Not Engaged Yet

WR: Seating Charts

Yay or Nay? Those of you getting married this year, are you doing one? You already married ladies, did you do one?

Opinions.

Re: WR: Seating Charts

• Yes we will have assigned tables.  I've never been to a wedding without it, and I'm certainly not willing to pay for extra tables and chairs like you're supposed to do with open seating.
  • We did assigned tables to make sure everyone had a place and (mostly with his family) that the people that don't like each other were kept apart. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-seating-charts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:36127a93-ffd4-43b6-9872-02f7d06b1b5bPost:b2764cc5-10c6-46e4-978e-e1577a3a2e6e">Re: WR: Seating Charts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes we will have assigned tables.  I've never been to a wedding without it, and <strong>I'm certainly not willing to pay for extra tables and chairs like you're supposed to do with open seating.</strong>
    Posted by K Everdeen12[/QUOTE]

Never heard of this, interesting! I've only been to like 2-3 that had seating charts. I was trying to decide if I wanted to make table numbers or not based on whether or not we do a seating chart.

• Our venue provided all the table stuff (place settings, centerpieces, table numbers, etc) so I just made regular place cards and put them on a table at the entrance.  The place card also had a colored dot to indicate if the person got chicken, beef, the vegetarian meal, or the kids under 12 meal.
    Anniversary
  • You need to have something like 10% extra seats because there will be empty seats at some tables because of how different groups of friends and family seat themselves.  For example, if there are 2 seats left at a table, but a group of 4 is looking to sit somewhere, the group of 4 is just going to find another table and those 2 empty seats will probably go unfilled.

At every wedding I've been to, I've sat in my seat for more than just the dinner portion of the reception, so I appreciate being at a table with people I know (and trust, honestly, so I can leave my bag at the table).  I'd be kind of unhappy if I had to sit at a random table of strangers because I took too long finding a seat.
  • I am waiting to hear back from  my venue with regards to the head table and candy buffet table length for ordering my tulle. Maybe I'll see if they provide any numbers.

• It is way less stressful for your guests if you give them an assigned table. We did it, and I'd recommend it. :) 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-seating-charts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:36127a93-ffd4-43b6-9872-02f7d06b1b5bPost:bd5b6caf-e9e8-4783-9a7d-7f842bb3ae51">Re: WR: Seating Charts</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is way less stressful for your guests if you give them an assigned table. We did it, and I'd recommend it. :) 
    Posted by cschiano[/QUOTE]

\We assigned them to tables and let the guests figure out who sat where at the table.  Less stress....
  • We are definitely doing assigned seating.  I've only been to one wedding with open seating and it was awful trying to figure out where to sit.  We ended up sitting with my grandpa and a bunch of people I didn't know.  They didn't all fit at our table so they just pulled up extra chairs...it was crowded and uncomfortable. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-seating-charts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:36127a93-ffd4-43b6-9872-02f7d06b1b5bPost:555cf0f2-b9e2-4d85-82eb-29b33447c179">Re: WR: Seating Charts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR: Seating Charts : \We assigned them to tables and let the guests figure out who sat where at the table.  Less stress....
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

This is what we're doing. :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've never been to a wedding where I wasn't assigned a seat.

Anniversary

• We assigned tables not seats.  I hate going to weddings where there isn't assigned seats.  The last wedding I went to, we had to sit off in the foyer because there wasn't enough tables for all of us.  

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• We're assigning tables. I've never been to a wedding where the tables weren't assigned. 

• I went to a friend's tiny wedding that had no assigned seats or tables and then my cousin's wedding that had actual assigned seats. Because my cousin's wedding sucked and our wedding will be bigger than my friend's wedding, I think we'll do assigned tables, but I'm not sure yet.

• Grouping people at specific tables can be a challenge, but I think it is nice for the guests to have an assigned place to rest their stuff and themselves.
  • I'm answering from the guest's perspective, obvs.
    I appreciate assigned tables/seats for the many reasons others have stated. Also, I have a lot of anxiety regarding finding a table to sit at and eat. It's like the school cafeteria all over again. So, if you assign me a table or a seat, I feel much more at ease.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• I have been debating this one myself. I think i'll probably do assigned seating. (I really like Lyn's idea of assigning tables and not actual seats too!)

I really wanted to just have open seating, but then a friend of mine advised against it. She said her sister had done that. Apparently all of the "important people" (ie: parents, wedding party, grandparents, siblings) weren't able to get great seats because they were involved in photos after the ceremony. I'd be sad to see my grandmother stuck in the back while one of my FMIL's friends that I've never met is right next to me. Just something to think about.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-seating-charts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:36127a93-ffd4-43b6-9872-02f7d06b1b5bPost:f1bdaa0a-03f8-4943-875f-3044eb23a61c">Re: WR: Seating Charts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm answering from the guest's perspective, obvs. I appreciate assigned tables/seats for the many reasons others have stated. Also, I have a lot of anxiety regarding finding a table to sit at and eat. <strong>It's like the school cafeteria all over again</strong>. So, if you assign me a table or a seat, I feel much more at ease.
    Posted by beanbot2002[/QUOTE]

THIS! 

Our company party doesn't have assigned seatings and you end up sitting with peole from other hospitals and it does get crowded.  From the guest's prospective, I've never been to a wedding that didn't have assigned tables, but I could imagine it's exactly what Bean said.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • We had assigned tables.  And we had to be extremely strategic with placement of said tables.  We had major family feuds on my side of the family and a minor family feud on H's side.  So it was "Joe can't sit next to Steve who can't sit at a table near Bob who doesn't get along with Aunt Sue, etc. etc."
  • I'm the complete opposite. I've been to probably a dozen weddings in my lifetime and never once had assigned seating of any kind.
  • I've been to open seating and assigned tables.  I prefer assigned tables.  The last wedding I went to was open seating, and it was a nightmare.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Because of all this, I am now assigning tables. I've never been to a wedding WITH assigned tables before. Here you just kinda fend for yourself, but it does make me feel really anxious as a guest and it sucks when your group of friends gets split up bc there isn't enough room at a table for all of you. 

I'm hoping it takes some of the stress off of people to know that they don't have to rush over to the reception to assure that they get a seat. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Hmm interesting point of views! Now I really need to consider this. We do have fueds in my family also. The bad thing is, I really don't know a lot of FI's family since his families are so big.

• Assigned tables. I think it makes it easier on everyone. It was also a big help for the catering staff, because I was able to let them know how many of each meal per table ahead of time.

I used Wedding Wire's seating chart tool. It's really handy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-seating-charts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:36127a93-ffd4-43b6-9872-02f7d06b1b5bPost:f0382f4e-382c-4af4-83e4-c8c673f060c8">WR: Seating Charts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay or Nay? Those of you getting married this year, are you doing one? You already married ladies, did you do one? Opinions.
    Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I would definitely do one. I'm all set wih that uncomfortable cafeteria feeling where my guests would be wandering around looking for an open seat.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've never been to a wedding without at least tables assigned. I know it's a pain to do the seating chart, but as a guest I much prefer it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards