Catholic Weddings

confirmation as an adult--need insight!!

Alrighty, sooo I was born and raised Catholic and I received all of my sacraments up to confirmation. My FI and I, well, mostly me, would like to get married in a catholic church. My FI is already confirmed so this would just be extra work on my end but has anyone gone through the confirmation as an adult? I'm just curious as to how long it takes and what it entails as since we're looking at a September 2012 wedding. Any insight would be very helpful...I feel kind of lost!! I plan on contacting the church but any info here would be helpful! Thanks in advance!!!!!! Greatly appreciated!! Smile
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: confirmation as an adult--need insight!!

• edited December 2011
    I had to go through that too.  At my church, the classes were called RCIA and they started in September '10 and the last class was the weekend before Easter (we'd meet every Sunday for about two hours total). I didn't grow up in a church but was baptised Catholic as a baby. I needed a sponsor and since my fiance has received all his Sacraments, he was the best choice (at first he was a little reluctant but he enjoys it now). Each Sunday, we would start at Mass, listened to the reading, called to the front of the church as a group and then dismissed to go to a class and discuss the days readings and also discuss any questions people had. I've learned alot - don't be afraid to ask questions, even if questioning "Why?"! That's how you'll learn what the reasons are for so much of the traditions!  I'm sure the length of classes and when they start and end vary by church so your best bet is to contact your parish office and go from there. Good luck!
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I think the timing would depend on your church as I know my church starts classes pretty much in line with a school year.

But churches differ so I would inquire as soon as possible.

Good luck
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto the others.

I went through RCIA 2 yrs ago. The classes started in Sept and went through May. I was confirmed at the Easter Vigil, but they wanted us to continue attending the classes through May sometime.

You should have plenty of time to go through RCIA given that your wedding isn't until next year. But since you are only missing confirmation, you might try talking to your priest or deacon to see if you can do anything just to get confirmed. Although RCIA is a good refresher esp if you have been away from the Church or anything.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

M's poor H had to get confirmed the spring before their wedding.  It was probably the only thing that the church was firm on although they allowed secular music, flowers and refused a fee other than the organist/soloist.

He was in a class of teenagers because he works on weekdays.

poor guy

• edited December 2011
    If you only need to be confirmed (and have received first communion), some parishes offer a confirmation only class, rather than having you in the full RCIA class. Others, I've heard, will require the full RCIA. It seems that most RCIA programs run from the fall to Easter.

Either way, if you get started ASAP, being confirmed before your September 2012 wedding shouldn't be a problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am completing my RCIA (my church calls it OCI) this weekend at the Easter vigil. I started in October. The only thing I dislike about it is that we have to be at the 8am mass on sundays. I like to sleep in dang it! LOL
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, and if you start this year, you should be just fine for September wedding.
  • swalton86swalton86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks soooo much for all you insight. I felt like such an oddball not being confirmed but after seeing there are more people out there who haven't, it puts me at ease a little bit. I'm going to get in touch with my church asap but it's always good to have a little information before hand Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My Fl is taking RCIA classes ( with me as I am converting) for his Confirmation. We complated our classes last weekend and we will have it all done at Easter Vigil.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards