Ohio-Cincinnati

Just saying hi!

I just got engaged last weekend (still have to look at my hand to make sure that I'm not lying).  Our only plans so far are: Spring 2011, Cincinnati.  Ceremony will be at my home church, Anderson Hills UMC (East Side).  Reception?  Remains to be decided.  We live in Boston, so it'll be a long distance thing.  Definitely thinking about getting a wedding planner so that I don't tear my hair out.

I love hearing about wedding venues and doing research.  I don't want to do it at a plain boring country club where everything is white.  BLECH!  I've looked at bit at Music Hall, maybe the Freedom Center.  Or to save money, maybe look at the Anderson Center (that'd be a two minute drive from church).  Our size will probably be about 250.

Anyway, just saying hi!  I'm so excited that I get to plan this wedding.  Of course, must focus on studying for the Professional Engineering exam in April first!

Re: Just saying hi!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats!  We are using Music Hall for our wedding reception in Sept and I love it.  If you have questions let me know.  Good luck planning.  I wish I would have gotten a wedding planner like I wanted to in the begining!!  :)
  • MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks.  I'm interested in Music Hall.  My only hesitations are the price and the security.  Although my other friends have said that the area isn't as bad as I think it is.
  • edited December 2011

Congrats and welcome!

I used to work at Music Hall.  While it isn't in the best area, the worst thing that ever happened to me was a parking ticket.  There are few non-reception places around to check out. 

The Bell Event Centre is beautiful.  There are more 'outside the norm' type places like the 20th Century or the Syndicate.  Is there a certain feel you're looking for?  Non reception hall is pretty open. 

GL!

edited December 2011

I think I have those three on the list, too.  Although when I drove by the 20th century theater, it wasn't what I expected. 

The only "feel" I can describe, is what I told FI, I just want it to be warm and inviting.  For everyone to have fun either dancing or chatting (so not in multiple rooms preferably).  Also, I guess, I want the venue to have it's own "character", that we don't have to do much to dress it up.  Beautiful on its own.

What area of town is Bell Event Center?  Should security be an issue there as well?

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• edited December 2011
    I'm using Music Hall in August.  When you rent from them they provide you with security guard/police. 
  • edited December 2011
    Music Hall aslo has a parking garage attached so it is pretty safe.  Music Hall can be expensive, b/c the rental price is high but you get to use your own caterer so that way you save money by shopping around.  We have 300 ppl so we couldn't use the foyer for our reception so instead we are using the foyer for cocktail hour and the ballroom for the reception.  Since you only have 200 you could use the foyer for your reception.  The room is so AMAZING that you wouldn't need to do any decorations.  Maybe something very small on the tables, but the room needs nothing extra!!!  You should really go check it out. 
    edited December 2011
    thanks for all of the thoughts on Music Hall.  That security makes me feel better.  I was also curious about the cost (I've heard it can be expensive).  We're just starting out, so lots of time to research and figure out the most important part . . . MONEY!!  (groan)
  • meggo81meggo81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Carnegie Visual and Performing Arts Gallery (in Covington).  It used to be a library. It might be a longish drive from your Church but it's a wonderful place.  There are lots of different gallery rooms and interesting architecture.   I'm the same as you in that I didn't want a hotel or something that felt too nondescript.  The space doesn't need a lot, especially when art is displayed.

The only negative is that you have to rent EVERYTHING.  They don't have tables or chairs or linens and that can get expensive. 

http://www.thecarnegie.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards