Attire & Accessories Forum

Too many earrings

Okay, here's the thing...I have multiple piercings in both my ears. In my right ear, I have three holes in my earlobe and one in my cartilage, in my left ear I have two holes in my earlobe and my tragus(middle part of your ear). I never take my cartilage or my tragus piercings out because they're too hard to put back in, and when deciding on my jewelry for my wedding I've decided to wear Swarovski jewelry that my mom's cousin made me, that includes a pair of beautiful dangle earrings, and I wanted to wear the diamond studs my deceased great aunt gave me in my second holes. This being decided, I don't want to limit my bm's(all of which have multiple piercings also) to one pair. Is it ok for me to ask them to wear cz studs in any additional holes if I offer to provide them for them? Thanks!

Re: Too many earrings

• Honestly, I would hate to change my earrings- not sure how many piercings your bridesmaids have but I have nineteen total in my ears. Depending on the size of your chosen studs and spacing between piercings, they may not look great. I personally prefer small hoops in the majority of mine because it looks less crowded. Also consider any sort of metal sensitivities they could have- last thing you want is someone in your wedding party suffering from swollen, red, painful ears! 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would probably let them wear their own jewelry other than (maybe) their first hole in the earlobes. Like you said about your own piercings, some of them might be hard to switch out. I also have my cartilage and tragus pierced and I still have the original piercings in.
  • Three of my girls have the same number of piercings in their earlobes as I do, two have only two holes. I thought simple colorless stone studs would be a nice way for everyone to look similarly and everyone be able to still wear multiple earrings. I forgot to clarify that the studs would only be recommended for any holes, after the first, in their earlobes. I have trapped ball rings in my cartilage and tragus and never remove either of them, so of course I won't ask my bm's to remove theirs either. I am also not asking two of them to remove nose rings, however I have am considering asking that a colorless stone stud be worn there, and none of us are covering our tattoos. In fact my MOH is my little sister and we have matching tattoos. Thanks again!
  • Let them wear their own jewelry. I have 9 total ear piercings and it's not possible to change them all - especially my 2 tragus piercings.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not to thread hijack but just curious about the other brides- why are your tragus/cartilage piercings so hard to change out?? For me, it's more of a symmetry thing- kind of hard to find multiple matching jewelry of the right size (same reason I couldn't do a side split or off-center draping on my gown!) than an actual physical difficulty thing- I dunno, I'd find myself kind of worried if I couldn't get my jewelry out! 

OP, it sounds like you know your BMs and I think if none of them mind and the added expense of the jewelry is no biggie for your budget and it will make you feel better in terms of matching, then it doesn't sound like a terrible idea. I think your jewelry sounds pretty unobtrusive and while I wouldn't do it, after remembering my own symmetry quirks, it is probably an idea that can be done with little drama.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_many-earrings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:e602695d-d7b1-40b4-8b6c-4373398fc7b0Post:54766239-0471-4c22-bedd-f11fc019a74d">Re: Too many earrings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not to thread hijack but just curious about the other brides- why are your tragus/cartilage piercings so hard to change out?? For me, it's more of a symmetry thing- kind of hard to find multiple matching jewelry of the right size (same reason I couldn't do a side split or off-center draping on my gown!) than an actual physical difficulty thing- I dunno, I'd find myself kind of worried if I couldn't get my jewelry out!  OP, it sounds like you know your BMs and I think if none of them mind and the added expense of the jewelry is no biggie for your budget and it will make you feel better in terms of matching, then it doesn't sound like a terrible idea. I think your jewelry sounds pretty unobtrusive and while I wouldn't do it, after remembering my own symmetry quirks, it is probably an idea that can be done with little drama.
    Posted by random4180[/QUOTE]

Well the tragus is the small round part of the ear so many people have tension bead hoops which can only be removed with a plier.  I have regular earrings in mine but it's really difficult to get the backs on because the area is so small and my fingers are so big.  I've had them for 11 years and have changed them like 5 times because it can take hours of luck to get them on right.  I actually just changed them last week because FI got me pink diamond studs for them.  I'll be rocking them for the next few years.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, it was a nice thought to provide the CZ studs for them, but it might just be easier to let them wear their own.  Maybe ask them if they have something similar they can wear in the piercings they can change?  Otherwise, I know if I was your BM you'd need to buy me gold (and not plated) earrings since I can't seem to wear anything else without getting an allergic reaction =]
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I agree with the PP and let them wear their own. I have 2 holes on each lobe & 1 cartilage piercing that was nearly impossible to get out the other day. I wear the same stud that was used to pierce me years ago! I got a cute tiny pearl to go there for my wedding & almost made my fingers bleed in trying to switch it out. Some things just aren't worth it.
  • You can suggest that you prefer if they'd wear something simple and colorless -- like a CZ stone (they can choose the size), and that you'd help purchase them if necessary.  If you have girls that are really resistant to that idea, then let them wear their own.  LIke PP have said, not many people will be concentrating on whats in their ears. =)
  • wow, sounds painful!  I feel really lucky mine are so easy to switch jewelry on, I like changing out my industrial whenever I want. I can imagine that tragus, anti-tragus, or rook piercings could be a pain if you use tiny jewelry or have some serious tension rings. 
  • Thank you all for all your comments and suggestions. I am taking them all into consideration and feel this will just be a casual discussion for me and my girls. I have no problem spending a little extra money on them if need be, so I'll see what they have to say about it. I think if this is our biggest problem, considering what some people go through, I'll take it any day. My bm are my two little sisters, one of my cousins, my fsil, and a good friend I used to work with, and I'm sure they'll do whatever would be best for my special day, just like I'll do for theirs in the future. :) Thank again ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards