Honeymoon Discussions

Greece

Hi!
We are going on our honeymoon to Greece in a few weeks.
We are making stops in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, and Crete.
Any recommendations for must do's and see's, places to eat, places to avoid?
Any input is helpful!
Thanks!

Re: Greece

• I've only been to Athens and Santorini, but I definitely recommend making dinner reservations in Santorini in Oia to catch the gorgeous sunset. You can also do dinner cruises where they cook you a meal and catch the sunset on the boat.
  • Have you already booked your hotels?  If not, I can give recs for the first three cities!

How long will you have in Athens?  Most people say that you can see all you need to see in a day or two, and I tend to agree.  We had longer on our trip there, so we stayed for a couple of days on the Athens Riviera in Glyfada and Vouliagmeni, which was beautiful and relaxing!  From here, we took day trips to the Pelopponesian Peninsula (to see like Mycenae and Nemea) and to the Temple of Poseidon, but again, this is only if you have more than a day or two there.

In Athens, we visited: Parthenon, Acropolis, National Museum of Athens, the shops of the Plaka, Kolonaki is the upscale shopping area,  Hadrian's Gate, Skoufa street for nightlife, Syntagma Square, the ancient Agora, Monastiraki.  The Acropolis was under construction while we were there which was a bummer.  The museum was great!  For dinners, we just wandered around the area around the Plaka and chose based on the menus displayed.

Mykonos: If you're feeling adventurous, visit some of the wild "Paradise" beaches :)  The town is cute, check out the windmills, and buy some cheap jewelry.

Ditto the suggestion for a dinner in Oia in Santorini!

One other thought on Greece- out of all the many countries I have visited around the world, Greece was the one most challenging to me as an English speaker.  People either didn't speak English or didn't want to admit they did, and I've never had so much trouble getting around not knowing the local language, even with my guidebook and poor attempts at traveler's Greek.  We still managed pretty well, including taking the buses and trains all around Athens and to and from the airport, but I found it to be an unexpectedly challenging country to navigate!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Thanks for all the info! Our hotels are already booked, yes.
    We are spending 2 days in Athens, 4 days in Mykonos, 4 days in Santorini and 3 days in Crete.

We will certainly do the sunset dinner in Oia.

Is it easy enough to just walk around and find places for dinner?

Are reservations or anything necessary?

Good to know about the difficulty getting around with the foreign language. The guidebooks seem to suggest otherwise.

• If you're going during the prime summer season, I would say yes to reservations for the best spots. Most of Europe is on summer holiday in August, so things book up fast.
  • Mykonos-Paradise Beach

Santorini-Lucky's (at the entrance of main restaurant and shops area) for awesome gyros -went about 3 times!   In that area we also took the cable car down the island and did a donkey ride on the way back up.  Good time! Also, it is famous for its sunsets. In Oia as pp suggested.  We went with a tour and took wine, cheese and snacks, so beautiful and romantic. 

Had lots of phenomenal Greek salad-santorini is also famous for its tomatoes.

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • We didn't make any dinner reservations while we were there and just kind of wandered into places.  We were there at the beginning of August for the first part of our trip and at the end of August for the second part.  I don't think we had to wait once at a restaurant we wanted to go to- just our own experience!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Yes-alot of people don't speak English or choose not to.  Shoot for the touristy places, like most on those islands, and go for the younger people.  They most likely learned English in school. Learn thank you---"efcharisto"  :)  It does go along way...esp on the touristy places where these employees deal with all types of people and appreciate a thank you

I would reduce the amount of days in Santorini and Mykonos. Do your research on Mykonos to make sure it suits your style...

Fira has great cliffs to watch the sunset on but my fav place is Ammouldi by Oia.

You can walk all around within the towns but it's easier to rent a bike or ATV to go b/w towns.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards