Wedding Etiquette Forum

Addressing Invitations with No Inner Envelope

Our wedding invitations consist of the actual invite, a SAS response postcard and a sleeve envelope. They are really cute! My question is, if I am inviting a guest (that is single), do I address the actual outer envelope to Ms. Jane Doe and Guest, since there is no inner envelope? I am worried that if I just address the invite to Ms. Jane Doe that it implies she can't bring a guest?!?

Suggestions?

Re: Addressing Invitations with No Inner Envelope

• The invites we chose from Etsy don't come with inner envelopes so we asked her the same thing. She said a lot of people write "and guest" on the outside envelope. That didn't sit too well with me because it's like announcing "hey, you're single" to the world. And knowing my friends, I do believe some of them will take that to heart. So, we're adding inner envelopes for like $.40 to solve that issue.

I do like the idea of writing "and guest" or somehow making it clear that the person is invited with a date on the RSVP card.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I added belly bands to my invitations so that I could list everyone / handle the 'and guest' issue.  I don't know if that would work for your aesthetic; but it only required a roll of craft paper, a few sheets of cardstock, and some double sided tape.  I printed the names; cut the cardstock to 1.5x1.5" squares, cut the craft paper to 1" bands and voila.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_addressing-invitations-with-no-inner-envelope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8c978ff2-377b-4fce-8708-a8dc853e74a6Post:93ece806-5112-4599-b022-269378380a4a">Re: Addressing Invitations with No Inner Envelope</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had no inner envelope and addressed the truly single with "and guest".
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

This is what we did. My mom expressed some concern with it, but I kinda told her to get over it :-) I didn't want to deal with an inner envelope, and have seen outer envelopes addressed in this way and never taken any offense when I was single. In my opinion, it's an envelope and gets thrown out so I didn't want to waste any time, money, and worry over it.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We didn't have an inner envelope either.

For married people...
    Mr and Mrs. John Doe

For couples (non-married)...
    Mr. John Doe and Ms. Jane Smith

For singles with a plus 1...
    Mr. John Doe and Guest

For families (with kids)...
    Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    Child X, Child Y and Child Z

We had no confusion by any of our guests.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_addressing-invitations-with-no-inner-envelope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8c978ff2-377b-4fce-8708-a8dc853e74a6Post:daadb5be-97bb-4457-914f-df4087c229f3">Re: Addressing Invitations with No Inner Envelope</a>:
    [QUOTE] For families (with kids)... Mr. and Mrs. John Doe Child X, Child Y and Child Z Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Would
    Mr. and Mrs. John Doe & family
    work for this too?  I have family with 4 children under the age of 6...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_addressing-invitations-with-no-inner-envelope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8c978ff2-377b-4fce-8708-a8dc853e74a6Post:28765067-fe6b-4eb4-876e-38eefb810048">Re: Addressing Invitations with No Inner Envelope</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addressing Invitations with No Inner Envelope : Would Mr. and Mrs. John Doe & family work for this too?  I have family with 4 children under the age of 6...
    Posted by sarahlm619[/QUOTE]

I would actually list the kids names.  There are some crazy people out there that may think "and family" means brothers, sisters, cousins, second cousins, etc.

I would make a point to list the exact people who are invited to prevent any misunderstandings or mix-ups.

• I know this is probably terrible but I've told the few single friends we are inviting ( budgetary constraints have lead to the guest list being about 30 people) that +1s will be awarded based on space. I set our RSVP date early so when I get regrets from some people I can let other people know if they can bring their sweetie.
    Trial and Error, finally trial and WIN
  • Also I have never ever received a wedding invite with an inner envelope.
    I think they are a lot less common then the knot makes them out to be, just like parents paying for the wedding.
    Trial and Error, finally trial and WIN
  • I know this is probably terrible but I've told the few single friends we are inviting ( budgetary constraints have lead to the guest list being about 30 people) that +1s will be awarded based on space. I set our RSVP date early so when I get regrets from some people I can let other people know if they can bring their sweetie.

If by sweetie, you mean boyfriend/girlfriend, then they aren't single and should have been invited together. If you mean just any random date, then that's fine. Personally, I probably wouldn't have told people that plus 1's would be a space issue, I would have just waited until I had the room and then let them know that they are welcome to bring a guest.
    Anniversary
  • We didn't have an inner envelope either.

For married people...
    Mr and Mrs. John Doe

For couples (non-married)...
    Mr. John Doe and Ms. Jane Smith

For singles with a plus 1...
    Mr. John Doe and Guest

For families (with kids)...
    Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    Child X, Child Y and Child Z

We had no confusion by any of our guests.
    This is what we did also
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards