever, but he waited until the perfect time and now we're both excited instead of me being the only one, heh.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

SQUEE!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:64d710a6-dbed-41b6-98c1-14af4d351b94">Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : Ha.  This is true.  You only have a month left.  Ask him!

I cannot plan a wedding in a month....guess Ill just have to wait to see if he proposes after the apocalypse!!
    Thanks ladies...just needed a moment to vent!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:bbebe185-21fe-4864-8aa9-ffb1553e4f8a">Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : Im not saying Im not being patient...believe me, I could win an award. Just saying that its such  an important step, it just sucks that as women we cant be more involved. And sure there is always the option to do the proposing but I am not that girl. Not sure most girls are, regardless of what they may say on a board
    I totally get wanting to be the one proposed to, but I'm not sure saying that "as women we can't be more involved" is going to be productive. We can be more involved. You can be, but you choose not to be. Which is absolutely fine and vent away lol.

Look at it this way... waiting to be proposed to is a choice, not something that is inflicted upon us as a gender. I mean, society certainly has us thinking that, but it doesn't have to be that way. It's not like we "can't" be more involved.
    Most girls on this board (just from what I have observed) was asked and did not do the asking. But that was their choice, not a fate they accepted.
  • In Response to Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!!:In Response to Re: Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : Ha.nbsp; This is true.nbsp; You only have a month left.nbsp; Ask him!Posted by Elle1036I cannot plan a wedding in a month....guess Ill just have to wait to see if he proposes after the apocalypse!!Thanks ladies...just needed a moment to vent! Posted by iwantcake[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, this is how relationships are. You are two different people. There will be many times over the course of your relationship where you aren't in the same 'place.' After marriage, there's kids. Are you going to think he's 'lazy' if he doesn't want them at the same time you do? I know it sucks, I've been there, but what bugs me about your post is how disrespectful you are of HIS feelings, heck, of him in general.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• I agree with most of the PP. I've had the same thoughts you're having before - but after a second they go away because I know that a proposal COULD be entirely within my control excpet for the fact that...I don't want it to be! Just like I will eventually be the one wearing the dress, and probably making most of the plans, this is HIS part of the whole thing, and I would NEVER want to take that away from him. If you're that impatient, you can ask him - but since that's not what you want, you have no other choice than to wait it out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:4bb9a9b9-863b-41e1-a823-cd770c31a2e1">Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!: Just so you know, this is how relationships are. You are two different people. There will be many times over the course of your relationship where you aren't in the same 'place.' After marriage, there's kids. Are you going to think he's 'lazy' if he doesn't want them at the same time you do? I know it sucks, I've been there, but what bugs me about your post is how disrespectful you are of HIS feelings, heck, of him in general.
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

I think its pretty odd to say Im being DISRESPECTFUL of his feelings....all I was trying to convey is that so much is in the guys hands with this step...Thats all. You took it WAY too far...Not bugging him to make a decision he might not be ready for (as many women would) is being totally respectful IMO.

In general, I think most of you took my post in the totally wrong way. Just saying its such a huge decision, that it sucks it cant always be more of an open one. Sure, you can discuss timelines and such, but in my case atleast, the actual proposal is up to him (for various reasons including finances and my own preference NOT to be totally included). Just saying that normally with such HUGE decisions, Im the one used to making the calls....and it sucks to let that control go.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:96b651c2-9c18-4a44-be01-5cc9b27ffb81">Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : I think its pretty odd to say Im being DISRESPECTFUL of his feelings....all I was trying to convey is that so much is in the guys hands with this step...Thats all. You took it WAY too far...Not bugging him to make a decision he might not be ready for (as many women would) is being totally respectful IMO. In general, I think most of you took my post in the totally wrong way. <strong>Just saying its such a huge decision, that it sucks it cant always be more of an open one</strong>. Sure, you can discuss timelines and such, but in my case atleast, the actual proposal is up to him (for various reasons including finances and my own preference NOT to be totally included). Just saying that normally with such HUGE decisions, Im the one used to making the calls....and it sucks to let that control go.
    Posted by iwantcake[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You're making absolutely no sense.  Getting engaged shouldn't be this huge stress on your life.  It's supposed to be happy.  And if you're ready and he's not, or you just think he's lazy, maybe you should be rethinking your relationship.  It is incredibly disrespectful to your SO to walk up to a group of internet strangers and start complaining about how you're ready to be engaged rightthissecond, but he's too lazy to do it.
    <div><div>
    </div></div></div>
    I french with my man
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:96b651c2-9c18-4a44-be01-5cc9b27ffb81">Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : <strong> I think its pretty odd to say Im being DISRESPECTFUL of his feelings</strong>....all I was trying to convey is that so much is in the guys hands with this step...Thats all. You took it WAY too far...Not bugging him to make a decision he might not be ready for (as many women would) is being totally respectful IMO. In general, I think most of you took my post in the totally wrong way. Just saying <strong>its such a huge decision</strong>, that it sucks it cant always be more of an open one. Sure, you can discuss timelines and such, but in my case atleast, the actual proposal is up to him (for various reasons including finances and my own preference NOT to be totally included). Just saying that normally with such HUGE decisions, Im the one used to making the calls....and it sucks to let that control go.

Well you didn't say anything positive about him, you just called him lazy. I wouldn't bash my BF like that to board of strangers.

And yes it is a huge decision to get married. But you are very much a part of that decision. No one is forcing you to say yes or no and I assume that you've both agreed on a general timeline for getting married so you were a part of that decision. The proposal is an exciting, special moment but it isn't the entirety of the decision.

[QUOTE].all I was trying to convey is that so much is in the guys hands with this step.

It's in both of your hands equally.  The proposal is just a formality, since most couples make the decision together to actually get engaged before he actually pops the question.  It's not always the female half of a couple that is ready to get married first- you could just as easily say no to his proposal as he could wait to give you the ring.  Gay couples also experience the problem of one person being ready for marriage sooner than the other, so it has nothing to do with gender.  Regardless of who makes the big show out of proposing, the fact is that in a healthy relationship, an engagement and marriage happen when both people are ready for it, so it's just not accurate to say that one person holds more power in the decision than the other.
  • Oh, and if it really drives you nuts that a huge decision that involves two people actually involves two people and you can't just plow ahead with whatever you want to do, you might want to rethink marriage altogether.
  • Hey renegade, where in Mississippi are you?
  • You can be as involved or not involved as you want to be. I assume you two have had a discussion about a timeline for engagement/marriage. If not, do that, so you have some sort of idea where he stands. If you're dead set against proposing to him (which I understand completely, it's not for me, either), than yes, you are just going to have to be patient and wait for him to be ready to take that step. However, that doesn't mean you can't be involved. 

When the time comes, many people are very involved in choosing their ring. I also can guarantee you my BF has a pretty good idea of how I'd like to be proposed to. There's nothing wrong with saying "Oh man, I don't think I'd like to be the center of attention like that" when some girl is proposed to on the jumbotron at a baseball game, or "that is so sweet and personal" when a friend gets proposed to in a sweet way. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:6aa77252-ff8b-4e0e-976f-8b08e0c039d8">Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : Well you didn't say anything positive about him, you just called him lazy. I wouldn't bash my BF like that to board of strangers. And yes it is a huge decision to get married. But you are very much a part of that decision. No one is forcing you to say yes or no and I assume that you've both agreed on a general timeline for getting married so you were a part of that decision. The proposal is an exciting, special moment but it isn't the entirety of the decision.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Ok, would you like some positives? SO is gorgeous, smart, witty, athletic. He makes me laugh all the time. Is he slightly lazy...hell yeah. And he would agree. Thats barely "bashing"....guessing your relationship is all butterflies and unicorns and you have not one bad word about eachother.???
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:0e8cb8ba-eb63-4676-9119-16124a4a9633">Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : Ok, would you like some positives? SO is gorgeous, smart, witty, athletic. He makes me laugh all the time. Is he slightly lazy...hell yeah. And he would agree. Thats barely "bashing"....guessing your relationship is all butterflies and unicorns and you have not one bad word about eachother.???

<div>Coming on to a group of people you don't know and talking about the fact that you're frustrated because he's lazy = bashing.  Does my BF piss me off occasionally?  Yep.  Would I walk into a group of strangers and say "OMG I wish he would propose already but he's too lazy to do it"?  Hell to the farking no.</div>
    I french with my man
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:0e8cb8ba-eb63-4676-9119-16124a4a9633">Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : Ok, would you like some positives? SO is gorgeous, smart, witty, athletic. He makes me laugh all the time. Is he slightly lazy...hell yeah. And he would agree. Thats barely "bashing"....guessing your relationship is all butterflies and unicorns and you have not one bad word about eachother.???

My relationship is not "all butterflies and unicorns" and I don't think my BF is perfect. He has flaws, so I do, and so does everybody else. However, recognizing those flaws and making our relationship work despite them is completely different than me complaining to a bunch of people that he hasn't proposed because he is so lazy.

And no, I don't say bad things about my BF to other people because it disrespectful to him. Also, other people don't forgive your SOs flaws as well as you might so it's best not to discuss them with others (IMO).

Also, how old are you because you're coming off as extremely immature.

<div>
    </div><div>Girlfriend, you need to take it down a notch. Perhaps go back to lurking so you can better understand how things work around here or (as I said in the other thread that you lost it on) run off to WeddingBee. </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_small-rantsorry-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dd969a26-9395-4ff6-b487-d0beb6ca5661Post:ef7cd058-de35-4045-b484-e41fe9be0409">Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Small Rant...sorry in advance!! : My relationship is not "all butterflies and unicorns" and I don't think my BF is perfect. He has flaws, so I do, and so does everybody else. However, recognizing those flaws and making our relationship work despite them is completely different than me complaining to a bunch of people that he hasn't proposed because he is so lazy. And no, I don't say bad things about my BF to other people because it disrespectful to him. Also, other people don't forgive your SOs flaws as well as you might so it's best not to discuss them with others (IMO). Also, how old are you because you're coming off as extremely immature.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

<div>Beth, she's 31:</div><div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_new-herehi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f3db0669-6ce7-433f-863e-49ba94c8e26ePost:9a7081c3-e944-4d52-b6bc-3af4cbb0e60f">New here...hi!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Screen Name: iwantcake Age: 31 Significant Other's Age: 37 What You Do: production for a popular clothing store What SO Does: PE teacher State of Relationship: Not yet engaged or living together, but talking about the future. Moving in together next year How Long You've Been Together: Two years in Feb How You Met: At the gym!! Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): Who knows!! Real Babies: 0 Fur Babies: Two very sweet lil cats Loves: Fashion, Downton Abby, the Steelers, hanging out with honey :) Hates: Snakes, sharks and people that dont thank you when you hold a door open for them Pet Peeves: People that wear socks with sandals Hobbies/Activities: Reading, shopping Favorite Thing About Your SO: Makes me feel special!! Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: HE IS A SLOB!!!! Describe Your Personality: Pretty easy going, but can definetely get worked up in no time flat. Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): Just quit another board that bans for snark so always tried to reel myself in. I give myself a 3 I've Been On TK Since: TODAY!! How You Came to Be On TK: Heard great thngs about the community so thought would give it a go. How I like my potatoes: Sweet Favorite book/author: To Kill a Mockingbird and Valley of the Dolls. Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: After 8 years in the Big Apply had my 1st celeb sighting the other day-- MR BIG!!
    </div>

• She and I are apparently friends off anyways because she hates my favorite animal.

Baby blacktip just wants to be loved!!!!!
    I french with my man
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards