Ohio-Cincinnati

Suggestions....

Hey lovely ladies!
FI and I are looking for a baker for our wedding cake.  We dont want to spend a ton of money on the cake so I was hoping some of you could throw some suggestions out to us =)
TIA

Re: Suggestions....

• mjc468mjc468 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think most people are going to ask what "a ton of money" is? As in how many people you have and how much you want to spend? I had 200 people at my wedding, got the cake from Marilyn's cakes in Covington,KY and it was $1.75/slice. She is loved and hated on this board (or was when I first signed a contract with her). But I LOVED her!! My cake was delicious and beautlfully decorated..many compliments and good price.
  • bbohacbbohac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try sweet waterhouse baker, she's in the reading bridal district, her prices are very reasonable and the cakes are super yummy!
  • kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Fantasy in Frosting. They were very reasonable, and if you go to the bridal shows you can get 10% off!!!
  • mollyfayemollyfaye member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I fully recommend Patricia's in the bridal district. They are great to work with, creative, well priced, and delicious! They work with all budgets and all design wishes, I have never once heard the word no and I've had some pretty interesting ideas!

Just a note on Sweetwater Bakehouse- one of my BM's was married this past June and ordered her cake from them. When we arrived at the venue to get ready for the wedding and saw the cake it was a disaster. It was the wrong colors, the cake was collapsing into itself, the decoration (a smooth buttercream finish with a fondant lattice border around the bottom of the tiers, nothing crazy at all) was beyond poorly executed, and there was a huge gash in the side of the cake. I made the call to the baker because my friend (the bride) was hysterically crying because she didn't want anyone to see it and couldn't believe she'd spend all of that money on this disaster. The baker (who made the delivery and set up) was extremely rude and actually told me to fix the pieces that were literally falling off of the cake MYSELF. I was shocked by her lack of professionalism and unwillingness to admit or attempt to fix her mistakes. I know that everyone has different experiences with different vendors, but I feel obligated to share the bad so that you can make an informed decision.

Good luck HTH!
  • DebbydewDebbydew member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Flying Buttercream. She bakes out of her house, and her cakes are yummy! Only $1.50/slice! http://flyingbuttercream.weebly.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies I will have to check into these places...
    Flying buttercream Marilyn's and Patricia's were on my list =)Ton of money would be anything over 500 for a cake, just not a huge deal to me rather spend more on something else...
  • dschuck23dschuck23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also are using Patricia's and have had great experiences so far!
  • afloggieafloggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using Flying Buttercream!
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Marilyn's and I can't wait!! Her cakes are very reasonably priced and very delicious!!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure where you're located, I'm up in Dayton.  But, we are using Ele Cake Company.  They came highly recommended to me.  We are getting a wedding cake and a groom's cake for $550.  Enough to serve 250 people.  One thing they did suggest to cut costs is to have what they call "kitchen cakes".  So, you get a little bit smaller scale of wedding cake and then "behind the scenes-off to the side or in the back" they have sheet cakes in the same flavor and frosting.  And, they'll cut those and serve as well.  Saves you money and all the guests are still getting the same cake. 
  • meldawnmeldawn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Affordable Wedding Creations in Covington, KY. I am like you and did not want to spend a lot of money on a cake. They are charging 285.00 to serve 110 people. I am actually having 145 at the wedding, but so many people don't eat cake at weddings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards