Honeymoon Discussions

Road trip/places to stop in VA/NC

So my fiance is afraid of planes, as has not been on one in over 10 years. He says he will "make himself" for our honeymoon, but I don't want him to be preoccupied with this fear of flying during our wedding. I am also afraid he will change his mind at the last minute. So I have come up with alternatives.

We are thinking about taking a road trip from PA to Ft. lauderdale (20 hours) and then taking a cruise to Grand Bahama Island where we would then stay for a few days. As far as I know, GBI is the only island that is possible to travel to via Cruise and Stay packages. Or the other option is to keep driving to Key west.

The Road trip is going to be a slow road trip; we would be driving 4-6 hours for 4 days, so that we can spend each night in a new town or city. I can Think of places I'd like to stop in Georgia and Florida ( I was thinking Savannah for night 2 and St. Augustine for night 3) But am not really sure where to stay for night 1.  It would have to be between Richmond and Raleigh, somewhere pretty with good restaurants and within 30 minutes off I-95. Anyone from this area or know this area enough to offer some suggestions? October is the month we are getting married.

Also any suggestions on where to stay in either GBI or Key west? From what I've read Key west doesn't really have many beaches, but what about the other keys?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Road trip/places to stop in VA/NC

• Where are you coming from in PA?  If it's not too far out of the way to take I-81 down out of PA, I would suggest that route and stop in Shenandoah National Park for the first night.  Drive the Skyline Drive - it will be absolutely gorgeous in October with the leaves changing and all.  Then cut back across to I-95 to continue the trip.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • I would stop in Chapel Hill- it is a cute upscale college town with tons of restaurants. The Carolina Inn is a splurge, but a beautiful little boutique hotel that would be very romantic, and it's on the edge of campus, so within walking distance to the restaurants.

I am a bit biased because I went to UNC-Chapel Hill....but it's a lovely area. Campus is beautiful, Franklin Street is the main street in town and it has great restaurants and little shops to stroll on. The UNC basketball museum is awesome if either of you are sports fans. There are always shows, etc going on in the area that you could look into.

I grew up in Raleigh and while there is more to actually do there (museums and such), it's a lot of sprawl and not really somewhere you'd pop in for one night and expect to see the "sights".

But the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) in general is a good choice- let me know if you have any questions!
  • This is probably a bit sooner then you want to stop, but take a look at Luray Canverns in VA. They have a motel on sight and I've heard good things about them. I've never been but this is on my list of things to see. You can google it for website. 
  • Williamsburg, VA is nice if you like history.  There is Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown.  There's also Charlottesville, VA, but that may be more out of the way.  I definely second St Augustine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards