New Jersey

A Question for the Ladies who are getting married at the Westmount

I have procrastinated long enough and it is time I book the room blocks with the hotel.  The Westmount recommends the Hampton Inn on Rte 46 in Fairfield, the Crown Plaza on Rte 46 in Fairfield, the Fairfield Executive Inn on Rte 46 in Fairfield and the Holiday Inn on Rte 46 in Totowa.  I read the previous thread "Hotel suggestions close to Westmount Country Club?" and some of the individual reviews that I could find so I have a little information, but where did you ladies book? Pros, Cons, general experiences with them?  If you are willing to share, the price per room.  Anybody choose a hotel that the Westmount doesn't put on the recommended vendors list?  Thank you for your help!

Re: A Question for the Ladies who are getting married at the Westmount

• edited December 2011
    That was my post!  (I think)  Our wedding is January 2011, so we still have time to look at hotels, but from initial research that a friend was doing for us, the nicer hotels are at least 10-15 miles away.  One that we will be looking at in a few weeks is the Sheraton in Parsippany.  It's 15 miles away and their shuttle service does include the Westmount.

Another option (which are further away) is the Hilton in Short Hills but it's about the same distance, just a different direction.

If you're interested in those, let me know and I send you some info.
  • edited December 2011

butting in...not sure about Westmount recs...but if you're checking out the Sheraton in Parsipanny. Check out the Sierra Suites next door. I used them for my room block and was so happy. The rooms were beautiful, the lobby area was great to hang out in after the wedding (and after rehearsal dinner). We were loud and didn't get in trouble once. And the rooms were $80 for the studios....a bargain if you ask me!

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Chelsea!  You know what's funny -- my sister was married in April and had her wedding at the Knoll Country Club .... she had her hotel at the Sierra Suites.  That was nice too but wouldn't it be funny if we had the same hotel?
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think so. People won't even notice probably. Seriously, your guests will be happier with a cheaper price tag! (assuming the Sheraton is more expensive, which I don't even know their price).  But honestly, my parents and my friends are still saying what a nice hotel it was, especially with the cheap price tag.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

This is something I need to start thinking about too.

The sierra suites seem very nice, but the Westmount is out of there 5 mile shuttle radius, but this may be something you can talk to hotel about.

My friend got married in June and used Hampton Inn and they were very happy with it.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_question-ladies-getting-married-westmount?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:0676000f-d731-4d49-9828-06110bd83498Post:910e8e52-2277-4ace-a032-dd9eb0c2614d">Re: A Question for the Ladies who are getting married at the Westmount</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is something I need to start thinking about too. The sierra suites seem very nice, but the Westmount is out of there 5 mile shuttle radius, but this may be something you can talk to hotel about. My friend got married in June and used Hampton Inn and they were very happy with it.
    Posted by bluepop[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain my hotel wasn't 5 miles away.  They have that shuttle for normal guests...wedding block guests are different. I had 2 big school buses for my shuttle, not 13 person or whatever shuttles. But I also had probably 60-70 guests staying at the hotel. 
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at a few hotels in that area including the Sheraton in Parsippany. I was originally all set on the "castle hotel" but then after I went to see them, I realized that the shuttle was extra and breakfast was extra.  I wound up booking the Embassy Suites in Parsippany instead (down the road) because it included the above things in their price.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_question-ladies-getting-married-westmount?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:0676000f-d731-4d49-9828-06110bd83498Post:b53c286d-2a51-41e7-a056-91d34742cc1c">Re: A Question for the Ladies who are getting married at the Westmount</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Question for the Ladies who are getting married at the Westmount : I'm fairly certain my hotel wasn't 5 miles away.  They have that shuttle for normal guests...wedding block guests are different. I had 2 big school buses for my shuttle, not 13 person or whatever shuttles. But I also had probably 60-70 guests staying at the hotel. 
    Posted by cvl105[/QUOTE]

Good to know!  I will definitely take a look at the sierra suites when I am blocking off rooms.  Thanks! ~ Jane
  • Kelly123TimKelly123Tim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    there may be "nicer" hotels farther away then the ones suggested. however, just keep in mind that some of your guests could potentially be drunk  and will have to be in those little shuttles cruising down the highway.  this is where my FI was like... get us to the closest hotel asap!  we didn't want any shuttle mishaps.

btw... lots of girls on here have used hampton inn and had a good experience.  i booked there and rooms were $105.

i called crowne plaza numerous times and went to the front desk to get info and got no response from the person in charge of room blocks. so don't be surprised if this happens to you.  
  • edited December 2011
    Update:  I went and visited some of the recommended hotels last week.  I did not make it to Hampton Inn.  It was a little further down Rte 46 than Fairfield Inn and my FI thought it was too far to go too.  (By "too far" he means I could see it from the place we made a U-turn to get to the Fairfield Inn, but am unwilling to turn around again.   = }     )   Out of the three I visited (Holiday Inn, Fairfield Inn, and Crowne Plaza) Holiday Inn was the closest to Westmount, Crowne Plaza appeared the most "upscale," and Fairfield was the nicest and most professional.
    The same thing that happened to Kelly123Tim, happened to us with the Crowne Plaza.  I went to the front desk, and the woman who was in charge of wedding room blocks was out and noone could show us the rooms.  I filled out the inquiry form, but she has yet to call me back even though they said she would be in the next day.  They did let us wander about the lobby and restaurant area and check things out.  Those areas are well maintained and very sleek.  They mentioned the bar area shuts down around 10pm on the night of our wedding, which will not work for us.  My FI is adamant about having the lounge area open for our guests to hang out after the wedding is over.
    IMO, the Holiday Inn was a mess.  They didn't have any suites.  The "big" room we were shown was dark, and by "big" they meant slightly bigger than a normal room so it can fit a couch.  The parking lot is around back, and full of pot holes.  The bar/lounge is currently under construction, but will turn into more of a club atmosphere than a lounge.  They will close earlier than we want on the day of the wedding, but we can pay the bartenders to stay later.
    At the Fairfield Inn which is a Best Western, the sales dept. rep met us in the lobby and gave us a tour of the hotel including a regular room, and the larger suite.  We also saw the pool (which closes at 11pm) and the lounge which closes at 2am.  The kitchen in the lounge closes at 10pm, and no outside food or beverage is allowed.  That was a drawback.  It's also going to be about 15 minutes (+/- 5 min) from the venue by shuttle.
    I am still waiting for the Crowne Plaza to call back, but I think they are the most expensive anyway.  If anyone has price and amenity information for the Hampton Inn, please send it over.  I checked out their website, but I was hoping for more first-hand opinions.
  • edited December 2011
    wow, hilarious to see that two years later the crowne plaza still doesn't have their s*** together. we had the same problem that the "only woman who can show the rooms" was out. clearly they do not want wedding parties at their hotel.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards