Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Venue advice?

Hi guys!

I live in Belle Vernon, PA and I am starting my search for a venue in my area.  I am trying to stay within 30 min. of my hometown, so this excludes the city :(  The places that I have narrowed it down to so far is The Willow Room (which is 5 min. from my house) and The Summit Inn up towards the mountains passed Uniontown.  Has anyone ever been to a wedding at these two places? Any other ideas in my area that I am not thinking of? 

Thanks so much! Smile

-Christina

Re: Venue advice?

• steelerschicksteelerschick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

What about the Holiday Inn Meadowlands?  That is around 30 minutes from Belle Vernon and a straight shot on 70.

• edited December 2011
    I went to my friend's wedding at the Willow Room a few years ago and as a guest, I thought it was great.  There wasn't anything about it that I remember being bad.  My friend rented chair covers and had really pretty tall floral centerpieces and it looked beautiful inside.  I remember the food being pretty good, too.  

Another place where I attended a wedding was Linden Hall in Dawson (http://www.lindenhallpa.com).  It was okay - not spectacular from what I remember.

Good luck finding a place!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the ideas! I will definitely look into this place! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, Belle Vernon! I used to actually live in Monessen, but just recently moved to Irwin.  Try looking up The Fez, for the reception. Not only are the prices INSANE, but included is a free wedding cake from their cake vendor. The spot is pretty far away from The Mon Valley....it's in Aliquippa, which is about 15 minutes past the airport, but don't rule them out for that. I've considered the Willow Room, but their services for the price aren't nearly as good. Contact Debby, and she'll be able to give you all the information you need to form an opinion. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm basing this on the recomendation for the holiday inn @ the meadowlands....if that part of the world is an acceptable distance for you. I would recommend looking into the George Washington Hotel in Washington, PA. 
  • edited December 2011

I can think of 2 former knotties who had their receptions at the venues you mentioned. I think both were pretty happy with their venues. but that's about all I know. Sorry I can't be of more help!

• LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would you consider Nemacolin?  It's just about ten minutes past the Summit Inn if you like that area.

I'm no help with either of the venues you suggested, but I know I 've heard great things about the Fez!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    There is also the Georgetown Centre.  That's my venue!  It's right off of Rt.51 near Primanti's. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • strlzfan11strlzfan11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I grew up five minutes from The Fez.  It is a great facility for sure, but almost every single banquet we had (band, etc.) was held there so personally I'm over it.  I wouldn't tell someone not to go there, but I don't think it's worth going way out of your desired area to check out it out.  It is in Beaver County, though, which means you don't have to worry about the Allegheny County liquor tax.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the great advice!  I am leaning towards the Summit Inn, its just that I dont know of anyone who has had their wedding there to ask them what they thought.  If anyone knows of anyone who has had or been to a wedding there, please let me know.  I would appreciate any information I could get!  :)
  • reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had some issues with the George Washington, I posted about them a while back when I did my reviews. 

Here, I just C&Pd this from my reviews post.Ceremony/Reception Venue: The George Washington Hotel  Grade: C- (copy and pasting from a review i am posting online)

I had my wedding on Nov 28, 2009 at the george washington hotel. All through the planning they were more than helpful and accomodating for me. My ceremony and reception were held at the venue.  Once the day came, though, there were some downfalls.  The doors to the ceremony room were not open until 15 minutes before the ceremony, so guests were crowded in the lobby and rushed to be seated. I am unsure as to how the cocktail hour went, because we were having photos done at that time.  During the reception and after there were a few issues, also.  We had an unruly groomsman that we had to ask to leave after we cut him off from the bar, and the waitstaff were taking drinks outside to him after it was communicated that he was cut off; they were freely serving the photographers and the DJ, who were not to be drinking, and we didn't get nearly as much of the left over food as we should have.  We had a cake for 150 people, maybe 125 showed up, and there was not one slice left. the slices were only MAYBE 1/4" wide each, also, so its not like they were giving large pieces. Also, What food they did give us as leftovers, was cross contaminated so its not edible anyway. (They packaged the fish and chicken together), and we had very little of any other leftovers, which there was plenty left of when they were tearing down the buffet.  The suite was very nice, and they were kind enough to give the groom/groomsmen a suite to hang out in before the ceremony.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    **also, I wouldn't be as irritated about the no leftovers thing if they didn't specifically ask us to provide containers for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No advice here - I'm unfamiliar with the area... but I wanted to say Hi and Welcome to the boards! GL with your venue search and I can't wait to hear more about the wedding as the details unfold!
  • edited December 2011
    Growing up, I always wanted to have my wedding at the Summit Inn.  It was just a bit too far away from the area for my guests.  I probably shouldn't have worried about it, LoL.  If I hear or read anything, I will let you know.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also considering the WIllow Room and The Summit (with a few others).  They've both been super responsive to emails so far, which is great.  I haven't attended a wedding at either place...but attended a baby shower at The Willow Room a few months ago and it was great.  Service was really excellent.  Hoping to visit both again in the next few weeks.  Definitely keep us posted!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LTBarbieLTBarbie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Fez was terrible! DO NOT go there. Don't waste your time. Terrible service. They had high school kids serving my guests, who stole our candy bar favors and were eating them. Most of my guests did not get served cake (they only cut the middle layer for 100 guests) and the ones who did were not served coffee or silverware even after the guests asked for it. I, the bride, was never served a drink of water or offered a drink from the bar. The bartender was rude until my guests tipped her (which was included in the price WE paid). I can go on and on

Also, the DJ they provided completely blew it. He cause the power to go out during the father/daughter dance and made a huge scene how it was the photographers fault (who brought their own generator and their lights were still on), he played no new music, yelled at my little sister (who was a bridesmaid) for requesting a song...... His name was DJ Tom Danylo.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards