New York

Mini Vent

So... I finally got in contact with the music director at our church.  He asked if I had put any thought into what kind of music we wanted for our ceremony (I didn't realize this was an option... hmm...)
Anyways... I told him the only song I had thought about was the one I would walk down the aisle to, which is Train "Marry Me"
He immediately said "no."
Hmm... I didn't pay much attention to anything after that, because I was pretty upset.  I tried to explain that it is nothing inappropriate for a formal Catholic ceremony... very soft and sweet.  I didn't care if it was played on a CD or sung by a soloist... I just love this song (BTW... if you have never heard this song... check it out.  It is so sweet).  I asked if he would mind listening to it first before he made his decision.
The answer remained "no"

So... now I don't really know what to do.  It would be silly to change our whole wedding plan over a song... but I really love that song and I just can't picture myself stomping down the aisle to "dom dom DA DOM"  (trying to picture myself... literally... stomping down the aisle... kind of funny)

Maybe I just needed to whine a little.  Maybe I need to WINE a little.  Undecided
Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
Online Garage Sale
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
monica & kevin married 5.28.11
bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Mini Vent

• edited December 2011

Oh man, thats rough.

I get what your saying about changing churches b/c of a song, but its your wedding and your vision and if its not inappropriate then I personally would have told him "If you cant honor my request then Ill fnd someone else who will". Thats just me. If you cant see yourself walking to the wedding march (I cant see me doin it either) then dont settle for it!

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry.  That really stinks!!! 

Have you looked at other entrance songs besides the wedding march?  There are lots of nice, classical songs that could work.  Maybe you could use Marry Me as your first dance or at some other crucial point in the reception?  I've got to go listen to that song now!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I listen to the song. WOW! Haha. I love it and if you love it you should find a way to fight for it. Theres no comparing that song to you stomping to "dom dom DA DOM" Haha

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • amyegunnipamyegunnip member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's so unfair! It's YOUR day and it's not like you're asking for something ridiculous. I'm walking down the aisle to a Coldplay song haha so I definitely understand you wanting to do something than the boring, plain, old typical wedding march. I
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    They try to refrain from secular music.  It is a Catholic ceremony and wouldn't be appropriate... blah blah
    Like I said, I kind of tuned him out.
    I don't think he has a clue what song I am talking about.
    It's weird too, b/c this guy plays music for a teen mass that is pretty loud and hip and stuff (basically Christian rock with a guitar and drums and everything).
    I just don't get how this is not appropriate.  I could see putting a stop to dancing down the aisle to MJ or The Beatles... but this one... inapproprite??  Really.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    He said the pastor (who is not actually doing our wedding, but basically in charge) would definitely say no.
    I find this difficult to believe... and I know the priest who is doing our wedding would care less.  He actually took us out to Empire Brewing Co (a bar) to talk about our wedding.
    I dunno... sigh... nothing is easy I swear.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    I say talk to your Pastor and see if theres anything he can do. maybe he'll talk to the priest in charge. That way its coming from 1 priest to another saying i dont mind. Maybe?!

• edited December 2011
    Good idea... although I kind of get the impression (maybe I am reading way too far into things) that Father Greg (priest doing our wedding) is kind of like the "annoying, immature little brother" of the group.... which is exactly why we love him!  Lol.
    Maybe he can help us out.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    sigh.. so frustrating right?
    I just found out yesterday that our acoustic guitarist who would be playing for our ceremony would be unable to play anything classical, because he can only play folk and stuff like that. (Total opposite problem from you!!!) And for me, after hearing Canon in D (this is a great alternative to Dum Dum Da DUM) I knew I HAD to have it. SOOO I changed it all. I felt horrible at first. I cancelled the two acoustic guitarists today (this is what made me feel bad, it wasn't their fault), and we are now booking a trio (2 violinists and cellist) to play for the ceremony. If I had to change sites to get this song I know I would have.  GL!
    I love having other music, but I know I want to walk down the aisle to Canon in D!
    Also, Amy - what coldplay song are you planning to use? I'm curious because FI loves them, and we'd like to find something for our first dance that isn't too depressing...
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • amyegunnipamyegunnip member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Emie-I am using an interlude that's pretty piano at the end of "Lovers In Japan" - it's actually just music, no lyrics - they do have a lot of great love songs though! "Til Kingdom Come" and "Fix You" are really cute. I would definitely check them out :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards