Not Engaged Yet

Alaskan Cruise

Just wondering if any of you have taken one?  FI & I were watching the travel channel over the weekend and seen a show about one - we both thought it would be such a fun vacation. 

Actually, during the show FI asked if we could scrap the Colorado thing, elope down here and go on a cruise.  I have to be honest, I'm starting to really like that idea because neither of us have ever been on a cruise, let alone an Alaskan one.  Hmmmm....!

Re: Alaskan Cruise

• tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've always wanted to go on one ! Alaska looks amazing and I've never been on a cruise either. That was our iriginal honeymoon plan for next year , so I'd love to hear some input as well. Great thing about eloping Jeter is you can do whatever you both want! I'm so happy for you , You both are so cute !
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That could be SO fun and different!!

Brian has been begging me to go on an Alaskan cruise for years. Instead I took him to an IMAX movie of Alaska - Muahaha
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_alaskan-cruise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b5c2e8b2-fa23-45ad-b6a4-5a3475d9f6e6Post:be613d36-02ec-4c1c-aa20-cba2c7ce882a">Re: Alaskan Cruise</a>:
    [QUOTE]That could be SO fun and different!! Brian has been begging me to go on an Alaskan cruise for years. Instead I took him to an IMAX movie of Alaska - Muahaha
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]
    ROFL totally the same thing.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Be warned ladies - Alaska is cold...like Canada;)

That's all I've got. Never been on a cruise.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I'm the type of person who would enjoy a cruise (too crowded, I like to keep to myself) BUT if I was going to go on one it would definitely be to Alaska or Norway.  Something like that.  Every time I see pictures or shows about these cruises they look so beautiful!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents went on an Alaskan cruise and they loved it, but they do the cruise thing alot.
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I seriously considered an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon, but ultimately decided we preferred to do something that would enable us to have space and privacy after the wedding.

We do still really want to go on one someday. Alaska sounds amazing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    I have never done an alaskan cruise, however, my aunt and uncle own a bed and breakfast in alaska and I spend a month with them it was amazing!! I would go there again in a heatbeat. BF and I are planning on going up there next summer maybe to do some salmon fishing. Alaska really is pretty, I would go in July if I was you, I was there part of July through the end of August and it was getting pretty chilly there when I left and snowing in the mountains. My aunt said yesterday it was in the 70's and sunny, thats not too bad!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bajedivabajediva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_alaskan-cruise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b5c2e8b2-fa23-45ad-b6a4-5a3475d9f6e6Post:be613d36-02ec-4c1c-aa20-cba2c7ce882a">Re: Alaskan Cruise</a>:
    [QUOTE]That could be SO fun and different!! Brian has been begging me to go on an Alaskan cruise for years. Instead I took him to an IMAX movie of Alaska - Muahaha
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]
    Hahahaha....lovely.

I don't have anything constructive to contribute really, not being a cruise officionado, but I say if it appeals to you, do some research and seriously consider giving it a whirl - you're completely free to do what'll make you two happiest.

And how goes everything else? Apt search, job, etc.?
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and you can get married on all the cruise ships I have been on, or you can get married at one of the stops if you want to be really different I have seen that done too
  • edited December 2011
    tafft - Thanks!  I was thinking the same thing....Ahh the beauty of eloping :)

Kat - LOL!  I guess that's considered compromising...right?  IMAX is pretty cool!

Paige - I actually LOVE cold weather and everything to do with it.  That's the hardest thing about living in La - I am totally going to miss the snowy, cold winters. 
    chipy - Wow - a whole month at a B&B in Alaska sounds way too cool - what an experience!  And yes.. I've kinda checked into being married on the ship or at a stop, but the price is just ridiculous - I mean all we'd want is literally someone to marry us and snap a few photos and the cheapest "package" for that is like $900 which seems crazy to me...

baje - Things are still stressful with everything else - I'm getting really really stressed out about the whole job situation.  Today FI told some of the guys at work that we had thought about going back to Missouri and they all freaked out and started calling their connections to help find me a job because they don't want him to leave.  So, hopefully that helps me out a bit.  As far as the apt - we found out that we now don't HAVE to move, but we decided that once things get settled (me getting a job) then we're still going to find a different place to live. 
  • paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Alaska and I've been on a cruise, but not at the same time. I find the two concepts to be incongruous, but it depends on the type of trip you want, I guess. If I'm on a cruise, I want to sit it in the sun, drink something frozen and adult, and eat more than I should. If I'm in Alaska, I want to hike, bike, whatever. You can do day trips on most cruises but I'm not sure the Alaska ports are any good for outdoor activities - more like a few shops and restaurants, maybe some pretty scenery.

But if you want to see some beautiful scenery and maybe some good wildlife, drink and eat too much, an Alaskan cruise could be fun. In my mind it seems like a very passive vacation and I prefer a little more action. But if you're looking for solitude and R&R it could be great!
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jeter-- Will's parents are going on an Alaskan cruise in two months! They got some great deal on it. I can ask about it if you want. 

::small voice:: don't you want to be a quadie anymore??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think Alaska is amazing, but I hate cruising (too many people, not enough chances to be active outside a gym-type setting).  We took an Alaskan cruise and the shore excursions were so much fun!  Rafting, kayaking, flying into amazing remote places, great food- I just hated being on the ship.  A B&B might be more private for an elopement.
    imageimageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think it also depends on which cruise line you go on. I know some people that are taking an Alaskan cruise this summer on the Princess line. Which cruise line you choose can affect your shore excursions and what not.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, I think cruises are fantastic for anyone who wants to have everything at their fingertips, like great food (on some lines), shows, spa treatements, etc.  It's like a hotel with a changing view!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    TOTALLY agree. You definitely get more bang for your buck on a cruise, I think.
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_alaskan-cruise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b5c2e8b2-fa23-45ad-b6a4-5a3475d9f6e6Post:0e34d725-67f2-4e1c-9d28-83c9505d14e2">Re: Alaskan Cruise</a>:
    [QUOTE] ::small voice:: don't you want to be a quadie anymore??
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Haha! Awww, big hugs girlie.

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    paint - As much as I'd love to be able to go hiking and do the outdoorsy things - I have a feeling FI wants more of a sit back and relax and look at the scenery kind of vacation. 

hetshup - Yeah, see what cruise line they are going on - we've been looking at Norwegian Cruise Line. 
    Awwww, course I want to be a quadie!!  We aren't for sure changing plans - it was just a thought Wink
  • paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Nefarious had good input I think since she's actually been on one! I didn't realize the excursions gave you time to do cool stuff. Maybe it would be a good compromise - chill when you're on the boat, do more active things during the day.

Good luck Jeter! Glad to hear you don't have to move.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah - I seen that they have a lot of fun excursions when you're at different ports... I'm thinking it could be the best of both worlds...  We'll see though.
  • edited December 2011
    While I have never been on an alaskan cruise my parents were really into cruises for our vacations and the excursions were really fun! I mean we've always gone to foreign countries and sometimes in some pretty shady areas but I feel safer being with someone reputable at least. Im trying to get BF to go on a cruise, he thinks they are a waste of money but if you do the math for all the food you get plus the free shows its actually quite economical. IDK about cost for an alaskan cruise but a caribbean cruise to take this year is only about $400 per person for a week...thats a good deal to me!
  • edited December 2011
    I went on an Alaskan Cruise last May/June (2009) and I absolutely LOVED it. I am an outdoors-ey type person though but the people I went with were not really huge outdoors fans and do not like cold (from SoCal). We actually had record highs when we were there, in the mid 70's (the best time to go is the beginning of June) and it was warmer there than back at home (I am from the midwest). The scenery is simply amazing and pictures really do not do justice, it is even better than the best pictures out there. If anyone is even thinking about it, I would say go for it, it is at the top of my list for best vacations ever. IMO, a cruise is the way to do Alaska because so many amazing places are on islands and you cannot get there by car, so you would have to fly to all of those different places or go by boat, so the cruise is an excellent option if you are a person who enjoys cruises. The excursions are the best too! I recommend seeing the Mendenhall Glacier and the Dog Sledding excursions. We went on Carnival cruise line and I could not ask for any better experience.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_alaskan-cruise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b5c2e8b2-fa23-45ad-b6a4-5a3475d9f6e6Post:e1a61f90-7235-4b8b-ab84-265340a8c30b">Re: Alaskan Cruise</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nefarious had good input I think since she's actually been on one! I didn't realize the excursions gave you time to do cool stuff. Maybe it would be a good compromise - chill when you're on the boat, do more active things during the day. Good luck Jeter! Glad to hear you don't have to move.
    Posted by paintgirl[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  Yes, my grandparents love cruising so I've been dragged along on a few.  Usually we  use it as an excuse to see other things on the way- like we drove to Vancouver for the Alaskan cruise and did a few small backpacking trips along the way.  I don't like crowds and I don't like being on boats that I can't dive off of  so cruises don't work well for me, but I can see why a lot of people love them!
    imageimageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards