African American Weddings
Options

Officiant's sermon / speech?

Are you pre-approving what the officiant will say? Maybe after all the recent drama I am having, I have little trust in some of my vendors. My Pastor was going to give a 10 minute mini sermon about marriage and I have no idea what he will say.

At first I didn't mind but now I want to know EXACTLY what he will say. Is it rude for me ask? I believe he is going to speak from the heart so I don't think he has it written down or a template.
Wedding date July 7, 2012

Re: Officiant's sermon / speech?

• Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think it isn't rude but could be a little...zilla-ish...if you trust him to marry you I would ask him to NOT include anything you dont want but proof reading his sermon might be a bit much. Besides he could still say whatever he wants when he stands up. Don't stress about that!
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_officiants-sermon-speech?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:332d79ca-811d-49cf-a07c-b41b932f6ae1Post:c20c97b7-a871-490f-a834-720edb784a3a">Re: Officiant's sermon / speech?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it isn't rude but could be a little...zilla-ish...if you trust him to marry you I would ask him to NOT include anything you dont want but proof reading his sermon might be a bit much. Besides he could still say whatever he wants when he stands up. Don't stress about that!
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

<div>This!</div><div>
    </div><div>Although the last wedding I went to, the pastor went on and on about Gay marriages. I have no idea why he was using my FBIL's wedding as a platform to speak about the topic. The wedding was in NY and at the time I think it was just legalized. It was really uncomfortable since both bride and groom had family members who were gay and sitting right there in the church. These pastors could be really unpredictable, you just have to trust that yours don't do anything ridiculous. </div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_officiants-sermon-speech?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:332d79ca-811d-49cf-a07c-b41b932f6ae1Post:c20c97b7-a871-490f-a834-720edb784a3a">Re: Officiant's sermon / speech?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I <strong>think it isn't rude but could be a little...zilla-ish...</strong>if you trust him to marry you I would ask him to NOT include anything you dont want but proof reading his sermon might be a bit much. Besides he could still say whatever he wants when he stands up. Don't stress about that!
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I'll admit, I am turning into a zilla after the week I'm having. Lord give me strength....one more week!
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    You KNOW I feel you!

I do not think it's rude. I agree with PP that if he is doing the wedding, you should trust him. However, I know FI and I would  both want to know (and ask) for a summary of what he plans talk to about and the scripture just so we are all on the same page. I have seen both wedding and funeral sermons go a place they should not go. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_officiants-sermon-speech?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:332d79ca-811d-49cf-a07c-b41b932f6ae1Post:2a7c769c-f22c-4738-a3f9-7b8645468549">Re: Officiant's sermon / speech?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officiant's sermon / speech? : This! Although the last wedding I went to, <strong>the pastor went on and on about Gay marriages</strong>. I have no idea why he was using my FBIL's wedding as a platform to speak about the topic. The wedding was in NY and at the time I think it was just legalized. It was really uncomfortable since both bride and groom had family members who were gay and sitting right there in the church. These pastors could be really unpredictable, you just have to trust that yours don't do anything ridiculous. 
    Posted by rowenac82[/QUOTE]

BWWWAHHHAA this made me LOL but if it were my wedding I would be heated! WTH does that have to do with the here and now?

If he hasn't been off the wall in counseling or any other time you have heard him speak I wouldn't be too worried. I think the church has got your nerves jumping but it will all be fine! We're praying for you!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I think it could be a zillaish, plus you never know which direction the Holy Spirit may lead him in that time and hour. So I would say whoo sah and enjoy the moment! I'm sure it will be a beautiful ceremony!
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards