Catholic Weddings

question regarding traditional veil usage

Hello Ladies,

I will be wearing 3 veils (traditional) and the short one is to cover my face.  However, the mass is 1 hour long and I really don't want to be covered for that long (which I should've thought of this before buying it I know!) and I have seen in the movies that the father can also remove the veil right before giving me to my soon to be husband.  Can I do that? What do you all think?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
www.mrandmrsponce.com

Re: question regarding traditional veil usage

• edited December 2011
    Yup, you can do that. I have never heard of having 3 veils before, though. I had a elbow length veil with a blusher. My father flipped the blusher back when we reached the end of the aisle and gave me a kiss, then the ceremony began. You can see from my pics that it was towards the top of my head for the ceremony, but for the reception moved toward the back/middle of my head.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THe lifting of the veil is the symbol of consumnation. Don't have dad do it, let your husband do it after the vows.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_question-regarding-traditional-veil-usage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:ffc79cc2-be5d-4d6f-92fd-c869db501c96Post:eb93cd35-f1a5-4059-8874-15636f8b18df">Re: question regarding traditional veil usage</a>:
    [QUOTE]THe lifting of the veil is the symbol of consumnation. Don't have dad do it, let your husband do it after the vows.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

I would want my soon to be husband to do it but the thing is that its 1 hour long bilingual mass. we say the vows at the very end.  and I don't want to be itchy or anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    www.mrandmrsponce.com
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband (not my dad) lifted the blusher when I arrived at the altar. Our priest didn't care what we did with the veil.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have a veil over my face, I just walked down the aisle with it all ontop of my head/behind me. I always thought the vows were done earlier in the ceremony...is there any way you can change your order so that the vows are done sooner?
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd ask the priest.  I don't think the lifting of the veil is an integral part of the Catholic sacrament one way or the other.  I haven't seen a blusher on a bride for a while.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm wearing a blusher for my wedding next month, and I'm kind of curious about this as well. No one seems to wear them anymore, so I haven't seen one in a while. I'm having a meeting with our music director/coordinator this week, so I'll ask him. I don't think Monsignor cares one way or another. 
  • edited December 2011
    I had my dad move my blusher as he handed me to my husband to be. But, if it is important to you that your husband does it, have him do it.  If it is important to you that it is before the ceremony starts, have him do it as you reach the top of the aisle. 
  • edited December 2011
    Our vows were at the very beginning.  Have your FI move the blusher once you meet him at the aisle. Best of luck. Try not to stress
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to ask the wedding coordinator about having my husband remove the veil instead of my dad, I think that's more meaningful :) thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    www.mrandmrsponce.com
  • edited December 2011
    My church told me that I can do whatever I want with the veil.  It's an old tradition that we've kept for traditions sake and not any real religious meaning. 

However, I love the tradition and plan to wear a blusher veil.  I think I will have my dad lift it and present me to my fiance.  I like when the dad lifts the veil and gives his daughter a kiss on the cheek.  :)
    We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We haven't gotten into those details.
    I want my dad to lift it and give me away to my FI. Something about that makes me cry every time I think about it. I'm the baby of the family so I am the last one he gets to give away.
  • edited December 2011
    I will also be wearing a blusher and yes, my father will flip the veil and kiss my cheek as he presents me to my FI< future husband - almost like a handing off.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I will be wearing a two tier veil with the top tier over my face as a blusher.  I actually didn't have a preference one way or the other with blusher vs. no blusher going into shopping...I was going just going to find whatever style I happened to like once I had my dress.  However, my fiance asked me to wear the blusher style, so that's what I'll be doing.  (Where he's from, he's never seen a wedding without this, so it's important to him.)   I think it's really a matter of preference.  My mom didn't have a blusher when my parents got married, and that was almost 30 years ago now.  (Although I think it was more traditional *to* have one then...my mother the rebel...lol.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_question-regarding-traditional-veil-usage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:ffc79cc2-be5d-4d6f-92fd-c869db501c96Post:5f5e57bd-17b1-4d66-945e-b861b4d8781e">Re: question regarding traditional veil usage</a>:
    [QUOTE]My church told me that I can do whatever I want with the veil.  It's an old tradition that we've kept for traditions sake and not any real religious meaning.  However, I love the tradition and plan to wear a blusher veil.  I think I will have my dad lift it and present me to my fiance.  I like when the dad lifts the veil and gives his daughter a kiss on the cheek.  :)
    Posted by wallyandkristin[/QUOTE]

It most certainly does have religious meaning.It may not be part of the rites specifically, but there is definitely multiple religious symbolism.

-There is a veil (Wall/chasm, etc) referred to as the seperation between God and us. At the moment that Christ said "It is finished" (actually, more literally translated "It is CONSUMATED") the veil is torn and Christ brings new life upon the Church.
    He gives us Mary as our Mother to bring forth new life. Earthly marriage is an icon that points us to the marriage of Christ and His Church.

This is why there is almost always a veil covering the tabernacle (inside or outside). Mary was the living tabernacle that housed Christ in her womb.Those that are cherished and beautiful are veiled.
    Women are pinnacle of creation, which is why women all use to cover their heads in church, to show they are cherished and valued.

Satan hates holy marriages, the place that will gain souls for heaven. Veils use to be worn by all of the bridesmaids, not just pre-vatican II, but because the wedding party was supposed to look like the bride, so demons would not know who the bride is and they stand in the gap for the couple-- take the attacks and pray for the couple.

The veil a bride wears is symbolic when lifted by her groom-- symbolic of consumation.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

those ladies who attend the traditional latin mass still cover their heads for mass (at least the majority do) for the reasons stated by agape.

• Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lililuvsrocky, have you tried wearing your blusher for more than a few minutes?  The reason I ask is because I also had a wedding Mass that was over an hour long (Melkite Catholic) and the blusher attached to my drop veil never bothered me, or felt itchy.  And I loved having it on for all the ceremony pictures - it looked so darn gorgeous!  But it all comes down to your personal preference and what you're comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards