Hawaii

MIL/FIL?

Hi girls,

Just out of curiosity... what do you call your mother in law and father in law?  Do you call them by their first names?  Mom/dad?  Something else? 

Re: MIL/FIL?

• TripleAubsTripleAubs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have known them for a little over four years now and am very comfortable calling them Mom and Dad (and DH does the same for my parents). When I first met them, I called them Aunty T--- and Uncle R--- because it is a cultural thing here to call anyone somewhat older than you that. Weird, I know. Once we got engaged, I started calling them Mom and Dad.

a+k

Photobucket

• sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I call mine by their first names. I probably will never call them mom/dad.  FI's mom wasn't in his life early on and she is re-married.  I would call them whatever you feel comfortable with!  It could change over time where you want to call them mom/dad.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I call my FMIL Mom, because I think I would butcher her name.  Its Birgette, sounds like Beer-gite but there's in an inflection in there some where.  I can't bring myself to call FFIL Dad so I call him by his first name Morten.  Though when talking to FI's siblings I just say Dad.  I'm not sure what my FI calls my parents, I think for my dad he just says Mr. "last name" and for mom well I haven't really heard him nor paid attention.  But I agree with above go with what you are comfortable with. 
  • breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We call each other's parents by name. 

We were best friends for a long time before we even started dating so I've always called his mom D---, and he's always called my parents J--- & J---, so switching at this point would be a little weird.
  • edited December 2011
    Blah.  I call them Mr. Lastname and Mrs. Lastname.  Since the wedding, they keep correcting me and saying "no, it's Dad and Mom now".  It totally weirds me out :P
  • breanessbreaness member
    edited December 2011
    @ Tanq, I can't really wrap my head around calling them "Mom" and "Dad"

I keep thinking how much easier it will be when we have kids and they're just "grandma and grandpa" or "mom-mom and pop-pop" :)
  • edited December 2011

I call my them "future mom" and "future dad". Fiance also has a stepdad that he calls Bob so I call him "future bob". Has a cool ring to it. Fiance calls my mom "future mom". My dad is a little intimidating so he just talks to him directly and never addresses him as anything.

• edited December 2011
    Oh Tanq, that's super awkward! I could never do mum and dad to the ILs. That's just wrong; they aren't my parents and they didn't raise me TYVM. I call mine by first name.
  • edited December 2011
    I call them by their first names, but sine the wedding, my mom and fil have the same birth date and he was calling my mom 29.  So that's what I call him now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I call them by their first names.  I could see calling them Mom and Dad, but it's just not what I've done yet.  H calls my mom Mom, which I think is sweet.  :)
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    edited December 2011
    This may sound mean, but I call them by their first names.  I will never call them Mom and Dad, cause they aren't my Mom and Dad.  If I didn't have my parents, it may be different, but I'm just not comfortable calling them anything but Pam and Mike!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    is it bad that i just avoid addressing them altogether?!  my husband doesn't even address his parents as mom or dad, so i'm not sure what to call them either.
  • aliciacharliealiciacharlie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I love all the answers!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't sure what to call them.  I guess I'll figure it out as I go... =P
  • kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I call them FI's parents or by their first name.  I'll never call them mom and dad.
  • edited December 2011
    I call my FI's parents by their first names...I don't think I could ever call them mom or dad...it wouldn't feel right...I've only got one mommy and daddy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards